Balanced PCM1704 PCB

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Instead of waiting for someone else to design a differential 1704 DAC for you, why don’t you do it yourself? Isn’t that what diyAudio is all about?

Here is a layout idea for four 1704 DACs arranged as differential pairs using through-hole components. It is compact and symmetrical. I did it in about an hour using the free software from ExpressPCB. Four boards with silkscreen and solder mask would cost $179. Three boards without the frills would be $51. Because ExpressPCB doesn’t do bottom side silkscreen, the component outlines are all on the top surface and overlap each other. It’s a bit of a puzzle to figure out which parts go on the top, which go on the bottom, and in what assembly order to make everything go together.

Attachments

• duodac2.jpg
    duodac2.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 1,046
I don't get it. What's the benefit of two PCM1704 per channel? Why not just take one output and convert to balanced? I would think this is better that two converters that are not matched.

You don't get any more bits of resolution. Maybe 3dB of SNR. What am I missing?

hagdac.jpg

jh

I am looking for a DAC like this - go to www.hagtech.com/pdf/hagdac.pdf
but additional with a NOS operation mode - go to www.pavouk.org/hw/modulardac/en_pcm1704.html
so as a second solution for I/U converting as to find by Nelson Pass' "D1" DAC.

Who know such a kit?
Which switching solution is the best for selecting between the various modes?

Thank you for your informations.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.