• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Balance control tip for newbee's

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I will assume sarcasm is being used as a substitute for rational argument based on understanding and reasonable evidence.

The 'sound of tubes' is not a well-defined concept. To some it means a poorly designed circuit which adds euphonic distortion yet maintains plausible deniability (at least in their own eyes). For others the 'sound of tubes' is aurally indistinguishable from competent SS systems; their preference for tubes is based on other issues.

I certainly don't want 'tube sound' in my system; I want good sound from tubes.

Yes I agree, too much religion and not enough science always causes a problem - the emperors clothes and SETs spring to mind here.

What about Esoteric speaker cables. I don't use them yet they are sold and praised for there sonic virtues. And yet in an interview with a notes engineer named Malcolm Hawksford, believes sonic difference could theoretically exist. What measurement would Quantify their superiority. It has to be measured to back up their perception. Also who does double blind tests to determine their reference equipment.Even Equipment reviewers don't use them.

Also who does double blind tests to determine their reference equipment.Even Equipment reviewers don't use them.

Which is why no-one rational takes them seriously. When you can't tell amplifier A from amplifier B without peeking, but then write page after page of bloviation about the night-and-day sonic differences, it takes a special sort of faith to ignore the basic evidence.

yero said:
What about Esoteric speaker cables.
What about esoteric speaker cables indeed!

Is this a good time to tell you that Father Christmas/Santa Claus does not exist? It is hard to become an adult and have to put away childlike beliefs. Some audiophiles never make the transition; they continue to believe the nonsense they read in magazines and on websites. Of course, there is a whole industry out there whose profits depend on people remaining true believers.

They are hand-made and wrapped by Patagonian virgins by the light of the full moon, then transported via wormholes in the aether to the Maxwell demons at the bottom of your garden. Once a year, when you are asleep, these little creatures stop their usual work in quantum purification and drag the presents into place. This exhausts them, which is why audio systems always sound a bit fuzzy on Christmas Day. To help them recover they eat special sweets made of silver particles suspended in a teflon matrix - this restores your audio quality by New Year's Day.

But you haven't proved that it wasn't Santa. Many famous people have written extensively about Santa. There's articles about Santa in hundreds of magazines and thousands of newspapers. I've even seen him in local department stores asking children what they'd like for Christmas.

So clearly, you're full of it.

Disabled Account
Joined 2010
I've even seen him in local department stores asking children what they'd like for Christmas.

So clearly, you're full of it.

You were obviously deluded santa doesn't wear teflon..then again some of his helpers do...or was it latex..:D

I have some ideas for Xmas..I never get them so its obvious...they have a hole in the sack even though the pathway is silver plated..they still can't get it right..or they don't exist..

Humm then again you might have a point Ive seen him as well..:confused:

Regards
M. Gregg

SY said:
But you haven't proved that it wasn't Santa. Many famous people have written extensively about Santa. There's articles about Santa in hundreds of magazines and thousands of newspapers. I've even seen him in local department stores asking children what they'd like for Christmas.
You haven't proved it was Santa. It could have been someone impersonating him - there are commercial interests at stake here. If people want to meet Santa and pay good money for the privilege then you can be sure that capitalism will find a way to offer them a 'Santa experience'. In the same way people can be offered a 'cable experience' - sometimes this can even include genuine silver and teflon!

The presence of gifts is not evidence of who placed them. You would need to see them being placed under the tree or check for fingerprints. You can't offer evidence for A and then slide into a claim for B, even if B is consistent with A.

I can't prove there is no Santa but I could ask if you have ever seen Santa and your father in the same room at the same time?

The presence of gifts is not evidence of who placed them. You would need to see them being placed under the tree or check for fingerprints.

I can't see the back of the Moon or a proton, but all of the evidence confirms that they exist.

You can't just dismiss hundreds of years of knowledge about Santa.

I could ask if you have ever seen Santa and your father in the same room at the same time?

Silly boy, my father was Jewish.

When I am at my bench and fiddle with my favourite tubes I act just the same as when i was 5ys old. I was told to be nice so Santa would be willing to be bring me what I wished for. Mum and Dad had a good boy and I got a model railway. Everything seemed to fit and was perfectly logical.
These days I measure with what I have. Far from precision messurements. I do tests that come to my mind, inspired by all kinds of sane and insane sources. And I listen.
I try to make sense of all that. My private audio universe.
And then, from time to time I experience something that does not fit the system. Like seeing Santa's beard falling off.
These situations can be beneficiial if the search for explanations is carried out with one rule in mind: it can be explained by classical science.
In other words: if two signals sound differently on the same speaker they have to be different. Even if we do not know exactly what to measure or do not have the necessary equipment.

What about esoteric speaker cables indeed!

Is this a good time to tell you that Father Christmas/Santa Claus does not exist? It is hard to become an adult and have to put away childlike beliefs. Some audiophiles never make the transition; they continue to believe the nonsense they read in magazines and on websites. Of course, there is a whole industry out there whose profits depend on people remaining true believers.

Yes agreed its all sh*t (apart from Father Christmas), like mounting CD players on cones, getting the speaker cable the right way round (end to end) for the "crystal structure" when its AC anyway (face palm).

A fool and his money are easily separated. If you can't measure it, it doesn't exist - end of story. If there is a difference - it can be measured..... always.

I recall a visit to a very high end audio distributor near Aylesbury/UK. Proudly sporting a pair of SET 211 amps coupled to some hugely expensive horn speakers for "an amazing HiFi". On closer inspection this $40,000 "hifi" had pillows stuffed in the base of the horns, when questioned on this, the reply was - "they are a bit powerful in the midrange and it needs taming" - translated that says "they are very harsh and need a pillow to shut them up" - but hey, $40,000 that must be right...
There are some people who swear buy this stuff... personally I don't buy it (quite literally) :D

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.