• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Balance control tip for newbee's

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Not very long ago EDN would never consider an article about tubes, that would be blasphemy. They equated audiophiles as audio nuts. "for The time's they are a changing" to steal a phrase from Bob Dillon. This milestone for EDN I believe has evolved through the efforts of Jason Donald creator of this site, Jan Didden for Linear Audio and Jan Buiting by maintaining a diverse publication, Ekektor. There efforts helped to
legitimatize the audiophile persona. they have raised the bar of acceptance which allowed a hard core electronics publication to at least take note of the world of tube audio reproduction. I never thought this day would come. Now if we could only get SIT's. ;) Chrisra, the proper phrase was "straight wire with gain"

Not very long ago EDN would never consider an article about tubes, that would be blasphemy. They equated audiophiles as audio nuts. "for The time's they are a changing" to steal a phrase from Bob Dillon. This milestone for EDN I believe has evolved through the efforts of Jason Donald creator of this site, Jan Didden for Linear Audio and Jan Buiting by maintaining a diverse publication, Ekektor. There efforts helped to
legitimatize the audiophile persona. they have raised the bar of acceptance which allowed a hard core electronics publication to at least take note of the world of tube audio reproduction. I never thought this day would come. Now if we could only get SIT's. ;) Chrisra, the proper phrase was "straight wire with gain"

I don't really get what you're saying. It seems you confuse 'tube audio' and 'audiophiles' and believe them to be closely tied together :confused:

Last edited:
When you haven't got a leg to stand on you have to wobble around grasping at straws.

Who cares what EDN thinks about audio? It is a magazine. Many 'audiophiles' are audio nuts; some of them appear on this forum and make unsustainable (or demonstrably false) claims.

There is nothing strange about 'tube audio reproduction' - provided the emphasis is on reproduction rather than tube. The problem is that some people emphasis tube and 'design' awful 'tube buffers' etc. which mess with the sound and make it more palatable to their ears. Fine if that is what they want, but then they claim that their distortion is somehow more accurate than the much lower distortion which is the mark of true hi-fi.

Who cares what EDN thinks about audio? It is a magazine.

What complicates it a bit is that it's not a journal (like JAES), nor even a pedagogical publication (like Linear Audio), but specifically an industry magazine that is intended to assist manufacturers to sell components. If there were a few dozen tube manufacturers cranking out millions of tubes, there'd be articles about tubes in there. There are perhaps two or three manufacturers, cranking out a few thousand tubes. They don't advertise in EDN. So tubes are rarely mentioned in those august pages.

Disclaimer: I have written for EDN, though not about tubes.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.