• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Balance control tip for newbee's

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Pano, It is difficult for me to understand If you can't obtain good balance with two independent controls. Check the tracking on a dual ganged pots. they suck. Mike, If you want to know the answer to your question your welcome to find out for yourself.

Last edited:
Nix the balance pot, sure. Dual mono pots for volume? Depends if you want to listen to music or play with your pre. I think it is a terrible idea. If your pot stinks, get a better one, or DIY a stepped attenuator, or do volume in the digital realm if a digital source.

Frankly I doubt you can get better balance by hand at every touch of the volume.

Balance is important but you have to have the whole circuit balanced. The volume control is only part of the circuit, though most problems do come from there.

I've had twin volume controls, concentric volume controls and mis-matched volume controls, plus stepped attenuators. IMO they all have strengths and weaknesses. The big advantage of twins is I can usually find some suitable pots in my parts junk bin if I'm building something. Other than that, they're a minor PITA.

Stepped attenuators are probably the best way to go, though if cost is no object some will suggest transformers.

What I don't understand is why one would think a balance control is such a sin. Lots of excellent equipment has balance controls that aren't detracting from the performance in any meaningful way.

I modified a friend PAS phono stage with dale 1% metal film resistors. When we listened to the preamp it sounded different. Reevaluating the mod I discovered an error. I installed one resistor with wrong value. I did not see that there was something different about the sound, I heard the difference. That not possible if we can't rely on our ears!

Last edited:
Small frequency response errors can be relatively easy to hear. Putting a wrong value resistor in a phono preamp is likely to create a frequency error even if the resistor is not officially part of the RIAA network.

My point is that people who claim they can hear differences between components with the same value often seem to do this only when they know which component is which. They then often claim to hear implausibly large differences, which to me look like just another version of male bragging.

Hi Yero,

So if I understand you correctly, if I simply remove the dual volume control and the balance control in this preamp circuit, and replace them with two single controls, one for left volume and one for right volume, it will sound better?

061913.JPG

Mike

DF96

Yes I know that, I just would like to hear what the OP has to say. That circuit topology, believe it or not, was actually in a cheap Asian reciever from the 80's, i thought the schematic pasted inside was wrong, but they actually did it that way.

Mike

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.