Bakoon Amplifiers ~ Slipping Under the Radar of DIY Audio.com!!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi Folks,

Having searched on this DIYAudio.com forum for anything to do with Bakoon amplifiers and coming up with nada (nothing), I thought I would make this post.

I have the original little Bakoon amp in house. The 15w/ch Bakoon SCA-7511 Mk II integrated amplifier, $4K retail, made in Japan and with a proprietary unique Satri circuitry.

I have had quite a few amps tube-solid-state-digital-chip amps-ClassA-Passlabs-Firstwatt-Krell-Naim-Musical Fidelity-Supratek SETs-Audio Research-Accuphase-B&O ICE-Bel Canto-Tripath & Texas Instruments Equibit chip etc.

As a point of reference, I currently have Firstwatt clone F3, F5 amps, Krell KSA50, LM3875/4780/3886 chip amps, ICE ASP250 and push pull 845-300B-6SN7 Class A tube mono blocs.

However, none of these amps get 'under my skin' like the Bakoon amplifier. It is an amp that is lit up from the inside, free and unfettered of the electronics, hardly any sense of artificiality.

The Bakoon just sounds right to me ... tactile, connected to the music, tonally correct, extremely hear-through in character, the most transparent overall (even more so than valves, if that can be believed) and really good at the transient leading edges of the music, good at the attack and decay and it does this without any harshness.

The Bakoon amp is apparently just a well sorted Class AB circuit with unique Satri circuit, see 6Moons.com review here:

6moons audio reviews: Bakoon Products Intl. Amp 11R

What I am wondering is whether any of the DIYAudio.com audio gurus have studied or understand the Bakoon Satri circuit? What makes it so SPECIAL?

As usual nothing in life is perfect, as the small 15 w/ch Bakoon amp seems a bit weak in the bass and cannot drive difficult speaker loads. However, in the overall voicing, the clarity of midrange and treble - it is sublime, and possibly exceeds the best traditional tube and Class A solid state amps, IME.

Bakoon does make more powerful amplifiers up to 100w/ch, but they are quite expensive and the talk on the street is that the little 15 watter has the 'magic' .

Regards,

Steve.
My Blog: Steve M 's Audio System

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

your sca 7511 thart make you so happy ,but had it ever compared by you to a
Cavalli Audio Liquid Gold amp ???

Thought I would revive this old thread and see if anyone has either heard a Bakoon into efficient speakers or figured out the satri circuit and been able to replicate it. I have a Bakoon 11R into Lii audio crystal 10 full range speakers, ok before you all kick off, no single driver will be full range but it's not a woofer, a midrange or a tweeter, but a fair combination of the three. Without doubt the best sounding combination I've ever heard, ever I say. As Steve knows from experience and now myself, you owe it to yourselves to hear these amps with the right speaker to set a bench mark to aim for.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
CharlieLaub,
$47 of parts? Are you kidding? Have you bought a typical BOM from Mouser lately with this many genuine name brand caps from Panasonic, Wima, Sanken BJT outputs bolted to the floor, lots of small custom daughterboards with what appears to be lots of actives. These are probably the heart of the sound signature. Ahh, and I also see Takman resistors, a custom CNC split case to hold the PSU components and nestle them in books and channels. That’s a terrific idea to keep the PSU separated to contain the EMI and hum. There’s a set of what appears to be two sets of steel core inductors for the CLC?

I see a lot of expensive parts here. BOM is at least $500 to maybe $700 depending on quantity, Chassis is custom so probably quite pricey.

This designer paid a lot of attention to fine details. I think it’s quite an impressive and special amp based on build quality alone. Never seen anything this cool. Reminds of an old Nagra tape deck or amp.

Last edited:
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Yah, no worries - I didn’t realize it was a dragged up old post until afterwards. But the parts are still pricey. The layout of the case and separate PSU is a good idea though. Really is the best way to make a quiet amp. I see there is an RIAA phono stage in this and it makes sense to split the PSU to keep the noise down.

I dragged it up because I just bought the 11R and its astoundingly good and as this thread was about DIY, I was interested to know if anyone had tried a DIY version. Especially when they were disregarding it as nothing special and made with cheap bits. Shouldn't be that difficult to copy then. But seems nobody has.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
It’s not cheap and not easy to copy considering all those custom daughterboards where the real topology and tech resides. Plus the expensive components that we can see. Clearly, there was no cutting corners with this amp’s design.

There are some really nice public state of the art designs in DIYA that are far easier to build given full schematics and support from designers. I am not sure cloning this amp is viable without someone taking it apart to reverse engineer the schematics.

There is even a DIYA open design that uses daughterboards to allow various topologies to be tried in the preamp.

treat everyone's opinions as equal and valid
What a trite piece of nonsense. If someone has an opinion that 60% distortion is good sounding, you'd treat that opinion as worthless wouldn't you? What if two opinions directly contradict each other - how can you treat both as valid? Deal in reality and evidence first and foremost, opinions, good ones, are based on these.

Sound reproduction has a right and wrong, by its very definition its about reproducing sound without corrupting it (too much). Too much signal corruption is clearly "wrong". Deciding the limits is the grey area, but once you've done that you can categorize equipment into passing or failing at that target. Thus there are opinions about how much performance is needed, but not about whether something meets a specification as that's a set of measurements.

Life is short, don't waste it on bogus opinions, there's plenty of knowledge out there to build upon and work from.

Yah, no worries - I didn’t realize it was a dragged up old post until afterwards. But the parts are still pricey. The layout of the case and separate PSU is a good idea though. Really is the best way to make a quiet amp. I see there is an RIAA phono stage in this and it makes sense to split the PSU to keep the noise down.
There is no phono stage in the amplifier,

Nothing wrong with resurrecting old threads like this one. It’s not like we are going to stop discussing Quad ESL-57 speakers just because they are now more than 60yrs old in design principle. :)

I just wanted to add that I now have the Bakoon 7610 Mk II preamp and 7511 Mk III x 15w integrated amplifier. Fabulous products and I still consider them to be the best electronic components that have passed through my house.

The Bakoon sounds pristine and accurate, the sense of timing you get with the music tells you immediately that they have perfect phase coherence (no smearing). It’s almost like they slow down the music and you are able to make better sense of what each of the musicians are doing on the stage, like a performance within a performance. Ultimate timing, nuance and fine detail retrieval - probably a result of superb engineering ...that is why I have brought it to the attention of the DIYAudio community.

Cheers,

Steve.

Attachments

• 5CB80405-40CD-4008-B84E-B5BA00AD7C29.jpg
    5CB80405-40CD-4008-B84E-B5BA00AD7C29.jpg
    267.7 KB · Views: 197
  • A640F8B2-BA66-4795-A27C-19DFE91D9D27.jpeg
    A640F8B2-BA66-4795-A27C-19DFE91D9D27.jpeg
    360.6 KB · Views: 224
  • 2C925AB4-B050-4412-972C-26E3888328E5.jpeg
    2C925AB4-B050-4412-972C-26E3888328E5.jpeg
    260.7 KB · Views: 112
Last edited:
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
As I mentioned earlier how this Bakoon reminds me of Nagra. Here is the Nagra HD Preamplifier, the flagship product preamp - also with a PSU in a separate case. Lots of little daughter boards, nice mechanicals, and a nice price of $65k.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• A9669C1C-FE3A-402F-9721-F667C9304283.jpeg
    A9669C1C-FE3A-402F-9721-F667C9304283.jpeg
    695.4 KB · Views: 456
  • 58DF94B5-8602-4E5C-B53F-CA7CC05FC17D.jpeg
    58DF94B5-8602-4E5C-B53F-CA7CC05FC17D.jpeg
    415.7 KB · Views: 435
  • B29042B9-3CA6-47FC-B6FA-19ABE0AD8E1A.jpeg
    B29042B9-3CA6-47FC-B6FA-19ABE0AD8E1A.jpeg
    531.9 KB · Views: 440
  • 83573785-AB39-4872-AD53-FD5E3E3EF399.jpeg
    83573785-AB39-4872-AD53-FD5E3E3EF399.jpeg
    683.5 KB · Views: 454
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.