Bakoon Amplifiers ~ Slipping Under the Radar of DIY Audio.com!!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
snip

This is why the Bakoon amplifier baffles me, they seem to be doing something right, something that we are ALL chasing - ultimate fidelity ...

/snip

Sure, you can't argue with taste.. We all have different ways of achieving our audio nirvana, some like distortion, some don't (especially 2nd order). In my opinion this accounts for a large portion of what makes some amps "special"

Just my 2 (euro)c!

Disabled Account
Joined 2006
Disabled Account
Joined 2006
Excact, I was going to mention the ad844. Anyway the only difference between krell Cast and Satri seems to be that one uses Jfet and the other BJT. Perhaps interesting is that Charles Hansen proclaims the AD844 as the best sounding IC.

Last edited:
This is why the Bakoon amplifier baffles me, they seem to be doing something right, something that we are ALL chasing - ultimate fidelity ...

Cheers,

Steve.
Hey, Steve, nothing wrong with your blog! You've just been having a good time on your audio journey, simple as that!!

The answer is very simple, which is why hardly anyone gets it ... it's attention to all the little things, the devil's in the details type of thing. In jumping from one major variation of setup to another one may fluke it, but it's unlikely to happen, most of the time. What I would recommend to anyone to do, is to stop right now, with the gear you have, do not change a single component, but work out where the weakness are in what you have, and fix 'em up ...

This is an approach I've used for 25 plus years and it's never failed me.

Again, the answer is, there is no magic bullet, and never will be!

Frank

Hi Frank,

I'm OK with all of that, its cool ...

BTW, I haven't tried all that gear because I am chasing perfection/Nirvana, just having fun hearing all the different technologies and topologies to increase my listening experiences and knowledge base and, enjoying myself along the way.

Life is short, make no assumptions, treat everyone's opinions as equal and valid and understand that we all 'hear differently' ...so there is no right or wrong in audio ;-))

Cheers,

Steve.

Steve M said:
Life is short, make no assumptions, treat everyone's opinions as equal and valid and understand that we all 'hear differently' ...so there is no right or wrong in audio ;-))
Oh dear! I bet you don't treat all opinions as equal when you are looking for a dentist or lawyer, but go for one who actually understands teeth or the law. There is an almost infinite set of ways to build an amplifier; almost all of them don't work at all, some work badly, and a few work well. We should argue about the few which work, not the many which don't.

Cheers,

Steve.
Yep, there's no right or wrong; but ... there is a higher state of performance in audio reproduction - once experienced, never forgotten ...

I was lucky enough to get this over 25 years ago, and have been chasing it ever since. Once you've heard it there's no going back ... normal hifi gear, no matter how expensive, from then on always sounds like the name implies, a sort of a pretend thing. A bit like a kid who's playing around with cars in his early years, add a huge number of go-faster bits to his engine, lowers the suspension, wide tyres, open exhaust, the whole she-bang. He drives his pride and joy at 120 mph, with a huge racket and vibration happening inside the cabin, and thinks it's the most impressive thing you can experience. Meanwhile, a Ferrari almost unnoticed whips past 20mph faster, practically silently with its occupants largely subjectively unaware of the speed of their vehicle ...

Frank

All valid points guys and agreed there is a 'proper' way of doing things with electronics and the reproduction of music. However, I learnt some time ago it's pointless trying to change people's mind on things, they are at their point along the journey and it's best to respect this. The listening experience is so subjective anyway, no point arguing about it.

Frank yes, once something good is heard it is hard to go back. The little Bakoon is like that, they are doing something right, hence my enquiry on this wonderfully knowledgeable site as to what this might be?

The Bakoon amp sounds so finessed it is difficult to find an efficient loudspeaker to do it justice.

Steve.

Last edited:
Frank yes, once something good is heard it is hard to go back. The little Bakoon is like that, they are doing something right, hence my enquiry on this wonderfully knowledgeable site as to what this might be?

The Bakoon amp sounds so finessed it is difficult to find an efficient loudspeaker to do it justice.

Steve.
Steve, I can only repeat, it's attention to detail, that does it every time! Putting something together with the "right audiophile" bits, in a fancy case, with huge energy spent on marketing will rarely do it, the manufacturer has to have the right attitude in how he does everything to get the right result, IMO.

The Bakoon amp, if it has a genuine, high quality 15 watts, has plenty enough power to do the job -- a speaker of 90dB efficiency or better will be sufficient. I'm currently running 20 watts into about 90dB and that's all that's necessary to deafen yourself if the whole system is working properly. To elaborate, I put on a CD of Status Quo live in 2010 yesterday and was running it at PA sound levels ... my ears were sending me warning signals by the end of the disk ...

A lot of amps start to fall apart when you try and run them to generate realistic sound levels, compress and sound raucous; distort in other words. The thing with the Bakoon is whether it's capable of running cleanly up to the point of clipping the voltage rails; if it can do that then you shouldn't have any problems ...

Frank

I have a couple of boards/assemblies floating around in my "to be finished and listened to" stack somewhat similar to the current feedback/Bakoon schematics shown so far - one is from ~ 1989 or so Maybe I should finish one and give it a listen - I, too, was somewhat entranced by the AD844-style CFB topology back then. I was also using as a benchmark the current feedback amp detailed in the PMI/SSM databook back then (the "Alexander" amp, if I remember correctly, using an IC and some IGBTs in the output) - I was miffed that my design only clocked in at 75V/us - but then, it was all discrete...

Last edited:
I don't remember the site, was russian one -the name of the article was "Волшебные лампы Пoссейдона" i.e. "Magic Walves of Posseidon" -if You type it into the browser search field, can find a big article about sutable loudspeakers for Bakoon amps. That is, I should say, ...radical.

It is unfortunate that not many people have heard the Bakoon amplifier.

I have, but the speakers attached to it were too demanding and the result was poor.
What interests me more is not the current driving circuit (not new as has been noticed in this thread), but another one they use in the integrated amp, which varies the gain. I know of only two other commercial amps that do it this way, and both sounds great. No diy project unfortunately :(

PS: very nice blog, I have to re-read it slower :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.