BAF 2015 Coverage

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Pin 4 to (-) of 1000 uF cap
Pin 5 to (+) of 1000 uF
Pin 2 connected with pin 4 (is ok) and to midle point 0,2 R and hockey puck
Pin 1 with 100 R is ok.
:D :scratch1: :D

Attachments

• F60D4CF1-C99C-467A-B2A2-55D844D4CB4C.JPG
    F60D4CF1-C99C-467A-B2A2-55D844D4CB4C.JPG
    334.4 KB · Views: 303
  • 12DAF014-F266-413C-9997-FF233592412A.jpg
    12DAF014-F266-413C-9997-FF233592412A.jpg
    172.8 KB · Views: 293
Last edited:
It's not easy to tell the orientation of the device but Only 4 pins should be electrically connected

Well, I am completely stumped.

I traced wiring and found an error with the wiring of the opto, which I corrected. Here is how it is now connected, and is what the Generg-updated schematic stated.

1. Pin 1 to 100R
2. Pin 2 to 0R2
3. Pin 2 to Pin 4
4. Pin 4 to -ve of 1000µF
5. Pin 5 to +ve of 1000µF

But still no go. There appears to be some motor-boating at the speaker output, with DC oscillating between +15 and ??

I traced wiring and found an error with the wiring of the opto, which I corrected. Here is how it is now connected, and is what the Generg-updated schematic stated.

1. Pin 1 to 100R
2. Pin 2 to 0R2
3. Pin 2 to Pin 4

But still no go. There appears to be some motor-boating at the speaker output, with DC oscillating between +15 and ??

Do 4N37 work without pin 6 (base) connected ?

1. Pin 1 to 100R
2. Pin 2 to 0R2
3. Pin 2 to Pin 4

The picture looks like 5 pins are connected. Can you take another shot at different angles. EDIT: OK looking at it another time appears I am seeing an illusion.

Do you have a preamp that is DC coupled?
This is important to eliminate the motor-boating (as Nelson previously suggested)

Last edited:
Another observation: the bench supplies for the +60 show much less than 1 A being drawn even when motor-boating. This may mean the drive MOSFET is not turning on properly, and no current is flowing. Certainly not 3.2A as per the schematic.

One other thing, I am using a 33000µF output cap since that's what I have on hand. Should make a difference but just in case it does....

I tested the opto before putting it in, and the diode read 1.06V. A little high but perhaps that's what it should be. I will put in a new one just in case, perhaps tomorrow. But they do not usually fail, do they? For $0.58 each, perhaps I should have reasonable expectations...

If all else fails, I will just wait for the PCBs that Papa mentioned 6L6 is working on ;-)

Socket adaptor for ic save opto from too hot pins temperature in soldering process so they are not cook to much.
Turrets point to point technique are interesting too( example on photo)
Always more secure to have only soldered connections.
Twice fun debuging and twice joy to be one of first Diyers :D Hahaha
to discover schade feedback vfet simulation in single-ended 50 watts topology from Papa :spin::note:

Attachments

• DC1C4A54-4E96-470C-9E96-DB0DAE899981.JPG
    DC1C4A54-4E96-470C-9E96-DB0DAE899981.JPG
    83.5 KB · Views: 259
Last edited:
Socket adaptor for ic save opto from too hot pins temperature in soldering process so they are not cook to much.
Turrets point to point technique are interesting too( example on photo)
Always more secure to have only soldered connections.
Twice fun debuging and twice joy to be one of first Diyers :D Hahaha
to discover schade feedback vfet simulation in single-ended 50 watts topology from Papa :spin::note:

I am using terminal blocks because debugging is easier, and they also fit nicer into their eventual home. Turret boards are wonderful but the last time I had anything to do with them was stringing Black Beauties across them inside a McIntosh MC60. That was a L-O-N-G time ago....So I will start fresh tomorrow with a new 4N37 and do it "nicely". The 1000µF caps I am using are only for verification and getting a better idea for final placement and routing.

I am sure it will be fun when I finally get there, and before I can report on how it sounds, there is still the question as to whether a buffer is needed with my passive preamp.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.