B1 Buffer Preamp

I guess my question isn't clear.
Is cw to right of wiper tabs facing up
With ccw to left of wiper tabs facing up , looking at shaft.
Or, is it some reference to high resistance in position pot turned ( or low resistance based on direction pot is turned ..
I hope that makes sense.
BTW, thanks for the assistance.

Hi, I have some questions. 1:using 4709uf for C1 and C2 when using regulated power? 2: lower the two 1K in signal to say 500 or 750 ohm is ok and safe + better the bass? 3: using Takman carbon film resistor in atteunator, that hold, not put more in signal way, maby gett dull sound? Frank

Hi again, sorry for asking questions that already have been in posts. Have now read the 400 first pages and find out alot. But there is one thing I wonder. Changing the 1K output resistor to 330ohm, will that make soundable inprovement or have you got to go as low as 100ohm to get the benefit? The crossover I got next in chain has a input impedance at 20K. Frank

Got this running last night.
Not thrilled with the tracking of my pot.
Otherwise initial impression, in shop on shop speakers through class d amp was very good.
I'm open to suggestions on pot.
I have 25k linear in now. I have an alps 50k log I can use.
I was trying to find nice linear pot but they seem scarce

A friend of me will perform on his B1 (diy) some variation for additional enhancing the sound quality.
The article of his used preamp buffer is here:
PassDiy
He want to use a jFET for RF-applications instead the 2SK170. Mainly due the lower input capacitance around or even below only 5pF (2SK170 = 30pF input capacitance).
2N5484-5486, BF244, BF245, BF256, J304, J305 and 2N6908-6910 are examples.
Unfortunately Gm is very low. But there is the possibility for an extension of the circuit by a BjT - either as a normal darlington (Ultra High Zin Buffer) or Sziklai darlington (low capacitance wide band buffer) configuration - go to the NS application notes in the attachments.
In old publications sometimes incorrectly called as a cascode - go for desription of the circuit of third pdf to page 58 of last pdf.

Are there any experiences in modification steps like this ?

Maybe between R102 resp. 103 and R2/R3 an additional pot is necessary for adjust the center voltage.

Thank you for comments.

Attachments

• Ultra High Zin Buffer - National Semiconductor FET Databook 1977.pdf
    43.4 KB · Views: 100
  • sziklai National Semiconductor FET Databook 1977.pdf
    43.9 KB · Views: 108
  • Sziklai-Darlington-II-Theory and applications of field-effect transistors.pdf
    184.3 KB · Views: 93
  • Theory and applications of field-effect transistors.pdf
    1.3 MB · Views: 113
Last edited: