Augmenting the bass range of my speakers (inc. bi-amping)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
pinkmouse said:
I thought I was the only person that did things like that!

You need more sash cramps! :)

Yes! I only have the two! And two Gs, but they won't go round that.

Vikash said:

I'm part of the impatient club too ;)

Not the impression I get looking at your website! My stuff is all bare mdf ;)

Hopefully I'll get a chance to screw the thing together tonight, and then I'll give it a blasting.

There's happilly a natural lack of midrange coming out of it. My housemate has already expressed interest in taking this prototype in his car boot when I'm done with it... There really shouldn't be much waste, and I don't *have* to go ahead and use this design in my real hi-fi.

Hopefully I have enough parts lying around to make a 2nd order low-pass filter, and a 2nd order high-pass too! Or they could even be first order I guess, maybe crossing around 200hz. Any thoughts?

richie00boy said:
I'd personally try both 1st- and 2nd-order. Also, you could also try a low-Q second order filter. I can send you a very basic/simple program I wrote to easily calculate the values for second order filters, if you want.

Ooh, yes please :)

Right, I understand Q in terms of loading a bass driver, but not in a filter...

I intend to make the x-over variable using two pots (or switched resistors) for testing purposes. I'm not sure what the result of using a single bass speaker will be tho.

richie00boy said:
LOL just remembered the programs are on my website www.readresearch.co.uk in the utilities section :)

Q is Q, whether it's on a speaker box or a filter. It describes the damping and rate of roll-off.

Cheers Rich :cool:

I do basically understand Q I think, but not exactly how it pertains to the order of filter slope. I'll read up on this at some point.

I remember reading about it in terms of structural resonance, and particularly how Russ Andrews states its importance in hi-fi support design.

Q is not related to intrinsic roll-off - that is dependent on the order of the system. As the stop-band is approached, the Q dictates the initial rate of roll-off.

A high-Q system will have ripple in the pass-band approaching cut-off, some overshoot then a quicker initial roll-off which levels out to 12 or 18 or 24 (etc) dB/oct. Conversely, a low-Q system will have a droopy pass-band approaching cut-off, and a gentle roll-off which again levels out to 12 or 18 or 24 (etc) dB/oct.

Q is the height of the resonance peak, so in the case of panels and structures resonating, a high-Q resonance will be sharp and high, whereas a low-Q one will be broader and shallower.

Hi Simon,
since you are doing mid only with these, then the array does not need to be particulary wide. Height is usually not so much of a problem.
The trebles could be incorporated into the array panel.
Then the bass could use the empty space at the bottom and provide the support for the flattish panel.
Is a review of space requirement warranted?

AndrewT said:
Hi Simon,
since you are doing mid only with these, then the array does not need to be particulary wide. Height is usually not so much of a problem.
The trebles could be incorporated into the array panel.
Then the bass could use the empty space at the bottom and provide the support for the flattish panel.
Is a review of space requirement warranted?

Hmm, the problem is I need to build around my current speakers, which only really leaves the part underneath them.

Now that I've had a dirrrrty fryup I'm working on screwing this box together...

Hi all,

Got it playing yesterday, just powered from my Yammy DSP-E800 3ch amp, and fed from my preamp. No filters or anything, just a quick and dirty fun listen.

Attachments

• playing.jpg
    playing.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 170
It definately needs glue, lol. The panels rattle when the going gets tough, and I think the leaks are sort of unloading the drivers, so they move more than expected. The sound is fun playing garage or speed garage and it allows me to turn the sub up to match the mid and upper bass with extra low stuff.

I can now get enough midbass to feel it in the chest, which matches the subs forcefulness better. It was actually slightly scary listening to some music! (it was pretty loud..)

This little experiment was encouraging, and I can see two of these x'ed over at 150hz 1st order matching the main speakers and sub well.

People may not realise why I'd cross so low, but the reason is simple - I often listen to electronic music, and the power distribution is clearly skewed to the bottom end! :smash:

It'll free up my main speakers to do their thing more cleanly. Can't wait to hear it all properly now.

Attachments

• playing2.jpg
    playing2.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 169
It's all glued apart from one side panel (for access). That side panel was rattling a lot inspite of being attached with over 10 screws. The two large side panels desperately needed at least a small brace to break up the large untouched area. The glue is drying now. Still more cone movement and also port wind than I expected... Will report more when I've secured the side better tomorrow.

Attachments

• brace.jpg
    brace.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 162
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.