• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

AudioSector-chip amp kits, dacs, chassis

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Re: Output Buffer

rjkdivin said:

When you get the pricing for the boards and or kits worked up, will you be listing them at AudioSector, or on the forum?
Robert

Usually, the products that are copies of other designs, I prefer to run less officially. So I'm not sure yet if it will be on a website. But you will definitely be able to buy it directly from me. I just have to check it more thoroughly, I didn't even listen to it yet ;)

Please note that none of the current Levinson products is using that buffer. It was only implemented in what is now called, Legacy Products: http://www.marklevinson.com/downloads/index.asp

its probably better to get a temperature controlled one such as one of these. that way you can get just the right temperature for fine work and crank it up ig you need to solder something big.

http://www.lashen.com/vendors/CooperTools/Weller_solder_stations.asp

thats just a random page i googled, im suggesting you buy from them, in fact ive never been to that site before.

the one i have is just a made in china one i got from a local store. but it works very well.

Hanzwillem said:
Those EL2020s are quite expensive, but look very good. My regular source has them for 6,40 Euro a piece. That is three times as much as I have to pay for the OPA604.
Magsy said:

Not really a substitude but recommended upgrade, and that's what Madrigal was installing in (upgraded) ML380S. ADEL2020 has supposedly better specs than previously installed version.

DigiKey carries them at $3/pc (min 50pc qty required).

What would be still interesting is to get MAT02/MAT03 in place of 2210 and 2220.

she made it;)

thanks peter.

heres my idea if it works or not thats gota be seen;)

Attachments

• mvc-226s.jpg
    mvc-226s.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 2,286
So, in an attempt to try out a different set-up that might work a little better with my speakers I installed Brian's big PS board with the Carlos Filipe snubber. Being the impatient person that I am I hooked up the new PS board without testing it first and created two nice little fires as the chips in each channel lit up and melted before my eyes. :hot: In addition to the chips, both of the $7 tantalum feedback resistors are toast. :bawling: I'll have to clean off all the black soot to see what else is gone, but the boards seem okay. Guess I now have the perfect opportunity to try the Caddock and Riken resistors Peter recommends. :D An interesting aroma is still lingering in the living room...:smash:

Wade

The buffer circuit has been tested today, and I'm greatly impressed. Together with a passive Placette, it is way better than my modified Levinson 380S. The sound acquired completely new dimension, resolution is improved, but what most important, the melody lines are much better pronounced now. Each instrument and each sound exists in it's own space and has now complete freedom of expression. Small details, that were not noticed previously, are more obvious now. ;)

Interestingly, I placed the buffer between DAC and the Placette (10k input imp). I didn't try it the other way, but what I hear, seems to be rather hard to improve ;)

Attachments

• buffer.jpg
    buffer.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 2,057
However, this change is not only due to the buffer itself. Last weekend, I made major modification to my speakers.

Few weeks ago I've replaced the MTM Triangle/Raven combo with FAL/Raven. Following some suggestions, I was initially using FAL full range, but for some reason, I couldn't get into that sound completely, as some strange coloration and ringing was always present. Finally, I measured FAL and they had some terrible picks and dips, but this characteristic indicated perfect candidate for low pass application below 2.7kHz. So last weekend I installed a coil (0.82mH) in series with the FAL and I changed the ribbons to Aurum Cantus GS1 (they are more durable at lower frequencies). While previously Ravens were used above 12k, this time AC were down to 3k (with a single 6.8uF cap crossing). I placed the ribbons somewhat to the center, because it was only available support space around ( I also attenuated them a bit with 10R series Holco 1/2W resistor). This combination appears to be very good, and so far, those are the best speakers I've heard in my house, truly a curtain has been lifted.

Attachments

• fal.jpg
    fal.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 1,805
Peter Daniel said:

Not really a substitude but recommended upgrade, and that's what Madrigal was installing in (upgraded) ML380S. ADEL2020 has supposedly better specs than previously installed version.

DigiKey carries them at $3/pc (min 50pc qty required).

What would be still interesting is to get MAT02/MAT03 in place of 2210 and 2220.

hi MAT02 is better than SSM2210 though specs are the same.
I have tested both. MAT02 has higher Beta or HFe
:cool:
Of course Per-Anders does not believe me...... How many 2210 do you have for sale Per?:rolleyes:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.