• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

AudioSector-chip amp kits, dacs, chassis

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
1543 DAC improvement

-ECDESIGNS- posted a new 1543 design without using the VREF,

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=79452&perpage=25&pagenumber=115

Looks interesting and easy to implement.

Quoted from that thread,

Same applies for Vref (pin7) if this pin is connected to anything, sound quality degrades dramatically. This is caused by ground or power supply noise polluting both bias current source and DAC output current, then it's over. So never ever connect this pin!

I use 680 Ohm passive I/V resistors, this gives enough signal to directly drive my power amps (100K input impedance). Since I only use one TDA1543, I need a reference voltage for these I/V resistors. This is also required to use the actual DAC output current (that flows to GND).

Mains power supplies are too polluted for this, and a "floating" supply is required. So I simply used 2 penlight alkaline batteries (I needed one for the master clock anyway). Current consumption (TDA1543 powered-up) equals 2 x 1.15mA = 2.3mA. When the player is shut-down, the TDA1543 no longer draws any bias current, so the battery can simply stay connected. The master clock only consumes a few hundred nano amperes when shut down, and even less when operating. So the batteries should last a long time.

I am using TDA1543 with 680 ... 900 Ohm passive I/V resistor and alkaline 3 ... 3.8V reference voltage (like in the SD-player diagram I posted).

This gives 0.0023 * 680 = 1.56Vpp ... 0.0023 * 900 = 2.07Vpp from a single TDA1543 chip without using the Vref pin.

I'm using this PC Engines Alix as a transport for Peter's DAC:

http://www.pcengines.ch/alix2d2.htm

I highly recommend this PC if you know Linux or are curious about learning it. It consumes around 5 watts using the Linux app Music Player Daemon to play music located on a file server through an attached USB sound card or DAC. It does not have a lot of processing power for upsampling, but why would you do that if you have Peter's NON-OS DAC?

There is a location for a second USB header on-board. I was thinking you could hardwire the USB DAC connection to this header and run the DAC and PC off the same PSU in the same enclosure (the Alix requires only a single 7 - 18VDC supply.)

Re: 1543 DAC improvement

2A3SET said:
-ECDESIGNS- posted a new 1543 design without using the VREF,

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=79452&perpage=25&pagenumber=115

Looks interesting and easy to implement.

Quoted from that thread,

Same applies for Vref (pin7) if this pin is connected to anything, sound quality degrades dramatically. This is caused by ground or power supply noise polluting both bias current source and DAC output current, then it's over. So never ever connect this pin!

I use 680 Ohm passive I/V resistors, this gives enough signal to directly drive my power amps (100K input impedance). Since I only use one TDA1543, I need a reference voltage for these I/V resistors. This is also required to use the actual DAC output current (that flows to GND).

Mains power supplies are too polluted for this, and a "floating" supply is required. So I simply used 2 penlight alkaline batteries (I needed one for the master clock anyway). Current consumption (TDA1543 powered-up) equals 2 x 1.15mA = 2.3mA. When the player is shut-down, the TDA1543 no longer draws any bias current, so the battery can simply stay connected. The master clock only consumes a few hundred nano amperes when shut down, and even less when operating. So the batteries should last a long time.

I am using TDA1543 with 680 ... 900 Ohm passive I/V resistor and alkaline 3 ... 3.8V reference voltage (like in the SD-player diagram I posted).

This gives 0.0023 * 680 = 1.56Vpp ... 0.0023 * 900 = 2.07Vpp from a single TDA1543 chip without using the Vref pin.

Peter

have you tried this
your comment

Re: Re: 1543 DAC improvement

AlanElsdon said:
I am wanting to run a balanced supply into my Patek-style amplifier; I have had a look at the Edcor transformers (as you use for going the other way) - would these Edcor M2M600/150 transformers be suitable?
http://www.edcorusa.com/products/ShowProduct.aspx?ID=24

I have no experience with those transformers whatsoever, but if your source can drive them, the amp won't have problem either.

samoloko said:
have you tried this
your comment

I've seen it, but didn't try it yet. In general, I'm usually scheptical of claims like that. ;)

Peter Daniel said:
Here's a more detailed view, not all components are installed yet.

Hi, Peter

I got one plitron 97w transformer. It has 18V*2 and 12V*3. Can I use it build your buffer?

Thanks

Attachments

• 20081013161155.jpg
    20081013161155.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 1,200
Peter Daniel said:
...The sound acquired completely new dimension, resolution is improved, but what most important, the melody lines are much better pronounced now. Each instrument and each sound exists in it's own space and has now complete freedom of expression. Small details, that were not noticed previously, are more obvious now. ;)...

Hi,peter
i finished my buffer got from you.
i running it over 50 hours. sound like you said.

but, i feel the middle range sound density less than to connect USBDAC directly.

Attachments

• p1000761-2.jpg
    p1000761-2.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 1,123
Destroyer OS. said:
... However I HIGHLY suggest doing ones you listen too. The bennifits are are more than worth it. The poor CDs you have may all of a sudden be worth listening too.

http://www.audiocircle.com I invite you Peter to have a look. Squeeze Box, SB, Slimware, and Foobar2000 have taken over.

hi,peter

i also got USBDAC from you. it's very good sound and convenient to play WAV or APE by Foobar2000.

i strongly recommend you to rip CDs.

Attachments

• p1000766-1.jpg
    p1000766-1.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 1,107
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.