Attn: Cascadians -- 2006 RAW-fest

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
jamite said:
Any preferences on the beer? I don't drink the stuff so I could care less.

BYOB... so if you don't like beer don't bother. Usually there is a stash of softdrinks, but if you want a different fluid bring it. Last time, we all tossed a fiver in and pizza appeared (the burger's Cal remembers wasn't a RAWfest but a RAW show... Al was borrowing our ears to enhance his product line).

dave

the burger's Cal remembers wasn't a RAWfest but a RAW show
Those were damn good burgers too.... I like the pizza idea too.

Okay okay I'll probably bring them along. Maybe I can get some advice to try and flatten out that horrible response. I've been too busy to do much tweaking or make them look pretty (raw mdf at the moment...).

Could I get the address again? I don't quite remember how to get there.

Oh and sorry Cal but looks like I'll be taking your title this year ;)
You mean I'm back to being the one with the lousy speakers? Excellent, I win that prize again this year.

Wanted to say thanks again to everyone who helped put this together, especially Al for letting us raid his house for the day ;) . I had a great time.

The high end on my speakers seems to be really starting to come out as they break in and develop a less muddled sound. Right now they probably only have about two hours on them since they weren't playable until wednesday. I'll have to try those tweeters and maybe it'll help a little, but for now I'll let them break in some more and judge them again later.

Looking foward to the next one :D

Michael

First off, hats off to Al for putting on the event. Not only is his house nice, he's a great guy and so was the crowd. It's nice to see the old faces and some new ones and it was a good turn out. It was set up in two rooms and that worked well. Others will be chiming in so I'll leave the tech stuff to them.

I'm not at home so pics are later but thanks again Al, great job.

Oh, and thanks for the 10 lbs. bag 'o' crossovers. ;)

Thanks for the comments Cal. It's not so much the graph, they really did sound pretty bad in their first couple hours. They had a muddy non-involving sound to them... like they had a curtain in front of them.

I graphed them again today and the results are much different. It's gotten a little smoother compared to the old one (still very choppy) but you can even see in the graphs how the highs have started to come out with the break in process. They're producing sound they never made a couple hours ago. (10-15khz and above) Still a couple dips to work out but I'm happier with them now.

Attachments

• audax single - good.jpg
    audax single - good.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 127
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Michael's little speaker i quite enjoyed... it did the critical midrange better even than some of the bigger speakers. One should never have too much expectation for a single 3" driver, but even with its limitations this one could play music.

Having Terry's very well executed Pass XA derivative mono blocs to drive it pretty much made the speakers the limiting factor (more on the amp as the pics come along)

dave

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
And of course a big thanx to Al for hosting the event (and to John (Bent Audio) & to Bob *CSS) who also played a role getting this together).

It is always wonderful to meet new people and add faces to those who we've only talked with by email & over the forum (Gregg, Allan, Tim, Pail to name the ones that come out of the fog (traveling to this event from the island usually involves very little sleep :))

dave

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.