Asynchronous I2S FIFO project, an ultimate weapon to fight the jitter

It has better close in phase noise than Accsilicon at 29euro.
It is well behind the original WTMC which was somewhere around $100. It came as a crystal 38euro plus pcbs 13euro and then a parts order and diy soldering plus power supply. Can't remember what the parts cost but it is not available or comparable so no point.
Is it closest to the Pulsar? Seems like similar use case. Also unobtainable. Old posts showed a little better close in phase noise on the Pulsar. You have a Pulsar and are in a position to comment on subjective sound performance. Your thoughts?

@wlowes

Please look at the phase noise comparison chart.

For close-in phase noise below 10Hz offset, SC-Pure is very closed to the Pulsar. However, for the phase noise higher than 10Hz offset, SC-Pure's performance is way better (up to -15dBc/Hz better).
And also, SC-Pure's phase noise plot is better than all of the rest.

I use official calibrated industry standard phase noise analyzer for the measurement, so my testing results are trustful.
All other phase noise numbers in this chart were collected from public posts. I'm not responsible if they are not correct. Actually I have all the real phase noise measurement results for all the listed oscillators (I have all of them). But I don't think it's time to disclose them.

BTW, the SC-Pure test sample is just a typical one. I didn't use the best ones for the measurement. Some of the SC-Pure 45 can reach -116dBc/Hz @ 10Hz without any problem.

SC-Pure output is already in square wave (with a built -in ultra-low jitter sine to square convertor) so if a sine output oscillator is put into compare, the additive phase noise introduced by the sine to square convertor also needs to be taken into account.

PhaseNoiseComparison1

Ian

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Ian,

Ever thought of making a ShieldPi which converts GPIO orientation. I know that Station Pi could be used this way, but PurePi doesn't work well with StationPi. I would like to orient all the cables in the same direction. Stack would be a PurePi, raspPi, FIFOPi ult, ShieldPi, TransportPi. I know I could get any of the newer boards with connections off the end of the board, but this is for a less important system where a compact simple system is the goal. I have all the parts other than the PurePi.

@iancanada: my digital sources are a dedicated audio PC (USB output) and a CD player (SPDIF). I intend putting together a fully tricked out DDDAC, so I want to use your FIFO Q7 + your forthcoming SC Pure clocks. Which other (flagship) modules will I need to complete the chain between my sources and the DDDAC? (The DDDAC does of course require an i2s input signal.)

If don't need the Rpi, to build a full function DDC, there will be two solutions

1. Potable solution
a. ReceiverPi DDC (a USB interface can be installed)
b. FifoPiQ7
c. MonitorPi Pro
d. TransportPi AES or HdmiPiPro
Can use PurePi as power supply

2. Desk to solution
a. StationPi Pro (a USB interface can be installed)
b. StationPi Controller (STPC)
c. FifoPiQ7
Can use LinearPi 5V for dirty side
Use LifePO4 Mini w/wo UcConditioner 3.3V or UcPure3.3V for the clean side.

Ian

If don't need the Rpi, to build a full function DDC, there will be two solutions

1. Potable solution
a. ReceiverPi DDC (a USB interface can be installed)
b. FifoPiQ7
c. MonitorPi Pro
Can use PurePi as power supply

2. Desk to solution
a. StationPi Pro (a USB interface can be installed)
b. StationPi Controller (STPC)
c. FifoPiQ7
Can use LinearPi 5V for dirty side
Use LifePO4 Mini w/wo UcConditioner 3.3V or UcPure3.3V for the clean side.

Ian
Thanks Ian, which of those 2 would give the best sound do you think?

3.3 ucConditioner 2 is installed. I honestly didn't expect any sonic changes, but to my surprise, a significant amount of body and meat is added. Not that those things are lacking befire the uc Conditioner. Impressive. The UCs have very little run time, hopefully as things settle in the next couple days the improvement will be even more prounced.

I've learned alot and will continue to explore this DIY "thingie".

Thanks Ian for providing the parts to do so.

_DSC3457.jpg

Reactions: 7 users
@wudai_e

Your project looks very nice. Very cognized and well down. You did a good job. Congratulations!

I like the anti-vibration processes. Actually it's very important for low phase noise applications. And also, good low noise high dynamic power supplies really work for sound quality.
Thank you so much for shearing with the community. Looking forward to your new updates.

Ian

Reactions: 1 users
I agree with Ian. It's nice to see a project with a foundation based on anti-vibration.

Since the other clock thread is basically closed, I was never able to pick-up how others optimised their clock. I remembered someone hung their external clock in mid-air via wires. So I'm guessing a Anti-Gravity device powered by Element 115 which creates a gravity field around the external clock would be optimal.

For a Non-Ian Project, I had extra Sound Dampening (absorbs not distributes vibration) leftover so I applied it inside and outside my External Clock Case. I almost purchased VibraPods as an tack-on to qualify for Free Shipping, but I decided against that project. Since Ian thinks in theory that it's a good idea to tackle anti-vibration, I'll keep an open mind next time I stumble upon anti-vibration gear.

It's a pretty good deal if you live in the States as it qualifies for Free Shipping if you select "5 Sheets":

ss.png

https://www.secondskinaudio.com/sound-deadening/damplifier-pro-small-project

Last edited:
These tape seems to be much thiner and easier to hide inside the case/stack, just not sure how effective it will be. Or will it be a bad idea if I just stick some on top of the clock package. The tech paper says it's good for metal and composite, didn't mention wood or bamboo... /shrug, guess will have to apply to find out. The tape's adhesive side is non-conductive, shiny is AL.

Screenshot 2023-08-23 185248.png

I like the 3M EMI Sheets too. Anywhere I can plug in 3M into my project I will eventually attempt. You can't go wrong with 3M.

I don't know if I would purchase Second Skin Dampener just for this project. I had leftover and that was the only reason I applied to this project.

I think I was working on a iPhone headset with a high quality lossless cardoid microphone which I wanted to dampen external noises by 30db, so I can make phone calls with less distrations. So I ordered five sheets and had 3-4 sheets leftover to apply for my external clock, but the primary for the order was for my headset not external clock. The internals are filled with sound proofing and sound blocking material, but I wanted to dampen the ear cups along with an adhesive to close off the internals.

SS.jpg

Last edited: