Asynchronous I2S FIFO project, an ultimate weapon to fight the jitter

@Ian
I don't participate in the groups buy I will order immediately when the SC-PURE audio clocks 45.1584MHz/49.1520MHz are available.

Please can you give us approximate price and date in weeks or months when available?
Because I am very curious about the sound quality of your new audio clocks.
Till now I use the standard clocks in the fifopi q7.

Regards,
Rudy

Reactions: 1 user
Are many RPI users leave their RPI’s running 24/7? Or are there other options to shutdow?
I leave mine on 24/7. FWIW I built the case with 2 power switches. One for digital left on (Rpi,FIFO,DAC) and the other for triode buffer which is switched on only when listening. WTMC/oven also powered. No idea if it makes much difference but I think DACs sound best after being powered for a while. Even with the digital side always warm the system still sounds best after 30 mins when amps settle in.
Could be my imagination, but I feel sound improves following a reboot of the pi running moOde. So I generally do a soft reboot while the amps are warming up. Realize it sounds nuts, but audiophile :)

@Ian
I don't participate in the groups buy I will order immediately when the SC-PURE audio clocks 45.1584MHz/49.1520MHz are available.

Please can you give us approximate price and date in weeks or months when available?
Because I am very curious about the sound quality of your new audio clocks.
Till now I use the standard clocks in the fifopi q7.

Regards,
Rudy
Hi Rudy,

The quantity of SC-Pure first production could be limited and the GB2023 list has the higher priority. Otherwise the lead time will be 8 weeks and without the GB discount.
The Q7 supplied clocks are SMT version AS318-B. They are not bad, at the same level as CCHD957. But SC-Pure will be in a much higher grade.

Good weekend.
Ian

FSZH42,

Not saying you should follow this, just putting it out there, the quality of streaming with a dedicated streamer, be it over a subsription or over a network bridge with your local music files doesn't sound like yesteryear. It had evolved quickly. It can sound really really good and gives your best CD players a run for their money. I'm talking about CD players in the 3-4k price range.
Hi wudai_e:

Thanks for your input! I guess I am just a little old fashion in my ways..lol Not that I am against paying a monthly fee for music, I've read a little on the subject and feel like it can be controversial, as some of these music server providers don't send lossless data and such, perhaps compressed would be a better word?! I imagine they do have some good ones out there, but I really haven't dug deep enough into it to know which ones would be the better choices. Perhaps you'd like to fill me in as to your experiences with some? Do they allow one to download music files? I have a good bit of my own music files I've collected over the years on my PC (Windows 10/64-bit OS), mainly FLAC files, but also other file types such as wav, aif, mp3's, etc. I use JRiver to play these files.

You mentioned that the sound quality using this dedicated streamer can sound as good as some of the top tier CD players, is this due to a particular setup you are using? I'm thinking in terms of using something like the Node/Node 2i? I'm really just trying to figure this all out so I have a better understanding about streaming music! Thanks again!

@FSHZ42

I don't know if you are the techie/tinkerer type or like components that's more user friendly like apple devices. If you are the later, just get a node 2i or whichever the latest version and enjoy the music.

If you are among the first group of people, start looking into how to get decent power supplies for your network components that's feeding your streamer, how to iscolate the streamer with a dedicated network switch, and how to get the best power supplies for your streamer. That's where I spend my $$$ and start to see real gains on streaming sound quality. The streamer itself can be a really cheap Pi 3 or a prebuild device, I'd recommend a iFi zen Stream to start, it's a 400 dollar device but it can be quirky at times. The latest Pi 4 B's USB 3.0 ports sound great too with no mods.

I use Qobuz(better classical musiccatalog imo) for streaming and some local FLAC, DSD files via Roon only so take that into account.

Ian's Pi HATs are highly recommended too, that's where I want to see can a Pi DIY streamer beat the commercial stuff out there.

I'd start with a Pi, or Zen stream, if I like the sound, then take small steps to improve my power quality and network signal feeding my digital front end. If I don't like how a Pi or Zen sounded off the bat, stop, return them and just go back to enjoy my music with my existing gear.

The thing with digital stream, you have to put work into it for it to sound as good as a top tier CD player. I have a Marantz Reference Player, same album, via the Marantz or my streaming setup, the sound quality is a toss, very minor difference here and there but I'm happy with both. But that's after I've spend some time and $$ on my power supplies and network setups. The streamer was a Node 2i pre covid version, then an iFi streamer, then just very recenlty a Raspberry Pi with Ian's different HATs using I2s feeding into my DAC. If you look at Ian's Pi products, you'll see a lot of gizmos related to power conditioning.

The rest of my chain are PS Audio DS DAC MKII, a Mcintosh preamp feeding into some PS audio BHKs and speakers are Focal Kantas. The price of the streamer is out of place compare to the rest of my gear but the sound is not, not even a bit.

It's a rabbit hole, but I had ton of fun working on it. But if you want a buy, set and forget device, stick with commercial gear.

Reactions: 2 users
MonitorPi Pro

I never thought that the new MonitorPi Pro could be so powerful. At the beginning of the project, I just want to add a bigger and replaceable OLED and integrate the ESS controller function. But now, the MonitorPi Pro becomes a fully integrated control center. There are a lot of features you have never imagined.

1. Integrates a DDC controller that can control ReceiverPiPro II, upcoming ReceiverPiDDC and even StationPiPro to build a fully functional DDC streamer or DAC.
2. Integrates a UcPure SYNC charging controller and will support upcoming PurePi MkII
3. Auto detect and control Ian ESS DACs
4. Can even auto detect and control Audiophonics ESS DAC
5. Integrates FifoPi Q7 Controller
5. Support Apple IR remote
6. Control knob pre-installed
7. 1.54" replaceable OLED screen with screen saver function
8. Fully GPIO digital music signal monitoring and analyzing functions

MonitorPiPro0 by Ian, on Flickr
Look very interesting Ian🙂 Nice work🙂

Will the new MonitorPi Pro have different skins/screens, if you know what I mean, depending on what you are using the screen for?
Could there be a simple screen just showing the db volume when using the ESS controller for instance?🙂

@wudai_e

Thanks again for your info! So, is my understanding correct about these individual PCB's from Ian, mainly for DIY'ers to build a device for streaming music from a music server? It was my impression that these pcb components could be built and also upgraded for use without using or paying for a music streaming server? Perhaps I have overlooked something. I see where Ian had mentioned this MonitorPi Pro that could accept the cables I already own? I mean I paid a good bit for the Wire World USB Platinum 5 meter length cable and would hate to think it has become useless with this newer technology? Not sure if they have adaptors to convert USB and such so that it would work with one of the modules Ian offers?

And yes I do like to tinker with building my own components rather than purchase commercial ones. I'm wondering if I could build something using Ian's components that could suffice the most used input and output connections I already have? I wouldn't mind purchasing the necessary components, as long as I could also have the options of using this completed device for bypassing my personal cd player's DAC and also still be able to use my USB 2.0 cable to this device that could plug into the back of my Peachtree Audio Grand-Pre inputs? I imagine like all-in-one digital connectors I would need to use it for that sole purpose. I hope this make sense and could this be possible? Thanks again my friend! :)

@wudai_e

Ah, that would be great then! So I could actually use the connections I already have, as well as stream music from a good server like this Qobuz you mentioned? If that's the case, then I guess I just have to wait until this ReceiverPi DCC becomes available in a couple of months. Then I can get other components to make a complete build :) Thanks again buddy! Appreciate your info! I take it that this ReceiverPi DCC would be on the bottom of the totem pole? lol.. Then I could build up with other pcb's/components that would give me the complete package, minus the PS, wires, and such? I also want to be able to change out any components that would make the sound better for future components, without having to build another completed unit that can't be upgraded.

@wudai_e

I didn't mean it like I probably typed it..lol I was just saying in other words that this ReceiverPi DCC may go on the bottom of the build and then stack up the other components on top of that. I may be incorrect about the actual placements of the individual components, but I guess with some help I can figure it out. I imagine the main source for the best sonics would have to do with the clocks and a good quiet PS?

ReceiverPi DDC is a smart design. It works either with a RPi or without a RPi.

For RPi free applications (can make use of your current cables), Yes it will be at the bottom of the stack. The configuration will be:

1. ReceiverPi DDC
2. FifoPiQ7
3. Transport Hat or DAC Hat.
4. MonitorPi Pro

No software is needed for this configuration. It can take RAC,OPT,I2S over HDMI or USB (Amanero Com384 USB or computable need to be installed to ReceiverPi DDC). So to build a full function ultra-low jitter DDC will be very easy.

Ian

Reactions: 1 users
@iancanada

Hi Ian! Thanks for that info! That seems to be what I would be interested in. What about the output connectors, can I get RCA L/R channel? And also this build will be upgradeable in future for better sonics/sound? Thanks!

P.S. Can you tell me what the difference is between the Transport Hat and the DAC hat?

Last edited:
@wcwc

Thank you! I was thinking about bypassing the DAC in my NAD C542 cd player using a coaxial digital cable going into a separate DAC. Not that it sounds bad, but I would imagine I could get better results using this DAC Hat from Ian? I imagine I could run the digital output signal from CD Player to the ReceiverPi DDC and then run the output side from the DAC Hat into the RCA inputs on my preamp section? I imagine with the ReceiverPi DDC, I could run my USB 2.0 Type B male connector into the female Type B connector to the input side of the ReceiverPi DDC, then use the RCA outs to the preamp? Thanks! :) I hope I said that correctly..lol