Asynchronous I2S FIFO project, an ultimate weapon to fight the jitter

Disabled Account
Joined 2015
Thank you my friend for this input,

I have the little free Isolator board Ian provided : is it enough ? My understanding is I can putt it just between the Wave I/O and the Fifo as it has only a standalone isolator chip (the commercial whidther one has 3 chips I assume to isolate PS from the respective PSed Dual Clock board and PSed FIFO.

If the FIFO is isolated from the computer and Wave I/O (through the non iolated uf-l and the free isolator I have already from Ian) : should I need to power also the Dual Clock board and not only the FIFO ?

In each case I have the same Mavrica TSA7 very low noise powersupplies !

A question about the PS of the Clock Board : do I need to remove the flat white cable bettween the FIFO board & the Dual clock board if I PS the Dual Clock as well ? I wouldn't to make a short somewhere :( !

cheers

(believe Ian really started to drink his beers in the wild Pampa of Canada and is fishing...)

Ha!.. yes, I think I would also like to be fishing :)

Yes - for better performance go with WaveIO uf.l (isolated) to FIFO > Ians Isolator > Dual XO > I2S to PCM > AyaII 1541A

When you have the isolator in between the FIFO and Dual XO, the flat white cable will power the secondary of the isolator from the Dual XO supply (looking backwards) and the FIFO will power the primary side to the isolator by another flat white cable.

I wouldn't build it with FIFO direct to Dual XO, you really want to keep the XO and PCM boards local to the DAC, and separate the WaveIO and FIFO completely… (get the isolator board and use it :))

Regards,
S/LH

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2015
Thank you my friend for this input,

I have the little free Isolator board Ian provided : is it enough ? My understanding is I can putt it just between the Wave I/O and the Fifo as it has only a standalone isolator chip (the commercial whidther one has 3 chips I assume to isolate PS from the respective PSed Dual Clock board and PSed FIFO.

If the FIFO is isolated from the computer and Wave I/O (through the non iolated uf-l and the free isolator I have already from Ian) : should I need to power also the Dual Clock board and not only the FIFO ?

In each case I have the same Mavrica TSA7 very low noise powersupplies !

A question about the PS of the Clock Board : do I need to remove the flat white cable bettween the FIFO board & the Dual clock board if I PS the Dual Clock as well ? I wouldn't to make a short somewhere :( !

cheers

(believe Ian really started to drink his beers in the wild Pampa of Canada and is fishing...)

Ha!.. yes, I think I would also like to be fishing :)

Yes - for better performance go with WaveIO uf.l (isolated) to FIFO > Ians Isolator > Dual XO > PCM to I2S > AyaII 1541A

When you have the isolator in between the FIFO and Dual XO, the flat white cable will power the secondary of the isolator from the Dual XO supply.

I wouldn't build it with FIFO direct to Dual XO, you really want to keep the XO and PCM boards local to the DAC, and separate the WaveIO and FIFO completely… (get the isolator board and use it :))

Regards,
S/LH

I'm trying to connect a raspberry pi2 to Ian's FIFO , using the little pcb he graciously supplied. I'm using volumio but can't get a signal lock. Can someone tell me which of the volumio i2s options to use. Generic seems to be the obvious one, as the FIFO isn't listed in the drop down menu, but can't connect using this one.
Sure would like to get this working if anyone can help, has anyone got this to work besides Ian?

I'm trying to connect a raspberry pi2 to Ian's FIFO , using the little pcb he graciously supplied. I'm using volumio but can't get a signal lock. Can someone tell me which of the volumio i2s options to use. Generic seems to be the obvious one, as the FIFO isn't listed in the drop down menu, but can't connect using this one.
Sure would like to get this working if anyone can help, has anyone got this to work besides Ian?

I'm also having issues with my setup. Seems like the config file needs to be edited to uncomment the i2s output of the pi2, and then it would be available in the drop down menu, but it never was available in my setup no matter what I tried. Did you manage to get the i2s output available?.

Anyhow, I didn't like the software at all (maybe because I'm too used to LMS) and the board seemed quite slow to me (again, I'm used to the wandboard), so after a couple of hours tinkering with it I just gave up and returned back to my original setup.

In the process of disconnecting the rpi2 and re-connecting everything again, I somehow managed to fry my amanero (it's recognized but no audio on the output).
So while I wait for a new one I might just try to make it work, so if anyone else can help with it, that would be much apprecaited.

Thanks! ;).

Give a look a this link:

Can't enable HifiBerry DAC plus or I2S : Raspberry Pi • RuneAudio Forum

it's for the Runeaudio player and Raspberry 2Pi, but maybe it could help you somehow.
I remember I had to remove the "#" character in front of these lines to activate i2s ouptput:

device_tree_param=i2s=on
device_tree_overlay=hifiberry-dac (or iqaudio-dac)

as far as I can remember only hifiberry-dac or iqaudio-dac ouput standard i2s that will work with FIFO.

Supra,

You can try this. It worked on my raspby ! (here is link : https://volumio.org/forum/activating-hifiberry-dac-without-web-t308.html)

Try the following:

Connect via SSH to your Volumio,

Code: Select all
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install git-core
sudo apt-get install binutils
sudo rpi-update
sudo reboot

After the reboot activate the I2S Driver via WebUI.
Then connect via SSH an do

sudo nano /etc/modules

make sure the /etc/modules contains the following:

snd_soc_bcm2836
snd_soc_bcm2836_i2s
bcm2836_dmaengine
snd_soc_pcm5102a
snd_soc_hifiberry_dac

Exit nano with Ctrl-X and save the modules file.

Reboot volumio and enjoy your DAC-Sound ;)

I don't have the FIFO yet but I got the RPi2 talking I2S to my old CS4303 board by using the Max2Play/Squeezeplug package. This allows you to change the config without having to use command line. And I'm just a lazy guy :)
I just selected one of the HifiBerry options as the output. It should work for any other I2S interface as well since it doesn't involve any dedicated driver software.

Since Max2Play also supports MPD, it might be a solution for the Volumio or Runeaudio (or other MPD based implementations) users out there who are not so experienced with Linux.

Hi,

I'm Tim the dev for Moode Audio Player. If one of you would like to try FIFO II with Moode, just select Hifiberry DAC from the I2S dropdown menu and reboot.

If it works, I'll add FIFO II to the menu for next release of the Player. If there are issues contact me via tim at moodeaudio dot org and I'll be happy to help troubleshoot :)

I hang out over at diyAudio "pc-based" forum in the Moode thread.
PC Based - diyAudio

Regards,
moodeaudio.org
http://twitter.com/MoodeAudio
Tim Curtis

Attachments

• fifo-0.png
    fifo-0.png
    71.5 KB · Views: 510
  • fifo-1.png
    fifo-1.png
    186 KB · Views: 506
Ian multi-channel I2S/DSD FIFO KIT is under developing and coming soon

Dear Ian,

some time back we started our race - who will first finish a multi channel project. I am done! But it is not a win, you helped me too finish, so my end doesn't count. Thank you very much for all your help! Check it out:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/pass-labs/186848-babelfishing-mighty-ar2.html#post4515874

Dear AR2,

Congratulations! Your multi-channel DAC looks fantastic. I’ve never seen any other multi-channel DAC built in such high quality. Good job!

What multi-channel sources are you using? A digital crossover? or 5.1/7.1 streamer?

What is the power supply which looks like a stick?

I’m very happy that my little help works. It’s my pleasure. Please let me know if there is anything else I can do.

I’ve never forgotten our competition :D. I agree that you won the first game. But the race is still going on. I’m catching up with! :)

Basically, the multi-channel I2S/DSD FIFO KIT will have a Cyclone IV FPGA device, a 256Mb RAM, a 32-bit ARM Cortex processor and on-board isolators. To achieve even better sound quality, the new clock board will work in remote mode and can be placed very close to DAC (or be integrated as part of DAC). An optional control panel/TFT display will be designed as well. Run from iPhone of other mobile devices is also possible.

Please see the pictures for more details. Prototype PCB was done! FPGA design was done and fully tested. ARM software is under developing. See, I’m very close to finish!

New update will be posted very soon.

Regards,
Ian

Attachments

• DSC03271C1Pro.jpg
    DSC03271C1Pro.jpg
    513.9 KB · Views: 538
  • DSC03274C1Pro.jpg
    DSC03274C1Pro.jpg
    603.9 KB · Views: 536
Last edited:
Dear AR2,

Congratulations! Your multi-channel DAC looks fantastic. I’ve never seen any other multi-channel DAC built in such high quality. Good job!

What multi-channel sources are you using? A digital crossover? or 5.1/7.1 streamer?

What is the power supply which looks like a stick?

I’m very happy that my little help works. It’s my pleasure. Please let me know if there is anything else I can do.

I’ve never forgotten our competition :D. I agree that you won the first game. But the race is still going on. I’m catching up with! :)

Basically, the multi-channel I2S/DSD FIFO KIT will have a Cyclone IV FPGA device, a 256Mb RAM, a 32-bit ARM Cortex processor and on-board isolators. To achieve even better sound quality, the new clock board will work in remote mode and can be placed very close to DAC (or be integrated as part of DAC). An optional control panel/TFT display will be designed as well. Run from iPhone of other mobile devices is also possible.

Please see the pictures for more details. Prototype PCB was done! FPGA design was done and fully tested. ARM software is under developing. See, I’m very close to finish!

New update will be posted very soon.

Regards,
Ian

Dear Ian,

really great news and great project you are working on. I am sure it will make many people happy. I am already smiling. Congratulation for the progress and I cannot wait to see it completed. Great shoots. Like it a lot, particularly monochromatic nature you selected in styling.

On my side, thank you for the kind words. It really has been work of love, and
it sounds like that. But if I am doing it again... which might happen seems like based on your progress :cool: I would design a big PC board with all power supplies and regulators, as well as isolators on it. Since I used finished boards, wiring is really complex and it brings the cost up due to all connectors. Certainly quality would be even better, but it is hard to imagine the difference as now I have nothing to complain. The isolators are making dramatical difference, I have to say. I never experienced such a quiet system, where I hear absolutely nothing until music starts, out of 15 paralleled ribbons and 18 mid drivers I have in each speaker.

It is a 4 channel digital crossover / DAC / volume / buffer. The front end is TITAN 4 channel USB to I2S converter. It is actually 6 channel 384KHz but mine is configured for 4 channels. Crossover is in software - Pure Music.

Regulators that look like a sticks, positioned around each DAC, are from Acko and they supply power to each portion of the ESS9012 chip, separately for digital and analog portions. The ones supplying analog power on each side (L + R) are dual regs based on AD797 opamps feeding 3.2V. Ones supplying power to digital portion of the chip are based on LT1763 regulator for 3.2 V and 1.2 V. So for both DACs, that is 8 of AD797s and 6 of LT1763 that are regulating power that is already regulated before them by another 8 of LT1763. Total of 14 LT1763s and 8 AD797. Madness.

It seems like we are both fond of LEGOs, :) Here is something for you, I did many years ago. :)

I am looking forward to final pictures of you project.

Attachments

• new_24.jpg
    new_24.jpg
    631.3 KB · Views: 507
Last edited:

TNT

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Hi Ian, I have the system up and running, yet still with your supportet clocks. If I had let us say NDK NZ2520S Series oscillators and your small boards, caps and resistors, how would I have to apply them? Couldn't find a solution so far.

Best regards

Ernst

I have successfully used a NDK osc on an Ian clock board. I checked the original clock spec and compared it to the NDK pin for pin. Then designed a small board to accommodate it. It works.

//

Joined 2007
Paid Member
I have successfully used a NDK osc on an Ian clock board. I checked the original clock spec and compared it to the NDK pin for pin. Then designed a small board to accommodate it. It works.

//
Hi TNT, so you just used the NDK osc, with 10nF between pin 2 and 4 as described in the datasheet and connected this. Nothing else?

This is what I did, but didn't work. Since these oscs are sooo tiny, I just soldered one. The other still was the supported one. Could that be the issue?

Thanks and regards

Ernst

Joined 2007
Paid Member
The soldering is a challenge. How to check continuity to "legs"? How nit to heat fry it?

I think I now have Ian adapter boards so I transfer it/them - yes only did one so far so other one "stock".

Good luck!

//
Thank you! Just saw that I have used 100nF instead of 10nF. This might be the reason for not working. Unfortunately I don't have 10 nF . So I have to wait [emoji20]. Thanks for your help. Good luck to you! Ernst