Asynchronous I2S FIFO project, an ultimate weapon to fight the jitter

TNT

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Do you mean post #3567:

"I got Laptech XOs from AndreaMori, but I still can not find time to build the XO board. But I'm pretty sure it works with Dual XO II."

Its obvious he has not built them yet but he things they should work. He is referring to the TWTMC as "Laptech" XO bu he means I'm sure the TWTMC as a build.

//

I can't remember with precision... It's just a "fugace" souvenir.

Btw I have to re read the Andrea's thread to remember all the options with all the adaptator boards (I have them as well) !

Think I will buy a single Crysteq before or any OCXO with a good QP (my understanding is Crysteq for SQ/P is ok !)

Some ocsillators 22.xx & 24.xx

Well :

CCHd Crystek Corporation Ultra-Low Phase Noise Oscillator Crystek Corporation Oscillateurs d'horloge standard | Mouser : very low phase noise ?

CCHD-957 Crystek Corporation Crystek Corporation Oscillateurs d'horloge standard | Mouser : the famous usual Crysteq 957

NDK NZ2520SD 3.3V 80Mhz 49.152Mhz 45.1584Mhz 24.576Mhz 22.5792Mhz 12Mhz Ultra low phase noise oscillator - DIYINHK : the NDK : 2x2 mm, needs an adaptator ! Jocko Homo at DIYhifi.org in the other bar said the spec of the manufacturer comes from sorted ones ! (and no independant measurements found on the web !). Risk of overheating due to the small size during soldering !

Some 4 leads good sorted Laptech ?

Fox XO always in those leagues ?

Some other OCXO ? : seems also IanCanada last choices for its ESS9018 & TDA1541A ?!

I ask him on the web vendor thread.

Inputs appreciated,

kinds regards,

Eldam

Last edited:
Well :

CCHd Crystek Corporation Ultra-Low Phase Noise Oscillator Crystek Corporation Oscillateurs d'horloge standard | Mouser : very low phase noise ?

CCHD-957 Crystek Corporation Crystek Corporation Oscillateurs d'horloge standard | Mouser : the famous usual Crysteq 957

NDK NZ2520SD 3.3V 80Mhz 49.152Mhz 45.1584Mhz 24.576Mhz 22.5792Mhz 12Mhz Ultra low phase noise oscillator - DIYINHK : the NDK : 2x2 mm, needs an adaptator ! Jocko Homo at DIYhifi.org in the other bar said the spec of the manufacturer comes from sorted ones ! (and no independant measurements found on the web !). Risk of overheating due to the small size during soldering !

Some 4 leads good sorted Laptech ?

Fox XO always in those leagues ?

Some other OCXO ? : seems also IanCanada last choices for its ESS9018 & TDA1541A ?!

I ask him on the web vendor thread.

Inputs appreciated,

kinds regards,

Eldam

Eldam

In my opinion for a good XO not too expensive the CCHD 957 is a good choice,but I think that if one wants a very good XO we must pay the price,for example the Pulsar clock or DuCULoN OCXO PC???: DuCULoN(?????)
the XO of Andrea is a very good compromise with Laptech SC cut and AT cut,these last should offer very good results,I expected the with impatience.
Moreover,Implementation for the XO hig end is crucial.

+1 for DIYINHK as a supplier of NDK 50mhz clocks. I think I paid $8 ea so very good value for such a good clock. Beware, it is scary how tiny they are. I needed a 30x loop just to read the writing to figure out which was which and which way up to mount them. I have no experience using them on Ian's brd.

I came back into the thread. 90/98 XO seems to give better results with a Dual XO II.
BTW Ian seems to had some problems to find a good Crystek 90/98 if I understood my fast reading of the previous thread... (re read it very fastly !) : I don't understand if a FOX XO was better here than the CH-957 !

But Ian is struggle for OCXO more; possible if enough current from the PS.

My understanding is OCXO could be a poblem if the Dual XO II is fed by the Fifo PS ! The manual says : don't feed the Dual XO II with a standalone PS if no isolator between it and the FIFO ! ...and the OCXO needs more current!:headbash:

OCXO from Andrea with the SC-CUT from Laptech seems a good solution : injection in to the FIFO 2 from the Andrea's Boards .

However, there are some speed limitation if TDA1541A iis feeded with the I2StoPCM simultaneous board...

As the life is far to be perfect I have also a AD1862 DAC !

Well, SC-cut OCXO from Andrea's project seems to be the way to go !

Thanks Olivier :cool:

PS : Ian if you have more inputs about the normal and OCXO models : appreciated !

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2015
I came back into the thread. 90/98 XO seems to give better results with a Dual XO II.
BTW Ian seems to had some problems to find a good Crystek 90/98 if I understood my fast reading of the previous thread... (re read it very fastly !) : I don't understand if a FOX XO was better here than the CH-957 !

But Ian is struggle for OCXO more; possible if enough current from the PS.

My understanding is OCXO could be a poblem if the Dual XO II is fed by the Fifo PS ! The manual says : don't feed the Dual XO II with a standalone PS if no isolator between it and the FIFO ! ...and the OCXO needs more current!:headbash:

OCXO from Andrea with the SC-CUT from Laptech seems a good solution : injection in to the FIFO 2 from the Andrea's Boards .

However, there are some speed limitation if TDA1541A iis feeded with the I2StoPCM simultaneous board...

As the life is far to be perfect I have also a AD1862 DAC !

Well, SC-cut OCXO from Andrea's project seems to be the way to go !

Thanks Olivier :cool:

PS : Ian if you have more inputs about the normal and OCXO models : appreciated !

Hi Eldam,

1541A can operate at 384kHz in simultaneous mode with Ians Clock Board (configured correctly) driving the I2S to PCM board - no speed restrictions from the front end.

I believe that Ian worked through a timing error in the I2S protocol as per the WaveIO board which was updated in the most recent Lucian Firmware (download PC only grr!), which would be useful update if wanting to use such frequency.

IME, You really should look at isolator between FIFO and Clock PCB - has then the ground (and current loops of the XO) shared with the DAC only.

I can second the CCHD-957 recommendation based on experience with a similar set up - for moderate cost and excellent subjective performance.

Looking into the Pulsar clock some time back, I was under the impression that they are no longer in production ? - hope to be wrong.. and are the pics at the Duculon link above to scale ??… The appear large WRT surrounding electronics and scaling deduced from standard photograph.

Regards,
LH/S

Last edited:
It's fou-fou this fifo !

Thank you my friend for this input,

I have the little free Isolator board Ian provided : is it enough ? My understanding is I can putt it just between the Wave I/O and the Fifo as it has only a standalone isolator chip (the commercial whidther one has 3 chips I assume to isolate PS from the respective PSed Dual Clock board and PSed FIFO.

If the FIFO is isolated from the computer and Wave I/O (through the non iolated uf-l and the free isolator I have already from Ian) : should I need to power also the Dual Clock board and not only the FIFO ?

In each case I have the same Mavrica TSA7 very low noise powersupplies !

A question about the PS of the Clock Board : do I need to remove the flat white cable bettween the FIFO board & the Dual clock board if I PS the Dual Clock as well ? I wouldn't to make a short somewhere :( !

cheers

(believe Ian really started to drink his beers in the wild Pampa of Canada and is fishing...)

Do Crystek CCHD957 still needs bypass caps (am building it on Ian's universal xo adapter pcbs) when powering DualXO II board with Salas Reflector and will be using Ian's TPS7A4700 or Paul Hynes shunt local regulator. What do you guys think? Any experience here?

Yes bypass is essential,you can take MLCC C0G 603 for small values and X7R for 1206,my set up is 1000 pf,4700pf,0,01µf,0,033µf,0,1µf,0,47µf,1µf,10µf
a very good information by Murata
http://www.murata.com/~/media/webrenewal/support/library/catalog/products/emc/emifil/c39e.ashx

Eldam
The free board is a I2S isolator,for best performance you must use the digital isolator.

Last edited: