Article - Sony VFETs part 1

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Just trolling. Sorry. I have recently come out of playing with transformers quite a bit and despite their simplicity, they can be very interesting toys. I tihnk they are quite marvelous and look forward to hearing how others enjoy them. Maybe Nelson's other article will haev them wired as autoformer with the Vfets as output buffers.

:shhh:

Attachments

• hush-emoticon.jpg
    hush-emoticon.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 902
  • Waiting.gif
    Waiting.gif
    20.5 KB · Views: 931
Last edited:
Yes, I think we're on track.

The JT-112-LCF (which is marked JT-112-L on the tape) will soon be known as the JT-123-FLCF as Jensen informs us they'll be renumbering it in the near future. It's just a matter of wire termination vs. PCB pins. I'm sure they will understand what is intended should anyone order the old part. For those building a PCB, the FLPCH is the applicable part.

Good night. :)
Like this one...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    120.5 KB · Views: 887
Joined 2012
Paid Member
So many questions.... I'd like to build this amp. Probably hardwire it.

The IRF240 and IRF9240 (TO3) are hard to get, any suggestions? Just use an IRFP device? The TO3's will look nicer, I know....

I can get L-profiles which are thick 5mm, Is that enough for a good heat transfer to the main sinks? Or should I look for thicker ones?

Is it wise to separate the PSU's and the Amp, so the Jensen do not pick up anything from the main transformers?

Will a BA3 as a preamp or a Mez DCB1 be a good preamp/buffer for this amp? Cause I think the output impedance of both is higher than 100 Ohms. Maybe I can lower the 220 Ohm output resistor in the DCB1?

That's it for now:D

Attachments

• swp40178sa.jpg
    swp40178sa.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 838
Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member

* The IRF240 and IRF9240 (TO3) are hard to get, any suggestions? Just use an IRFP device? The TO3's will look nicer, I know....

**I can get L-profiles which are thick 5mm, Is that enough for a good heat transfer to the main sinks? Or should I look for thicker ones?

Is it wise to separate the PSU's and the Amp, so the Jensen do not pick up anything from the main transformers?

**** Will a BA3 as a preamp or a Mez DCB1 be a good preamp/buffer for this amp? Cause I think the output impedance of both is higher than 100 Ohms. Maybe I can lower the 220 Ohm output resistor in the DCB1?

*use IRFP

** 5mm is thick enough

*** space between PSU and signal xformers is of premium importance , be it separated with case walls , or not

**** output resistor in Jfet buffer is idiotproof part; feel free to toss it completely

The IRF240 and IRF9240 (TO3) are hard to get, any suggestions? Just use an IRFP device? The TO3's will look nicer, I know....

I can get L-profiles which are thick 5mm, Is that enough for a good heat transfer to the main sinks? Or should I look for thicker ones?

Will a BA3 as a preamp or a Mez DCB1 be a good preamp/buffer for this amp? Cause I think the output impedance of both is higher than 100 Ohms. Maybe I can lower the 220 Ohm output resistor in the DCB1?

There is no need for TO3 cases. You can easily use MOSFETs with plastic bodies.

Attachments

• 100_0904.jpg
    100_0904.jpg
    559.3 KB · Views: 823
Hi,
I have couple questions:
- What is the overall gain/sensitivity of this amp?
- Does it need any speaker protection from DC?
- Do Version1 output SITs need to be insulated from the heatsink (since their drains are connected)?
- Can output SITs be of different grade (e.g. KD-33 and KE-33) or the same grade is required?

Thanks,
Vlad

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.