Art Car Sound System - A unique challenge

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
IMHO some of the switching-mode amps are much more tolerant of even wild voltage fluctuations. And not only are they more efficient, they're lighter and smaller too. There's all kinds of designs. I had some that used switching power supplies to supply a fully-regulated rail, then a class "D" amp. Other types do a more direct conversion of wall power to speaker power. I have a lot of FET amps that have switching power supplies and while they're not as efficient they are compact and IMHO sound great. But a Crown CE4000 weighs very little and probably works on anything from 95 to 250 volts.

Sure would be nice to be able to afford a hydrogen fuel cell that makes electricity silently directly from a tank of gas!

Last edited:
I sent your partner in crime a PM about the 18 Sound price. The 18 from Thomann is still more expensive than the 18 from Krix. :D

Cheers!

I would feel more comfortable with a locally sourced driver. I am very cautious and will do the calculations and measurements to not exceed xmax.

The crew is more into good sound at a lower level than sheer volume, and running within xmax is a prerequisite for accurate sound.

The 18 Sound LW2500 has 14mm Xmax. From what I can see there wont be another 18 that does better. Unless there is a random 22mm Excursion 18". But I wouldnt be afraid to push any of the big name high excursion 18's with 35mm one way Mechanical to 20mm excursion.

So ya the 2500 from 18 Sound looks awesome in the plots.:D

Just forwarded you the message I sent thunk.

The 18 Sound LW2500 has 14mm Xmax. From what I can see there wont be another 18 that does better. Unless there is a random 22mm Excursion 18". But I wouldnt be afraid to push any of the big name high excursion 18's with 35mm one way Mechanical to 20mm excursion.

So ya the 2500 from 18 Sound looks awesome in the plots.:D

We do have one thing working against us on the artcar, we have limited power.

Talking theoretical, I would need more power to run a less sensitive driver. That means a bigger generator, which creates more noise. If I have a practical option, I would go with a more sensitive driver and permit a smaller generator.

In reality would I really get more volume for less power using a name brand with high sensitivity? (thinking Precision Devices 1850/1852)

I will simulate and see. I have been looking at horned subs for a while for my outdoor cinema. And I looked at using a generator also. So I understand your limitations.

Also one TH18 can easily do 125db. :D A pair can do close to 136-138db depending on a few variables. 2500watts does about 130db with one sub before compression or anything else.

Last edited:
I dont know about PD but BC, 18 Sound and RCF big woofers are all fine outdoors.

The TH18 with the 2500 outdoors is about 106db sensitive with a pair. So making 125dbs is easy. Like an Inuke1000 bridged easy. lol Maybe not that amp but 500watts is plenty to get you to your goals. So no need to worry about having enough wattage for a pair of these TH's.

Thanks heaps for the info chrapladm.

We are trying to balance the budget with building something of high mechanical/acoustic quality. But, we will have to pick our battles carefully, with the ability to upgrade later. It would be great to blow the trippers minds with SQ though.

The TH18 are almost the easiest part. We may have the synergies on hold until a feasible diy unit capable of 200 to 20k @ 125db+ can be settled on. Suggestions welcome. Available drivers are a must.

In the meantime fin is looking at off the shelf units like the QSC 12"+1.4". Not great but an easy working option.

Amp wise... Anything with 80%+ efficiency is very attractive and switching supplies are going to save a lot of weight and room in the cart area available. Do you recommend anything in the 2000w range ?

It would be awesome to use sustainable energy to power the rig, but anything that produces 5kva is not gonna be portable unfortunately.

I do believe the subs will be the easiest option also. For me I could build a 2 way design with all 18 Sound products from there page for around I think 5-600 each speaker. A SH could be done but I havent a clue there. I am still trying to figure one of those out also within my budget.

Budget amp I would have to go with an Inuke of some sort. So Inuke 3000would be fine for close to 2000watts. I am not sure how much the QSC speakers are. The 18 Sound company has some designs posted on their website. I think they will be nice quality but there are definitely other options.

How much do you have for each speaker maximum?

There are also DIY Sound group designs that are very high quality and you just have to put them together. Shipping is not nice but SQ and value are very high.

1000 for a pair of drivers and an Inuke 6000 amp for powering the subs should be about 1700. Then you would need wood which depends on your location. I always use marine ply because it is great quality A/A sides and can be had at Bunnings. But costs about 120 a sheet. So thats about 360 per cabinet. But I think it may take 5 sheets for a pair of subs I cant remember.

So maybe 2400 for subs, amp and wood.

I already asked and you can get an 8 ohm, 16ohm or 4 ohm LW2500. For me 4 ohm will work best. They only have 8ohm T/S posted on their websites.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.