Are the free samples really free?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Of course there is the moral issue of sampling for DIY purposes:goodbad:

I sampled a CS3310 from Cirrus, and they had a distributer call me directly. When I told him who I was and what I was doing (I work for a technology company that does lots of prototyping) he said he'd get them in the mail right away.

I never saw them, and this thread reminded me that I need to follow up with him!:scratch:

It could be that the fabs know we are using for DIY but don't care because any circuit we post here is in the public domain and thus cannot be protected except by copyright and then only for the diagram.

Makes you wonder how many of the great circuits posted here have ended up in some commercial audio component.... hmmm...

:)ensen.

They really call you...

Hi,

Aside from Analog Devices, even ON Semi has called me asking where will I use the samples. They were told that it would be used in prototyping and evaluation.

Maybe these companies are just careful on who they give these samples to. They don't wanna end up giving them to the wrong person right?

Or maybe they're just checking if these samples are really used for "valid" electronics and not for those "terroristic" electronics.

Or maybe they check if we sell the samples?

I am just thankful that these companies offer free samples, they make prototyping easy.

Cheers,
JojoD

I just ordered today from TI with a student email and private address in belgium. I choose as company the university and said it was for a personal student project. I received an hour later a confirmation of shipping. It was for 2 opa627ap, 2 lm317, 2 lm317 and 2 buf634. I guess it wasn't too expensive.

discussion of this has been stated with previous posts by me ......why drag this on>????

samples are delegated to mfg and OEM
projects for students= who cares by them
Engineers=ok but for a max per year
national= get samples free but pay shipping
TI= after repeated free orders a phone call will commence=you dont belong here so get out

I could go on.....

DIRT®

Hey dirt:

Looks to me like the fabs care about 00940 even when he is obviously a student. And I haven't paid National anything - will they ship collect so I have to pay in order to receive from freight company?

My started the thread because I found it hard to believe that there wasn't a catch, like pre-paid shipping or added handling charges. The subsequent posts show that the question is still valid. And, I didn't think our posts qualify as dragging this on. The more people post their experiences, the more likely we can develop a pattern, which seems to be turning out different than you predict.

BTW, what other threads did you post in? Are the topic titles easily searched? Could you point us to them?

my apology about being direct
fact is I deal with these people and thats their mandate on giving samples.
I partake in the sample acquisition like others also but I clearly stated that national wants you to pay for shipping and they have a max per annum on samples
nothing else was said to disregard other posts but I did maybe in another thread...so excuse my forthcoming

DIRT®

Just got my samples from TI. The actual chips are made in Taiwan. The pro forma shows I got over $50 USD worth of semiconductor for free! Nothing from Max or NatSemi yet. Maybe I will still have to pay the shipping for the Nat (gnat?). Who knows, maybe I'll be DIY enough to run out the annual freebie limit.

As for the why they do it, I think that it's in their interests to give any experiment free samples. As long as we are being ethical and not selling it or putting it into units for sale, the agreement is intact.

My view is that for every IC they give away, they must sell 10,000. If I were a fab, I'd do it too since any tinkerer that can comes up with a commercial circuit will eventually start generating the demand for larger quantities. Samples are merely the cost of doing business. They are everywhere in industry. The products are just priced a little higher to accomodate this particular marketing tactic.

way for companies to get rid of rejects

way i look at it, some samples are cosmetic rejects, to3's have scaratched casings or that printing is not that good or off centered, but all devices tested good, i have no complaints...maybe this samples program is also a way for companies to get rid of stuff like these, it will be more to their advantage if they just gave it away instead of recycling them which will cost them more, maybe, just my hunch, i have yet to see anything on the plastic parts....these observations are not obvoius to the casual user, but anybody who has worked in a qc department of a semicon company can spot the difference....just my 2 cents...

Just got a call from TI.

It didn't feel like they were to de-list me, but rather, it seemed more like a CRM call. They were just confirming some of the entries I put in the website form, probably to refine my "preference" settings for their newsletter.

Still nothing from Max or NatSemi.

JOE DIRT® said:
discussion of this has been stated with previous posts by me ......why drag this on>????

samples are delegated to mfg and OEM
projects for students= who cares by them
Engineers=ok but for a max per year
national= get samples free but pay shipping
TI= after repeated free orders a phone call will commence=you dont belong here so get out

I could go on.....

DIRT®

purplepeople said:
Just got a call from TI.

It didn't feel like they were to de-list me, but rather, it seemed more like a CRM call. They were just confirming some of the entries I put in the website form, probably to refine my "preference" settings for their newsletter.

Still nothing from Max or NatSemi.

ive oreder about 8 lots of samples (8 different chips, max number i can have of each), leaving about a month between each, and i have not had any de-listing phone calls. i hope they wont come after my latest order... :bawling:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.