Are the free samples really free?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Indeed, a university should be serious enogh - no idea why that doesn't work.

I would create a new account at National with your personal email and rl address, I would be very surprised if that would fail again.

BTW: I don't think National cares any less then TI - they kind of force me to order samples in their newsletters :D
Design seminars? Of course, they will also invite you if you once get that thing started.

I have been trying to get LM4780:s from National, but no success. They told me to use local distributors. I tried Farnell, but they said they do not sell this product and deny all knowledge of the whole sample concept, and asked me to ask from National German or Sweden offices. The National German office told me it is very strange that Farnell does not give samples. There is still at least Arrow Finland to try...

Can somebody order a few LM4780:s for me?

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2002
HBarske said:
After massive abuse of the sample order service, National had decided to call for a "real" email adress on a top level domain, so they can look up who's the guy who's ordering that much samples :D

I have my own domain that I use for business only stuff, with a business postal address, and that doesn't work either...

But then again, I'm not particularly worried about paying for postage, it's still a good deal, and I think it does stop people from extracting the urine. ;)

i just use my personal address. the other thing is when you sign up they want a company name. i just put the name of my website, of course if they checked that they'd discover i don't mass produce amplifiers or audio gear and thus don't "need" the samples, however it seems to work. just make something up

sample are of course intended for companies with plans to mass produce devices by the 1000's, so logically they shouldn't bother at all with hotmail, yahoo or any free providers, nor should they bother with universities.

hmm. some semiconductor company have special interest in universitys. Check TIs university program. They know, if a student build something in university, he will try to build same way and use same componets later when he becomes a design engineer in industry.

JasonL said:
I used my @shaw one and my citytel one. i personally wrote to ti and asked them for to send me samples they said sure. and then 4 days later i had 5 samples of the lm3875 chip's

Hmm, this seems particularly strange that TI is sending to you National samples. I guess what you can expect from National now, if you ask for samples, is OPA549. The only disadvantage in the whole deal is that OPA is not as good as LM chip;)

Dear Mr. Pape,

Thank you for your interest in National Semiconductor.

The orders have been cancelled.

Regarding your inquiry about samples ordered via the internet, please be aware that National Semiconductor provides an on-line sample service to help OEM design engineers accelerate their new product design. We reserve the right to limit the distribution of free samples for non-OEM enterprises, unfortunately we cannot send free samples to universities or educational/research institutes. In this case you may purchase your requirements from the following website -

http://onecall.farnell.com

We apologise for any inconvenience caused.

email from National, i told them i don´t order abusive.....

Hi

Hi guys,

I have also tried ordering from NS but they say that due to unresolved import/export issues with the Philippines, they cannot send me the samples.

I have successfully ordered from On Semi, Analog, Maxim Dallas, and TI. Someone from Analog once called me asking where will I use the parts I am ordering. :scratch: Just told him I'll use it for evaluation and testing :cool: .

Regards,
JojoD

Someone from Analog once called me asking where will I use the parts I am ordering. Just told him I'll use it for evaluation and testing .

i had a guy from the National Semi distributor here in NZ give me a call. I just told him i was a student and needed a couple of parts for an engineering project (i am a student, but i definitely don't study engineering ;) ) he accepted that and since then i've still had a few more parts turn up. gonna call it quits for a while tho as i imagine they will stop sending things - an engierring project couldn't possible require that many parts

I don't mind paying for parts from Digikey and the like. What really frustrates me is when there is a part I want that is not carried by catalog distribuyors and only available from the factory or rep in large (very large quantities. I once sent an e-mail that said I only wanted 2 or 3 of something and could they please tell of a distributor that stocked the part and sold small quantities. I got back an email that said sorry there aren't any. About 4 days later I recieved a small package with the parts and an unsigned note that said "Please don't tell anyone I did this!"

I first tried with my Juno account to order stuff from National, because I didn't know if they would like my TI work email. They said they could send samples with the Juno acount, but there would be a small shipping charge. So then I went ahead and changed to mt TI work email and voila...4 free samples...I didn't want to push it too far :rolleyes: . Took like 2 days to get it...very impressed. Also when I got the package I saw that the static bag said Digikey on it, so maybe it doesn't actually cost National anything, maybe it's a perk that National gets doing business with Digikey ("Hey, will sell em to you for $x.xx each, but you gotta send some out here and there").

Oh ya and they said that I please restrict my free samples to like 5 a month! :bawling: 5 a month!?!, man I guess some poeple are just cheapskates!

Either way $12 for 5 is a great price, saves you about $10 or so.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.