Arc Welder Transformer used to power Amplifier

Hello EWORKSHOP1708, it's good to see that someone else may find using a Welding Transformer of some use.
As you say, you could run many Amplifiers of one Big Transformers.

i thinking about building a home cinema 5.1 John Hood 10W Class A amplifier using 5 class A for all channels except the subwoofer (class B for that) seeing i would have more than enough power to drive it.
i know i can get rid of the heat with fans etc.

you might say 5 x 10watts RMS + Sub isn't much, but seeing i only have as small house and my wife doesn't like it to loud 50Watts would be more than enough.

John Biles said:
Salamat, Tony from the Philipines, i like you transformer, you shouldn't run out of current with that one.
It's Good to hear from someone fron the Philipines as my wife was born in Manilla and i have found Filipino people to be some of the friendliest people around and that's why i married my wife.
As will most woman she doesn't care much for my electronics hobby.

thanks John, that traffo has a 120volt ct main winding. that is the biggest i have done so far, i have built traffos with 2 in center leg for super leach amps, and small inverter driver traffo with 1/2 in center legs. i have been winding my own traffos since the 70's....that makes me very old...lolz!

glad to hear you got a pinay for a wife! you are luckier, my wife frowns upon my hobby....

Thanks Tony,
I got a good wife, but one thing i realized is that all filipino woman like lots of shoes, not just amelda marcos. most of the filipino words my wife has taught me are rude words or swear words. Tar-a mo, titi, kiki, kantook and the list goes on.

She doesn't mind too much if i experiment with electronics as long as she isn't home, asleep or has her family or friends around, so i guess i have the same problem as you.

hello EWorkshop1708,
in relation to your comment that with all that extra ampage the loses and inefficient don't really matter, i agree.
It seems funny to me that some have said that the voltage drop is too great and that arc welder transformers aren't very efficient and have greater loses across their cores than regular transformer and that their not really suitable in a power amplifier, i say what about class A amplifiers.
There are alot of people wanting and willing to build and run these amplifiers when they so inefficient as well.
i know a guy who is going to build a water cooled Class A with radiators under his house to remove the heat, when most people wouldn't even notice the difference if he was running a class B amplifier instead.

Maybe a class A Amp and Arc Welding Transformer were made for each other, long live inefficiency !!!

i say if it works and you are happy go for it.

John Biles said:
Hello EWORKSHOP1708, it's good to see that someone else may find using a Welding Transformer of some use.

Modern inverter machines are even better, i source most of my componets for ongoing 4kW class-D sub-amp from couple of
Kemppi welding machines. EE65 cores, 2 pieces, STW20N50 mosfets, 10 pcs, diode bridge, 470uF 450V input caps, 1600V 0.22uF FKP film caps, current transformers, PTCs, plenty of matched 55A 600V IR warp-speed IGBTs and so on...

Hello Sparkybq,
the transformer in question is 170mm x 160mm x 160mm and i have no problems moving it around.
it just looks like a large every day EI transformer, noise wise when i finally put it in the amplifier i am building it will be well insulated for noise and safety.

As i plan to build it, move it to the position i have worked out for it, it will remain there most likely for years.

As i plan for the front and sides to come off quickly and each board to easily unplug, weight won't be a problem, may even help if so thief tries to steal it.

One of many reasons why i decided to try the transformer is that the cost of buying at least 2 normal transformers for a 5.1 home cinema Class A at my local parts store was about $170 Australian Dollars, and i had this high Amp Transformer just sitting there with the correct voltage i needed.

With a new family and the cost of living, the budget would stretch for my hobbies, so cost cutting is the way to go for me.
i normally only listen to about 8 hours of music a week, so the extra electricity won't be a problem.

absolutely, they are better.
And the same result can be achieved with 4kW SMPS, made for powering amps. And it will be lighter (more than a half maybe) than the welding one.

Welding transformers and inverters are more current source devices but voltage source devices.

Most audio amps needs voltage power source. Voltage power sources are easyer to make then current ones.
With voltage SMPS the problems one needs to fight are completely different than for current sources. These (voltage) power sources typicaly have less parts and simpler schematic, and smaller transformers/chokes, so are more compact and have less weight, and are cheaper usualy.

But most audiophiles(at least most i know) would not use SMPS in any form for powering their amplifiers anyway. They claim this ruins the sound quality.
Maybe it does,but I am not an audiophile, but rather more practical (I try so) person. It is not practical for me to build 30W Class A amp that consumes 300-500W, then go and get 1000W transformer for it, then make horn speakers that once fitted together in your living room, there is not space for more then 2 people. The sound would be excellent, no doubt about this, but it is not practical enough for me (and most people).

But again, if one is happy about all this, then he/she:) must not listen to anyone, but do it anyway.

So, be happy and cheers :drink:

hello Sparkybq,

I know my use of an arc welding transformer is not the norm, but the stupid thing works fine with my designs.
with all the old pieces of electrical equipment i've been given lately, i have powered my amps with normal transformers and there really isn't any difference either way with the way they sound. Maybe if i had different speakers, i would hear a difference?
Either way i like to be different ot stupid depending which way you see it, but i know that this transformer will do the job i am asking of it. 6 channel's, 6 35A bridge's/capacitors, 1 transformer
many fuses.

i checked out your bio and i see you like Mechanical engineering as well.
before i got married,i had money, i was building a 2 seater sports car from scratch.
designed the chassis, body all steel, all my work, now you know where that bloody welder came from.
Everyone who has seen it, calls it the mad max car.
it's about 80% finished but just sits in the garage waiting.
maybe one day when i have more money, i'll drive it.

Hi John,

It is not about stupidity.

We are just sharing knowledge and points of view here, nothing more. (at least that's how i see it).

Believe me, I have same problems you have. The prices are lower here (maybe half), but the money one gets from work is maybe 4-5 times (if not more) lower than in your country (it is a guess. tipical salary here is about 150-200 euros - dont know how much is it in australian dollars, but I think you get what I'm saying).

Money never are enough. I am happy so say that I'm lucky getting a little more than above mentioned, but I will be paying my car next 3 years, I am repairing my home at the moment, and I hope to have a child in a year or two.

So we are sharing same problems also :)

I was just saying what is the right way to do a thing from my point if view. Different persons have different problems, different income and so on... :)

Anyway, we both know a little bit more about these things than at the begining of this discusion, and this is all about these forums are made for - to help and share knowledge.

That's how I see it.

sparkybg said:
absolutely, they are better.
And the same result can be achieved with 4kW SMPS, made for powering amps. And it will be lighter (more than a half maybe) than the welding one.

Welding transformers and inverters are more current source devices but voltage source devices.

If you meant my 4kW project, it has nothing else than components left from those welders. And these welders what i put in pieces are SMPS, just a big ones. 4kW 2-transistor forward switcher, 160khz operation. Size is so small that you could fit 3 of these in 19" 2U rack case. Weights less than you would believe. Made by Kemppi/Kempower, otherwise nice machines but dont survive in industrial enviroment where they get full of iron dust and pcb's flash over in couple of years.

hello Sparkybq,
i agree will you that everyone has there own ideas.
The Goverment here say that the average take home wage is about $900 Australian dollars a week and i take home $500.

i wish i got more, but i wouldn't swap all the money in the world for my family.
how many druged out million dollar hollywood stars are there around.
the old saying "Money Doesn't Buy you Happiness" is true.

i am enjoying getting everyone's replies and thoughts as this link was my first on this forum.

Keep them coming.

If you can, post a pic of the transformer!

It would be cool to see if that kind of transformer would be good for a low voltage, high current amp for driving loads 1 ohm or less.

If you build an amp with lots of parallel outputs, with lots of amperage, you could wire speakers all over your room and connect them all to the same amp.

*I'm doing an experiment myself with a battery charger transformer.

Batt charger was 12V 10A , transformer measures 13.5-0-13.5.

Lots of amps and low volts. Thinking of going BTL into 2 ohm, with triple darlington or CFP.

It's DIY, do whatever you like. :D

here's a pic of my transformer

Attachments

• tn_p1010001.jpg
    tn_p1010001.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 323