Apollo Construction Diary

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Looks nice! Is one of the dust collection hoses to the cnc just to pull dust out of the entire enclosure? I was thinking about trying to set up a kind of down draft table on my router plus a dust shoe. Anything not picked up by the dust shoe would get pulled to the sides of the table and down to a collection point with a dust hose. In any case, I'd be interested in how the dust collection works out for you.

diyAudio Member
Joined 2004
Hey John

A dust shoe will go on there eventually(likely the first useful part I cut) but MDF is terrible and you'll never get 100% extraction so the enclosure keeps what's left leaving you to clean up when needed. Its a simple job - pull the hose off the shoe and run it around to pick up the left overs.

Not sure about a down draft table. Depending on the number of holes and open surface area you might need go with a large blower and these can push a lot of the dust back out into the workspace. Because of my simple setup I went with a vacuum extractor. Like I said there's lots of question marks surrounding proper filtering of fine particles with the blower extractors. Even with pleated filters they're still only catching 1 micron and larger particulates 90% of the time. MDF particles can go down to as small as 0.5 microns and if, like me, you've got an extractor in your workspace then you'll really want something that can handle those. Good vacuum extractors will do 0.5 microns at 99%+ efficiency.

I was amazed how complicated proper dust extraction is. There's really no one stop solution for every situation. What I have is a compromise but its about the best I could manage on my budget and particularly the noise levels I was willing to put up with. Vacuum extractors can be very noisy! I demo'd both a dual and triple motor model similar to what I have these things could handily beat any horn loaded or multi driver array SPL monster out there! As you might imagine the quieter one's don't pull as much air so there's your compromise.

I had a shop vac on my router and used it like you say - pull the hose off the dust shoe to clean things up. This left a lot to be desired, partly as I didn't have the machine enclosed. What I was looking at upgrading to was something like this with an enclosure:
CVMAX - Single Phase with Filters - Clear Vue Cyclones
These have 99.99% at 0.5 micron filters, or you can upgrade and get 99.999%. I worked at a place that had two of these in their shop, and while they did make a fair amount of noise they didn't seem that bad. Cutting noise was louder than the dust collectors.

I made a video for Arthur whom the Apollo are destined for. I'm sure he won't mind me posting it here though. Apologies for sounding confused and bunged up. Its my first time talking to just a camera (felt really weird!) and I hadn't really thought about anything before hitting record so its random to say the least!

Rambling about CNC - YouTube

LOL cool!

Out of interest do you know if the Valchromat can be finished on an exposed edge or if everything has to be painted?

diyAudio Member
Joined 2004
LOL cool!

Out of interest do you know if the Valchromat can be finished on an exposed edge or if everything has to be painted?

Ask me in a couple of months when I try spraying it :D

When you say finished do you mean filled and sanded? If so then yes and no. You'll still have to sand the edges but filler wouldn't be needed.. The faces are polished and pre-finished though so if you are painting you'll have an easy time compared to mdf.

Last edited:
Hmm. i wonder.
Wish I'd found all this sooner.
Been trying to find hd mdf for the last few months to use in my current speaker project.
Ended up with 32mm mr mdf sent to my cabinet maker.

I haven't had time to look at the links, but I'm pretty sure it hasn't been anywhere for that long. It's only newly available in the UK which is the first market AFAICT.

Moisture resistant MDF is the best alternative I've been offered too. Higher density seems to be unavailable. I guess I don't know the right cabinet makers :-/

EDIT: Hmm, your links indicate otherwise. Could be good news. Time to investigate, thanks!

Last edited:
Will be interesting to see how this goes when cutting for real!

First Air Cut Attempt on CNC - YouTube

I, for one, am anxiously awaiting the first "real" cuts with your new setup. This thread is one that I look forward to seeing the updates for. I know this has been a long and hard journey for you but it looks like you are getting very close to making some very nice cabinets.

diyAudio Member
Joined 2004
Here's Mach running a portion of 3D code used to make waveguide. Had been having some trouble with this but its in hand now.

Fixed Mach Issue whilst running 3D code - YouTube

Also a few 12mm end mills arrived today for the Apollo's. Bloody expensive things as well!

attachment.php

Attachments

• 20130130_203128.jpg
    20130130_203128.jpg
    157 KB · Views: 1,280
Last edited:
I've just machined two full size engine intake leading edges for a Gloster Meteor (for a local museum) - starting with a 50mm marine ply blank.

Using a 6.35mm ballnose 2 flute solid carbide cutter I got on ebay for $10. 24 hours machining each engine intake. Tool is getting a bit tired now, but it got there.

You don't need to spend a huge amount, $10-$20 will do, and that will get you carbide.

You can tell if they are carbide by the weight - it's twice as dense as steel (roughly).

diyAudio Member
Joined 2004
Hey Mark.

I hear you and did shop around but things get more expensive with the bigger and longer cutters.

As an example I picked up some 6mm single flute carbide cutters from china for about a £5 each including the postage but the 12mm ball nose in that picture was £32. Granted I ordered from a UK supplier but it was still £25 from china and these are Widia Hanita rather than the unbranded you get from them.

Ps. If you know of any cheap suppliers. I'd be interested to hear.

Last edited:
diyAudio Member
Joined 2004
First Part - YouTube

Video of the first test part. Its one of the waveguides for the Apollo. Came out ok in terms of dimensions and accuracy. The 25mm MDF is made from was cheap rubbish and furred up like mad on the waveguide profile cutout. Will be much better with the Valchromat.

Went fairly conservative on the speeds as it was my first part. Its around 3m/min cutting here.

attachment.php

Attachments

• Waveguide test.jpg
    Waveguide test.jpg
    107.4 KB · Views: 1,604
Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.