Apollo Construction Diary

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
diyAudio Member
Joined 2004
Rear baffle detail:

attachment.php

Attachments

• Apollo11.jpg
    Apollo11.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 2,230
...then I'd have the baffles

Then you'd have open baffles and maybe you would've been reconsidering your design :)

Seriously now, when I first saw the title of the thread I told to myself that I won't post in it because then I'll have to do what I did with your last builds: constantly refreshing the page and check for new posts :)

I guess I'm a lost cause now!

diyAudio Member
Joined 2004
Thanks CLS, Henry and Sunra.

In amongst all the excitement I forgot to mention I'll be building alongside the Apollo, a pair of Aurora for myself. Gutted I can't accommodate the Apollo but I doubt the upstairs floor joists would hold the weight :D I'm sure Arthur is going to have a lot of fun unpacking and setting those up :rolleyes: :p

I'm not sure if I'll create a separate thread for the Aurora build. Most likely they'll end up in here.

attachment.php

Attachments

• Aurora16.jpg
    Aurora16.jpg
    157.9 KB · Views: 2,264
Hi Scott,

Its a render sadly, I wish it was the real thing because then I'd have the baffles :D

Actually that it's a render is even more impressive (to me). It looks real. :eek:

I'd say "someone" is getting *really* good with material textures and lighting with Solidworks. :)

Now if they just come out with that perfect 3D printer that would print everything correctly.. :D

Actually that it's a render is even more impressive (to me). It looks real. :eek:

I'd say "someone" is getting *really* good with material textures and lighting with Solidworks. :)

Now if they just come out with that perfect 3D printer that would print everything correctly.. :D

Funny, I was going to say the opposite. The texture on the steel is obviously fake, and the geometric resolution in the motors is lacking.

Why such sloppy work, shin? :hohoho:

diyAudio Member
Joined 2004
The mids are turning into something cool.

attachment.php

The top and bottom plates of the motor will have a large radius fillet machined around the edge. This will allow better airflow, less reflections and compression. Good thing too because the magnet on the CQ 15H is on the large side so every extra bit of clearance is worth it. This fillet along with the chamfers on the inside edge of driver cutout within the baffle will go along way to reduce reflection back through the cone.

If you look the surround profile closely follows that of the cone. The surround profile on these utilise the midrange specific type for reduced cone edge resonance and surround reflection giving a better FR. You do sacrifice excursion and a small amount of extension however.

Then on top of that the voice coil former is a kapton/alu hybrid and a short coil in long gap motor with symmetric drive for an improved BL curve.

Ohhh can't wait to hear these.

I can see it now:

Arthur: Hey Ant hows the speakers coming along?
Me: Erm yeah great. I'm still breaking the midranges in for you :)
Arthur: But you've been doing that for the past 2 months!
Me: Indeed, the suspensions are very stiff. I'm taking no pleasure in this!

Attachments

• CQ 15H 52 06 13 SDKAM with LR.1481.jpg
    CQ 15H 52 06 13 SDKAM with LR.1481.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 3,173
The Raal and audio-technology drivers I was looking at lately. Also because other members do mention them as favorite for their next project.

I am not sure for the audiotechnology as what specs are concerned they look to me in the same category as scanspeak or SB-acoustics or Eton.

There is also a poormans audiotechnology layout driver new from monacor this year. This one got a cast frame and PP-cone and nice TS-parameters aluminum voice coil.http://www.monacor.de/index.php?id=128&L=1&artikelid=8446
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Audio technology points out that a PP-cone has a very neutral tone to it self. And the other main technology is the voice coil material and diameter. Bigger voice coil diameter is as having bigger torque of the motor. So better acceleration depending on relation to cone weight and Sd I would think.

So shinobiwan what material and diameter voice coil are you go to choose?

Last edited:
diyAudio Member
Joined 2004
The Raal and audio-technology drivers I was looking at lately. Also because other members do mention them as favorite for their next project.

These drivers work well together and you'll spot a few designs now using this combination. Truth is a good driver works well with any other similarly performing driver so it doesn't just have to be RAAL and AT.

I am not sure for the audiotechnology as what specs are concerned they look to me in the same category as scanspeak or SB-acoustics or Eton.

I'd rate AT above Scanspeak but only marginally so if we're talking about revelator series. Sadly I found the illuminator series slightly lacking, at least in the 5". I've no experience with SBA or Eton but by all accounts they look like decent drivers.

So shinobiwan what material and diameter voice coil are you go to choose?

52mm VC on the 5" and 8" with the PP, AT are likely using a different mix for its cones compared to others as they throw in some portion of magnesium silicate dust along with the polypropylene.

The 10" are 77mm VC with a sandwich cone construction - two thin carbon reinforced paper cones, which are glued together with an expanding foam.

I'd rate AT above Scanspeak but only marginally so if we're talking about revelator series. Sadly I found the illuminator series slightly lacking, at least in the 5". I've no experience with SBA or Eton but by all accounts they look like decent drivers.

52mm VC on the 5" and 8" with the PP, AT are likely using a different mix for its cones compared to others as they throw in some portion of magnesium silicate dust along with the polypropylene.
I ask andrea about his exspirience with the sound AT. He used the AT with a morel tweeter I also would like to try for a long time.the Monitor 3

He said the AT technology is better in direct comparison so no direct improvement could be heart by listening to this AT project. Although it will sound very nice I do not doubt that.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.