Apogee Centaurs- going active

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hay thanks for pic.....hehe right I get that ...New cant wate like you...thay well sound great like thay look....good job

You know with this last pr of Sages I have... I put new paper tape on the MT wires.....I just added did not take the old tape off... an it rolled the topend output of the MT down!.....hehe I had to go in an take the tape off to get the sound back......any thing I do to these speakers makes them sound diff.....

Same As with the Minors Bass drivers....one driver had lose rubber at one spot so I had two 61/2" focal ....I put one in....left one stock....lost topend...fixet the stock.....all was well...

Last edited:
Well every thing Resonates.............an the old solid 16ga wire Jason Bloom like the sound of......Dose...So Adding more tape,diff tape well add mass... an the sound well change...All things start at the topend....an most soild wire rolls down the top anyway.....it my odd ears...
So not to odd.....well for me anyway...
I got into wire in the 80s...
I was talking to MR Pass from the Audio Shop I work at about wire an Balanced inputs....he said wire made NO diff to the sound...
An No Home Audio Amps an preamp would (ever) need to have fully Differential inputs.......
Now all his big Pass amps an preamps have Balanced inputs & much better wire...
He thought I was odd to ask!

THe Audio world I come from.....is Odd for sure...
I have a Colleauge that got into wire at the same time as me....
But got on the ever thing Resonates path....An came up with a peace of wood with a brass rod in it......Call it a Pocket Rockit.... an other Resonaters for music Artist...... an People who play inPhilharmonic Orchestras.....he get from $1-5k for these life changers...so thay say
An what this thing dose is Change your Resonate....when you put it in your pocket...............Nut right... ....Hehe..... Life is Odd all right....have fun if you can your only here a min....

Last edited:
Joined 2014
Paid Member
On the first ribbon I removed solder, straightened wires and removed. Resulted in some melting of the insulation, which I put heat shrink over

Second ribbon I tried the graz method of twisting the 'hooks' out. slightly reduced insulation damage but the hooks made heat shrink impossible.

Then I remembered I only have unleaded bits for the metcal. D'Oh

But with careful refitting nothing is shorting.

Yes I found that out in the 90s on my frist pr.....I Was going to change that soild wire...to something better...it a bitch..killed one ribbon
I got Jason...to send me new ribbons replacement... an left well a nef a long....wowo soild wire for ever...
But you did have to pull all the wires out...I would have went better wire....hehe.....but that's me...
But I think you wounted a Stock sound right?

Joined 2014
Paid Member
Well they are in. My old faithful infinity modulus are now installed in the kitchen. Not had time to do any more than a rudimentary setup but getting music and at least at late night, wife in bed levels is sounding nice. I have a clear couple of hours on my own tomorrow night to find a position for them. For now, welcome back old friends...at least till the OB conversion starts...

Ok..........Good job
Sounds like there working .....I pulled my minors out.... got the 50 years old all stock dynaco MK3 cooking ...I think I start with some ONS Telefunken EL34s I got not long a go......
My hhscott 355 pretuner. with tone controls...with a NOS Telefunken 12au7 driver....Man these Minor can play loud!.............Big image wall to wall ...hehe...............have fun

Joined 2014
Paid Member
well got the stands out, but still have a minor issue with my left Eustachian tube which keeps making me think the left ribbon has died. Still bedding in, so at the moment sounding very bright compared to the infinities that were there before, so almost 'hifi'. I do need a bigger room tho. Not getting anywhere near the stage depth I know they can do.

Joined 2014
Paid Member
To give you an idea of the space constraints I am living with, this is the view from the listening spot. The stands make a significant difference to the perceived size of them

Attachments

• room.jpg
    room.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 119
Wow...........in that space I wood have the ribbons on the outside... ...maybe off the stans....I like the sound off the stands the best....that's Stages an Minors
it well give more upermid an bass.....tone the topend down....an sound great well to me anyway..............tuff room...geeeeeeeeeeeeeeez
I feed bad my... room is 18'X20 today...my minors are 14'apart...18'X40... stage, .....that's with 50 tube watts...

Glad to see you are making progress. My..... That is a small room!
Last week I replaced my Symasym amps with a couple of $20.00 TPA3116 D class amps.
It's truly amazing the level of performance that can be achieved for $40.00
With my Starfish pre, the sound was little bright but softened nicely with a B4 buffer pre.
Bags of detail and violins sound so sweet. Think they will be here for a while.
Peter

Joined 2014
Paid Member
If I put ribbons on the outside then left ribbon fires into the sofa. If I take them off the stands as they are then left woofer fires into sofa. I potentially could slide them out for listening then slide them back afterwards, but that would be a pain when we are all in watching a film. I miss the den I used to have in chicago when I first got the minors. They really sang in that. The detail is all there, but the holographic con trick is missing.

However good news of the evening was that I put on a track that SWMBO likes and she threw a cushion at me as she realised how crap her B&O setup in the bedroom sounds :)

I'm sure the LM3886 will be fine with the OB arrangement in your room.
Still enjoying my mocked up ribbons. So much so, I don't want to take them apart to finish them.
I will try and emulate them with some XT25s in home made cherry waveguides coupled with Dayton RS180s that Santa brought me. They should work in a smaller baffle(narrower and shorter). This hobby is totally addictive.
Of course, they will not appear in this forum, being non-planar.
Peter

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.