Any news on UCD700?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Transformer details

Originally posted by Jan-Peter
Right, but to be more clear: high power toroid 60-0 / 60-0 (dual rectifiers!), low power 12-0-12 and 0-15 VAC.

After checking the UCD700 supply manual, a couple of questions come to mind.

1. For the 15V Vdr voltage, is a 0-15V transformer ok? On page 2 of the manual it says that Vdr is referenced to -(Vee) which would make it -45V. I'm a little confused by this.

2. The manual shows 63V for Sec1 and Sec2, 2 x 13V center tap, and 16V for Vdr. Are these more optimal voltages than the 60, 12, and 15 quoted above? Since I'll be having the transformers custom made, I want to go for the best solution possible.

pburke said:
folks, you'd sell more of these UCD700s if one could log into your webshop:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

type Exception report

description The server encountered an internal error () that prevented it from fulfilling this request.

exception

org.apache.jasper.JasperException
org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServletWrapper.service(JspServletWrapper.java:372)

--snip--
org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet.service(JspServlet.java:236)
javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:802)

note The full stack trace of the root cause is available in the Apache Tomcat/5.0.28 logs.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Customer, you'd be able to buy more if you could just try again. It works fine.

Re: Transformer details

GregD said:

After checking the UCD700 supply manual, a couple of questions come to mind.

1. For the 15V Vdr voltage, is a 0-15V transformer ok? On page 2 of the manual it says that Vdr is referenced to -(Vee) which would make it -45V. I'm a little confused by this.

2. The manual shows 63V for Sec1 and Sec2, 2 x 13V center tap, and 16V for Vdr. Are these more optimal voltages than the 60, 12, and 15 quoted above? Since I'll be having the transformers custom made, I want to go for the best solution possible.

The info of the manual is better..... There is of course some voltage drop in the regulators, so you better have a slightly higher voltage.

The Vdr voltage is referenced to Vee. So you must have the Vdr transformer floating!

Jan-Peter

Jan-Peter said:

The problem is fixed! Please try again!

Regards,

Jan-Peter

I just spent way too much money there, making Paypal richer in the process...

now off to buy some transformers and other goodies.

qustion - are a 16-0 Volt AC and a 12.6-0-12.6 Volt AC transformer ok for the addional voltages? I simply cannot find the exact voltages at the major suppliers.

Peter

SSassen said:
Peter,

Yes, that shouldn't be a problem, after the AC voltage is being rectified it is then fed through the voltage regulators that shave off a couple of volts each, so if you're close to the values listed (+/- 1 volts) you're fine.

Best regards,

Sander Sassen
http://www.hardwareanalysis.com

I was mostly worried about the additional heat sinking. I guess after rectification, I'll be a 1-2volts higher than based on the numbers given yesterday (12-0-12 and 15-0), however, now it seems that those were lower than what is in the manual (but what manual? it sure doesn't mention it in the UCD700 manual - I suppose that's part of the supply manual, which, incidentally, is not available yet).

So how many othere here have ordered some 700s? Time to start a builder thread, I think :) Mine will be full monoblocks, all hypex PSU, AD modules, Plitron torroid and some small transformers for the other supplies. The rest will all be decided when they get here and I hear the first sounds coming from them.

Peter

and another transformer question:

Given a transformer like this:

http://www.partsexpress.com/pdf/avelspecs.pdf

page 5 of this PDF shows some hookup options for this particular type of transformer. Based on what I read so far here, I would need to connect the primaries in parellel for the 115V AC around here, and the secondaries independent to get my two 60-0 and 60-0 outputs. Just making sure before I get the wrong parts. I may actually go with the 800VA units from Partsexpress, one for each monoblock.

Technically, since those aren't potted, I could wind my own 12-0-12 and 15-0 outputs. Can somebody give me a link to a resource that explains how to do that? I'm somewhat "cautious" when it comes to line voltages ...

Peter

pburke said:
I was mostly worried about the additional heat sinking. I guess after rectification, I'll be a 1-2volts higher than based on the numbers given yesterday (12-0-12 and 15-0), however, now it seems that those were lower than what is in the manual (but what manual? it sure doesn't mention it in the UCD700 manual - I suppose that's part of the supply manual, which, incidentally, is not available yet).

So how many othere here have ordered some 700s? Time to start a builder thread, I think :) Mine will be full monoblocks, all hypex PSU, AD modules, Plitron torroid and some small transformers for the other supplies. The rest will all be decided when they get here and I hear the first sounds coming from them.
Peter

The UCD700 supply manual was up on Hypex's website as of last night. I'm also building monoblocks, and plan on having custom transformers made.

GregD said:

The UCD700 supply manual was up on Hypex's website as of last night. I'm also building monoblocks, and plan on having custom transformers made.

well, let me hear more about the custom transformers - perhaps we can arrange something to drop the per unit cost. I plan on 4 monoblocks total when it's all said and done, so 4 more transformers.

I did some brief math and the 60-0 windings won't really get me the 90V suggested supply DC voltage.

Going to grab that manual now

Peter

cowanrg said:
pburke,

yeah, you will need around 65v secondaries to get to 90v.

so it looks like you've decided on the ucd700's huh?

yeah, I figured with the 400s and using only 40V transformers, I'd be well below of the power target I have in mind. Also, I do prefer overkill solutions over "works fine"

I ordered two 700AD modules and two supplies today. Now it's down to the transformer. 60V is easy to get, but 63-65V as recommended may require to go custom. But even if I have to use a 60V transformer, I'll be doing much better than a 400 with the proper transformer for max output.

Peter

pburke said:

well, let me hear more about the custom transformers - perhaps we can arrange something to drop the per unit cost. I plan on 4 monoblocks total when it's all said and done, so 4 more transformers.

I did some brief math and the 60-0 windings won't really get me the 90V suggested supply DC voltage.

Going to grab that manual now

Peter
I started a new thread to discuss the specs for the optimal UCD700 transformer here.
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=69374

I think it's a topic that anyone interested in building a UCD700 amp would find of interest, but I didn't want to clog up the main UCD700 thread with it - the UCD400 and UCD180 threads are scary long, and too hard to find pertinent information in.

Once we get the specs finalized, we can check with a few transformer manufacturers and get some quotes.

Leeuwarden said:
I will do that. I'll make a translation (sort of anyway...) of what I wrote on a Dutch forum later this evening. But just to give a hint: listeners are in for a very pleasant surprise!

Hello Leeuwarden,

Can you give me the link of the Dutch forum? I'm Dutch and I'm of course interested in the performance of the UcD700.

Groeten

Gertjan

Babelfish translation:

Promised as more concerning UcD-700. I got last week mailtje van Martin (speaker & co groningen) or I interest had to setje try demo UcD-700's. Tja, there say none you no against! Last peck Sunday with Martin agreed UcD-700's in lion ears on. This way said this way done. And thereby I drove to house with two neat monoblokjes that heavier was than they seemed... Come home the matter connected and waited until woman and children calmed down products Sinterklaas-pakjes-avond celebrated after at our on Saturday night. For half six was it up to that point, there became what stopped, therefore I saw children in bath my chance just as rapidly first luister-indruk of getting. Potverdikkie, which do not sound sick.... But eat well, firstly, kids to bed and then further... My installation exists from the following components: Preamplifier, itself construction of Thel, old type of cd-speler, itself construction of Steinmusic, ongemodificeerd (still...) Interlinks ongebalanceerd, itself construction, Prefer MGK-18 end amplifiers, itself construction, pass Labs Aleph 5 with CRC feeding UcD400, itself construction, standard implementation with 40.000uF Nichicon, ongemodificeerd luidsprekers, itself construction Alcone Fourier with Dynaudio D-260 Esotec On Sunday evening I have put UcD-400 concerning UcD-700. Here I had between the called amplifiers, appeared later, right the largest catch difference. UcD-400 sounds "clinically". Everything are there and are put down perfectly. But it sounds in my perception, on my installation (!), rather cold. Too exact. Holografische the image, soundstage, is particular good. Bass is deeply and "dry", it middle is clear and doortekend, it high is not shrill but sometimes exactly something at sparkling. Everything what I for this concerning UcD-400 writes do UcD-700 improve. A beetje do not improve, no, much improve. There is no stridency, no "dry" bass. However, clear and doortekend in the middle of. UcD-700 because of this more emotion gives to music as my UcD-400. The bass is deep and with what more feeling, it in the middle of and high beautiful "round" of consonance. For my feeling music moeitelozer is reinforced then at my UcD-400. That makes that UcD-700 the much are more pleasant to listen. To my records opinion UcD-700 the large step is forward with respect to UcD-400. Vanavond I have to the Aleph 5 and UcD-700 sit listen. I found the differences here less large. The Aleph 5 sound concerning the complete linie what warmer as UcD-700. The soundstage are at UcD-700 better as at the Aleph 5. The Aleph 5 go deep and UcD-700 for my feeling the still net something deeper. In the middle of and high is at the Aleph 5 sticking out. At UcD-700 also. There is however one thing where UcD-700, according to expectation, improve is as the Aleph 5. And that is the precisie, detail, with which the sound is put down. Effort-false-driven of UcD-700 is something what I have in fact still belonged to few amplifiers. And that is pleasantly a lot listens. If I could do it all concerning, which amplifier then my preference will have? That is not already too difficult: UcD-700. Why? My Aleph 5 stand 300 Watt also already to do them burn nothing. They are present in castes which sit already full with krassen because they are this way large that them not to avoid being at us in the chamber. The cat sits also sometimes: nicely warm... UcD-400 I would not choose for earlier-mentioned reasons whereas also this an amplifier is that the average amplifier far behind itself leaves. Up to that point my experiences with these amplifiers on my installation. I weerga for the rest the week UcD-700's to connect to be able enjoy there still even! Perhaps Jan peter can tell still something concerning the specifications (feeding, opamp e.d.) UcD-700 listened to of by me. At these I want Martin and Jan peter thank that I the chance have got UcD-700 of listening to. Jan

Well, with much improved beetje, I've just now ordered a pair of UcD 700s.

JP, or anyone, can the larger on-board capacitors be replaced without any special soldering techniques (ie, is the circuit board 2-layer/4-layer and does that matter)? As a more general question, should I be grounding myself to the board when soldering to avoid discharge calamities? I'm a tube guy, for the most part, and I have little experience soldering IC boards.

By the way, thanks for the translation pburke.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.