Any news on UCD700?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
serengetiplains said:
Don't know what you listen to over the seas, but I could see playing Filter's "Hey Man, Nice Shot" at all-watts volume through pburke's 1400W system .... ahhh, just what the doctor ordered for certain occasions, maybe?

how about 9 Inch Nails - Trent Reznor remix of "perfect Drug, all on Magnepan 3.5Rs in a room with only 2 walls, rest all open, bass suckout central.

read up on Maggies and you'll see why there can never be "too much power" Just look at the amount of air a planar bass woofer moves and you can see why a little extra help is needed

I don;t use fuses in the speakers, so clipping of amps is an absolute no-no - we're talking $150 to replace a ribbon tweeter.

XO frequency is 250hz - both amps run about 50-50 on the power load.

pburke said:

how about 9 Inch Nails - Trent Reznor remix of "perfect Drug, all on Magnepan 3.5Rs in a room with only 2 walls, rest all open, bass suckout central.

read up on Maggies and you'll see why there can never be "too much power" Just look at the amount of air a planar bass woofer moves and you can see why a little extra help is needed

I don;t use fuses in the speakers, so clipping of amps is an absolute no-no - we're talking $150 to replace a ribbon tweeter.

XO frequency is 250hz - both amps run about 50-50 on the power load.

Brings me back to a point I was trying to hint at before. Would your speakers have such things as 2 ohm dips in response? Where the amp is capable of 900W? Depending on your load and how you plan to use it, maybe you want an even bigger transformer? What do you think?

How about marilyn manson's remake of "tainted love"? Bass in that is incredible.

How about
Regards,
Chris

classd4sure said:

Brings me back to a point I was trying to hint at before. Would your speakers have such things as 2 ohm dips in response? Where the amp is capable of 900W? Depending on your load and how you plan to use it, maybe you want an even bigger transformer? What do you think?

How about marilyn manson's remake of "tainted love"? Bass in that is incredible.

How about
Regards,
Chris

2.7ohms somewhere in the higher frequencies, I think. 800VA by 4 should do it. I am gonna go with Kevin's bulk order. The way I listen most of the time, a pair of Bryston 7SST or my current Odyssey Mono Extreme amps are fine. A friend has $15k Krell monos on each speaker and that's real nice, except I can't afford that stuff, so I am going with the UCDs.

Gotta check out that Marily Manson tune. Usually I oly push the limits with stuff like Roger Water's "Amused to Death" (track 12 when the genie starts talking - this really pushes the bass panel limits- down to near 20hz I read somewhere)

Peter

pburke said:

2.7ohms somewhere in the higher frequencies, I think. 800VA by 4 should do it. I am gonna go with Kevin's bulk order. The way I listen most of the time, a pair of Bryston 7SST or my current Odyssey Mono Extreme amps are fine. A friend has $15k Krell monos on each speaker and that's real nice, except I can't afford that stuff, so I am going with the UCDs.

Gotta check out that Marily Manson tune. Usually I oly push the limits with stuff like Roger Water's "Amused to Death" (track 12 when the genie starts talking - this really pushes the bass panel limits- down to near 20hz I read somewhere)

Peter

Would be interesting to know how the UcDs compare with the Krell, please let us know.

Just checking out the "genie" indeed, that guy moves a lot of air (I have dipole woofers) but my UcD400s can handle it, I think the woofers would give up before the UcD would.

I like the "Amused to Death" also for imaging tests, pretty amazing stuff in there.

Cheers

Gertjan

ghemink said:

Would be interesting to know how the UcDs compare with the Krell, please let us know.

He has Martin Logan speakers on these right now - and since they weigh 175lbs each, I think we will have to compare the UCDs on his speakers. Still, he's always open to cheaper solutions. It'll be very interesting how these will compare (he has 350mcx monos)

Just checking out the "genie" indeed, that guy moves a lot of air (I have dipole woofers) but my UcD400s can handle it, I think the woofers would give up before the UcD would.

I like the "Amused to Death" also for imaging tests, pretty amazing stuff in there.

Cheers

Gertjan

the Q-sound imaging on that album is amazing, plus you have to give him credit for taking advantage of the full dynamic range available, unlike some modern artists who don't seem to care about their music being compressed to @%!# to sound nice and loud on the radio and on cheesy iPod headphones. Coldplay for example is music I cannot stomach on my maggies - gives me a headache the way they processed that stuff.

Peter

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.