Any Maplin MosFet Amp Guru's on here?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
My version of the Hitachi app note based on the Perreaux E2. DSCF3853.jpg

Yes, it's jsut that I have only one pair per channel... a redesign for me means using the existing devices with mounting bracket and heatsink. And possibly the PSU too (2x30V AC transformer)

Regarding the psu design..a nice saftey mod is to add two 6k8 resistors say 3 watt across the filters caps, 1 from the + rail to centre ground and 1 from -- rail to centre ground and add 100nf cap across each resistor this will act as bleed resistors ie aid descharging the caps when the amplifier is powered down.

I've never quite understood the point of that, the bias current would do the same

Most high end pa amplifiers use bleed resistors, take peavey they have done this also.

Look at it this way, the wondering hand would get a big zap if the psu was not designed to bleed away high voltages hinding inside equipment!

A crude way to decharge caps would be to short it with a screw driver mmm big spark..so you could use a quick bulb of 40w to 100w in a holder and some fly leads much safter all round.

Wow, been away a few days and this thread has really taken off, Interesting to see all the different Ideas, to give the original design a make over.

So now I'm caught between diving in and building the Pass F5, or wait and see what crops with this re-design wise, with the wrinkles of the original design ironed out, and suggested improvements incorporated.

Also nice to see in (Jamesfeline's) build thread that someone noted that these amps would give the Naim and Quad 405 (I Think) a run for their money.

I can vouch that under the right conditions these amps can sound very good indeed.

I need to go back and re-read the thread where the Bias is set to 100ma, as it seemed to be the sweet spot, but as my amps use the 2SB48 and 2SK133, I'm not sure that would be a good idea, would need to do some tests to see how hot they run.

At the moment, at a normal listening level, and the Bias set to 50ma, they don't even break a sweat.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.