And what did we buy today?

The motorcycle will get a new front wheel, tire, fender, fork tubes, fairing, crash bars, and some other trim as well as running lights and the gas gauge repaired as it quit working.

I may investigate having it upgraded to anti-lock brakes while they are working on it.

I did a fair bit of racing during my teens/ early 20's in production classes, one of the most difficult skills to master is conditioning yourself not to instinctively shut the trottle when the back end loses traction in a corner , if you do it's a 100% guaranteed tank slapper and highside as the tyre regains grip.
Until you've experienced it yourself it's hard imagine just how violent the force can be , looks like you had a close one mr Gimp at least your leathers did their job , i watch loads of bike vids on Youtube and it's shocking how few riders wear the proper gear , many in t shirts and shorts , trainers/sneakers and no gloves .
It might be nice on a hot day but when you're sliding down the road at 70mph on bare skin it only lasts for a few yards before you're down to the bone .

Last edited:
I regularly see people riding without any protection.

I realize that the best leathers and helmet can only protect against so much, but I always wear mine.

Leathers are supposed to be safe for more than one slide, but I think I'll buy new ones any way as mine are 18 years old. Synthetics are a definite "replace after one use".

My last helmet was DOT rated, the next one will be SNELL 2015 rated.

And yes, I realize just how lucky I was.

HD=Highly Dangerous.

I raced road and velodrome bicycles in my younger days and with good frame geometry and sew ups I wore my front tyres up past the rubber and into the silk side walls.
I also trashed the outer bearing race of a few pedals by daily grounding them mid roundabout....sliding both tyres under power on a pushie takes skill and is good fun !
I had enough sense to never go near motorcycles....I'd be dead by long ago.
I have one friend who still rides a BMW, the rest are full of titanium bits or have departed.

Dan.

Titanium intermediary nail #2 was removed after my bicycle "Incident of 1998", after six months in a wheel chair, six months on crutches, and three years in recovery.

Bicycle incidents suck.
Yeah, big time.
I was on the way to work chasing a mate who I thought had left before me and looked behind to check the traffic whilst accelerating full power into the back of a car that stalled leaving the lights.
Two broken teeth and a ruined bike....I can still feel the bike crumpling and my teeth shattering and scraping metal off the car's trunk lid.
I still have scars on both hips from laying it over too far at high speed and washing out....happens so quick and the slide is long.
I once grounded a pedal doing a u-turn and high sided myself...that hurt.
A dozen times I might have been dead except for good reflexes and a good handling bike.
Nowadays a gentle ride on cycleways is ample.... but the boy racer still lurks on the fun down hill road corners and curves.

Dan.

pd-301-b_front.jpg

CD Player with FM Tuner and USB

I'm probably the last kid on the block around here to have one of these, but I just got my $40 eBay special USB Universal EPROM Programmer. Of course the EPROMs I'm trying to clone are the classic 1702A, which this thing doesn't handle (can't really blame it - those were some weird old chips). So I also got a little USB 8-bit I/O board, which will handle both data and address - only 256 bytes, hee! Finished hacking up a bit of code to talk to the board, now I just have to wire up a socket, and rewire/mod an old brick power supply from an Atari 520ST floppy disk drive to power it up with +5 and -9 (?!). Then to rig up an adaptor board to replace the 1702s in the original equipment with something slightly less ancient from my box of 27XXX types. All this for a one-off project that my client probably cares less about than I do. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
$1200-$2000 to upgrade to anti-lock brakes.

I'll get it fixed, ride it for a year, sell it and buy one with anti-lock brakes.

I'm probably the last kid on the block around here to have one of these, but I just got my $40 eBay special USB Universal EPROM Programmer. Of course the EPROMs I'm trying to clone are the classic 1702A, which this thing doesn't handle (can't really blame it - those were some weird old chips). So I also got a little USB 8-bit I/O board, which will handle both data and address - only 256 bytes, hee! Finished hacking up a bit of code to talk to the board, now I just have to wire up a socket, and rewire/mod an old brick power supply from an Atari 520ST floppy disk drive to power it up with +5 and -9 (?!). Then to rig up an adaptor board to replace the 1702s in the original equipment with something slightly less ancient from my box of 27XXX types. All this for a one-off project that my client probably cares less about than I do. :rolleyes:

If I remember correctly, the 1702(A) requires a high voltage programming pulse of around 25V.

You are correct. This is the main reason I'm replacing the one in the equipment with an adaptor for a more recent design, something that my cute little programmer can actually program.

In addition to its unusual programming requirements, the 1702A needs both +5 and -9V just to make it work for reading, and also doesn't have a ground pin! It was an odd little beast, but we had to start somewhere I guess.