And what did we buy today?

Locking up brakes on a motorcycle is not a good plan for the most part.

It is kind of weird how they can straighten up and continue on after throwing off a driver.

The HD obviously didn't like the Ford F-250 as it made a beeline for it and hit the front bumper, then flopped over. I had to get the owner of the truck to move it back a few feet in order to have clearance to pick up the TCU-ULH.

Attachments

• lockup.jpg
    lockup.jpg
    495.1 KB · Views: 137
  • Beeline for truck.jpg
    Beeline for truck.jpg
    1,000.2 KB · Views: 132
Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Is it just me with abbreviations....

Locking up brakes on a motorcycle is not a good plan for the most part.

:checked: makes sense.

It is kind of weird how they can straighten up and continue on after throwing off a driver.

Sort of understand that. Some physical property, like a gyroscopic effect perhaps.

The HD obviously didn't like the Ford F-250

HD ? Hard drive :D High definition ?? Edit... Flash of inspiration :bulb: Harley Davidson. Is it :) I searched but it didn't come up as an acronym. Non biker here... can you tell :p

Ford F-250... I guess that is the white truck.

I had to get the owner of the truck to move it back a few feet in order to have clearance to pick up the TCU-ULH.

TCU-ULH ???

So is that what you bought today ? Whats one of them when its at home ;)

I know, its a Panasonic ULH cap. Must be a biggun to need the truck shiftin'

Whatever it was, enjoy it :)

I got the HD since they are as common as pickup trucks here, but didn't know TCU ULH. Being an engine guy I can understand panhead and shovelhead.

Gimp, The HD looks OK except for a little wrinkle in the front fender. I assume that you are in similar shape? It's hard to tell from two pictures, but I assume that an idiot in a cage (car) pulled out of the side street?

Things like this are why I don't own a motorcycle and no longer ride a bicycle on public roads.

I 've been a biker all my life and ' i didn't see him ' must be the most used phrase in accidents involving bike v car .
First semi serious accident i had was following a little old lady in a Morris Minor , yep that long ago , she indicated left and as i started to go round her on the right she turned in my path.
It wasn't a big crash , big dent in her door and the normal bent lever and scuffed engine case for me , but i was lost for words when she got out of the car looked at me with utter contempt and muttered ' You silly boy '.
The only thing thats really changed since then is they now drive Nissan Micras .

Indeed but i was young and inexperienced , my ' spider sense ' not fully developed :)
The best advice i was ever given as a biker was assume everyone else on the road wants to kill you , that and never ever make a maneuver with out looking over your shoulder .

Last edited:
I was in a 55 mph zone in the mountains of North Carolina when I entered a right hand curve (sweeper) and slowed down to 45. As I came out of the curve I noticed a car ahead with no break lights or turn signals on and it didn't register immediately that they were stopped in the road. I hit the brakes hard and ended up locking them up.

Locking up brakes on a motorcycle can lead to a condition known as a "Tank Slapper" where the front end goes into oscillation, quickly followed by the rear end going into oscillation out of phase with the front end. This becomes violent enough to throw the rider(s) off the motorcycle either behind it (Low Side) or in front of it (High Side).

In my case, I went high side, and was fortunate that the motorcycle stabilized and went left. I hit the pavement, and proceeded to tumble/roll to a stop.

My worse injury is a bruised sore shoulder, and several scraped up patches on my knees.

I was wearing a helmet, leather gloves, leather jacket, jeans, and boots. All the safety clothing needs replacing now.

By the time I got up, the car had turned left up a side road, came back and left the scene.