An ultimate amp protection circuit ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Good news, folks, the future last version will arrive soon. Great improvements, as it fires in...
0.77µs !!! This time, I'm fully satisfied.
One C.I. added and few resistances, and output to drive fans at two speeds as requested by L.C. Totally complete for your future projects. I have 1/4 comparator left, if somebody have a requisite :)

diyAudio Member RIP
Joined 2005
Good news, folks, the future last version will arrive soon. Great improvements, as it fires in...
0.77µs !!! This time, I'm fully satisfied.
One C.I. added and few resistances, and output to drive fans at two speeds as requested by L.C. Totally complete for your future projects. I have 1/4 comparator left, if somebody have a requisite :)
Having a section of an IC left over always drove me crazy :D

How's this coming along? I still have a part complete layout here, waiting for a final version of the schematic, but I won't progress it any further until all parts are known and known to be available. This requires a BOM complete with part sources where I can download the datasheets that so that I can cross-check the footprints.

A functional description of the circuit is also required, complete in every detail. I haven't got time to sit around figuring out what it's supposed to do, the last time I looked at it it I had to correct several errors before I could understand it. One of you other guys will have to give me an assurance that you have read the description and subjected the circuit to a critical review. I will also need to know any special constraints regarding physical layout and preferred dimensions for the board.

When the schematic is complete I will copy it into the software tool I like to use and re-post it. Someone must check it and make me aware of any errors.

I'll do the layout if it's made easy for me, but I will NOT drive the process, I have too much else on my plate at the moment.

I cannot find the schematic currently as it was on my old dead Mac harddisk. I will post it soon. I will scan it if required.

Gajanan Phadte
This sounds interesting, perhaps something to learn, whether it is good, bad doesn't matter - can you post a schematic ?

I found this: Transistor amplifier protective circuit
but it doesn't look like a very comprehensive protection

Various answers:
The cost will be minimal, apart the relays.
The BOM will be published, for the board can be designed. ,but you can help too to find the best parts too.
The schematic *looks* complex, it is not. Only 4 CIs, for all the feature including soft start, instant cut at power off, or AC power failure, temperature sensor and future fan's management. on two temps.
You are not obliged to populate the parts you do not need. And, in smd, will not be very large.
Yes, the way the input works is correct.
In case of failure of the amp, (sending DC, or HF as an example) the output is still monitored, while the input is shorted and don't go to the amp any more. So, the amp is supposed to produce no signal in output. If no failure, the protection will go in normal work 5 seconds later.
In case of short circuit on the output line, in some µs, the signal will be cut in the input of the amp, then, the output relay, protecting your amp both way.
In case of sudden DC in the input, the protection will fire. Then when the cap will be charged, return in normal work. Instant, the protection will fire again, because will be DC out of the amp, and no more in input.

May-be i can use the last unused CI to monitor better this last case.

Last edited:
Hi Esperado
greetings can LT1364CN8/PBF BE USED INSTEAD OF LT1365 as i had ordered these ics before changes to schematic were made as the ics just arrived by mail any
problem if i use them
warm regards
andrew lebon
Any OPA for the two first stages can be used, as long as they are fast enough.

Don't use the LT1716, it has been replaced by cheap and easy to find LM339. LT1716 Will not work any more, as it is not open collector.

New version in some hours.

Last edited:
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmphadte
I cannot find the schematic

Please, do not post it here, to not confuse visitors, open your own thread or do-it by PM.
Thanks.

Gajanan Phadte

Last edited:
Is it ok for you, this thermistance ? (it seems nice for amps radiators, and around 1€ / unit.

Attachments

• therm.gif
    therm.gif
    2.8 KB · Views: 349
Christophe,
You are proposing a thermocouple to monitor the heat rise of the transistors? I guess you would just set that to the maximum allowed temperature before shutdown as your trigger?
It is a thermistor CTN, looks fine, don't you find ?
NTCAIMME3C90373 http://www.vishay.com/docs/29131/ntcaimme3c90373.pdf
The error on the input is yet corrected, it was here, because i changed my mind, not finished, and forgotten !
I will publish the schematic this night.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.