An illustrated guide to building an F5

Well my first build, and very happy :) Thanks to all on the Forum (and Jim via email when I didn't put a cl60 on the primaries and blew several fuses!). I have some hum coming from the speakers I still have to work on - so any tips greatly received, but here are a few pics of my build :) (BA-3 preamp now on the 'to build' list!)
WP_20150523_006(1).jpg

WP_20150603_003.jpg

WP_20150610_012.jpg

WP_20150610_030.jpg

I have some hum coming from the speakers I still have to work on - so any tips greatly received, but here are a few pics of my build :)

@ Bristto

Congratulations excellent first amp build :)
Tips ? Ok
If you can reverse transformer and PSU positions
to keep more distance from speakers outputs.
Twist togheter pairs wires of transformer.
All is show in 6L6 builds guides
Keep all wires far from transformer and his magnetic radiation.
Hope this give you more clean background sound.

Greetings
Christophe

Thanks Christophe...!
Oddly enough (sadly playing with it at 0600hrs this morning lol) - the hum only occurs when its plugged into my preamp (preamp on or off!)
I have just completed some cable management - so audio cables are further away from the transformer... Still humming....
This may rectifiy itself when I finish my preamp build for it?!
Thanks

.............I didn't put a cl60 on the primaries and blew several fuses!).
use a soft start one CL60 does not have sufficient resistance for 240Vac mains supply. Try using a bank of 20r 5W resistors. Close rate your mains fuse (<=transformer VA / 240Vac) Increase the number of 20r until your T rated fuse stops blowing, or calculate.
I have some hum coming from the speakers I still have to work on -...............
You have a few twisted pair wires in there. But very many single wires separated from their complement. Close couple all pairs. Twist if possible. Once that is done, compare your hum measurement with what you have at present.

Joined 2007
Paid Member
F5 Grounding issue

I have the same problem others have mentioned, a slight buzz. I've lived with it for a couple years, I just don't put my ear up to the speaker, but I would like to fix this. When I short the inputs it's dead silent, so it has to be a grounding issue, right? My amp is pretty much identical to the build guide.

I have some ideas to try, but am wondering what others have used as their grounding schemes to solve this issue.

Joined 2003
Paid Member
I have the same problem others have mentioned, a slight buzz. I've lived with it for a couple years, I just don't put my ear up to the speaker, but I would like to fix this. When I short the inputs it's dead silent, so it has to be a grounding issue, right? My amp is pretty much identical to the build guide.

I have some ideas to try, but am wondering what others have used as their grounding schemes to solve this issue.

On all my Firstwatt diy amps, I used the basic grounding scheme and every one is dead silent. Every Time I have experienced any hum, it was caused by something up stream. I posted some while back about a hum problem with F5 when using a roku box as a test source. Turned out it was the monitor I was using along with roku box. Unplugging it returned all to dead silence! (it was only a temp test source.)

If when you short the input it is quiet, I thought that meant all was good with the amp, and something upstream was indicated?:confused: What the heck do I know!?!

Russellc

My F5 is super quiet. I don't remember if the RCA is isolated from the case but I think so. It is what I had to do on the camp amp. I read that the ground for the power contains a lot of garbage you don't want close to your RCA input ground. Did you isolate the RCA inputs from the case?

Joined 2007
Paid Member
My F5 is super quiet. I don't remember if the RCA is isolated from the case but I think so. It is what I had to do on the camp amp. I read that the ground for the power contains a lot of garbage you don't want close to your RCA input ground. Did you isolate the RCA inputs from the case?

Yes, the RCA's are isolated from the case with the plastic washers, but I will double check with meter.

Most stereo source equipment has a common Signal Return at the source RCA/Phono output.

Couple that to any stereo amplifier and one creates a loop in the Signal Returns.

D.Joffe explains why this creates a hum and how to attenuate it with HBRR & HBRL.

Attachments

• GroundingProblemsRev1p4DanielJoffe.pdf
    214.7 KB · Views: 132
Last edited: