An illustrated guide to building an F5

bias issues

Hi
I have F5 (V3) powered up, 24,4V on the rails, started with a variotrafo and no smoke...
But i cant bias R7 / R8 above 200mV.
Now I have meassured idss on my sk170 /sj74 (9v battery, no resistors) to 4,1mA. I have searched threads and found that I have to increase R5/R6. How much?

Or is there a way to calculate "right" value for drain resistors, now knowing idss????

(I actually started out with all resistor wrongly placed regarding V2/V3 labeling - sigghh, all replaced and pretty sure nothing is roasted.)

baek47

Joined 2007
Paid Member
Isolation Transformer

I've been trying to solve a problem with my F5 (no inputs connected) having a slight hum with my ear a few inches away from the speaker. Also a louder hum with the BA-3FE and Pearl II connected (ground loop), which can be heard from the listening position. I've tried different ways of grounding with no success.

I installed two Jensen JT-11P-1 isolation transformers (Thanks vdi_nenna) on the inputs of the F5 and the system is quite as a church mouse. The F5 still has a slight hum with no input connected but when the inputs are connected it's silent.

No downside so far, I've only listened to a few songs but I can't tell any difference from before other than the dead quite background.

IMG_1315.jpg

As you can see one transformer is higher than the other. I let my 7 year old son drill the holes in the chassis. It got away from him a little. Hey anything to get the kids involved, right?

.................What are the spec on the Thermistors for an F5 power supply using the universal boards?
One shown on mains input for 240v
CL60 suits big transformers rated for 110/120Vac mains power.

A CL60 does NOT suit 240Vac mains power.
Your transformer soft start needs a much higher resistance, than the 10 to 15ohms of a CL60.
Even two CL60 in series (for 240Vac) does not reduce the starting current enough to enable close fuse rating.

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Papa used the CL-60 in the factory-built Firstwatts, so it's safe to assume it works.

If you think there is a better part, and there certainly may be, please suggest it instead of just announcing (and yelling via caps) that the recommend part is not appropriate.