Amp Design/what goes into building a great amp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
There is a big audible difference between single ended transistor class A amps and symmetrical emitter followers biased in class A.

Ok now we are getting somewhere. From this I assume it might be the symetrical isnt that symetrical since most use PNP NPN pairs. Guess what I am after is physical reasons. (topological differences)

Joined 2000
Paid Member
A good place to start reading, when you have time, is www.passdiy.com. There are designs there that are simple to build and will give a good background on designing simple yet good sounding amps. Not all amps there are single-ended class A, but most are. More recently, the First Watt F5 (another Pass Company) put out a push-pull class A amp that some guys here are nuts about.

There's always something to read there and plenty of articles that teach aspects of amp design.

If you're going to design your own, make sure it's unique!
The people on here will see it a mile away and they will tell you!! ;)

good luck!

PS- if an amp doesn't sound good with standard parts, chances are it won't sound much better with exotic, carefully chosen parts. The topology says a lot about the out come of the sound.
My 2 cents there.

Key said:
... I believe there needs to be a certain amount of a suspension of disbelief for an audio system to work well.

Brilliant!

This is exactly the kind of line we should pursue a bit more diligently as an antidote to the obsessive-compulsive disorder so often in evidence on this forum.

There is something about music which can transcend the limitations of reproductive systems. You have to be able to shake yourself loose from listening to the system to derive the greatest appreciation of this, however. Or not have developed that kind of appreciation, as perhaps in childhood.

Very good amplifiers are widely available, and it is no public service to suggest that there will be anything other than a miniscule difference in the emotional satisfaction which can be derived by listening thru an amplifier costing just a few dollars compared to one costing thousands of dollars be it constructed with infinite pains or none whatsoever.

w

Andre Visser said:

I would say a good class-a design should give you more ambience and low level detail which will create a more realistic and believable reproduction of a good recording.

Andre Visser said:

I have found that the higher you run in class-a the better the ambience and low level detail, even if you listen at low levels.

Wavebourn said:

I would say, especially if you listen at low levels.

All of these benefits have been reported by ditching the passive crossover in place of an active one in front of the amp with a dedicated amp on each driver. Low level listening isn't as heavily rolled off and I believe you get much better low level details in ambiance. There could be a variety of factors why this happens though.

wakibaki said:
Very good amplifiers are widely available, and it is no public service to suggest that there will be anything other than a miniscule difference in the emotional satisfaction which can be derived by listening thru an amplifier costing just a few dollars compared to one costing thousands of dollars be it constructed with infinite pains or none whatsoever.
w

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

But I am free to speculate inventing my own explanations that work for me.

OK, sorry about the salesman comment, but Im trying to find real answers that can be translated into a real better amp. Not speculations and personal opinions. Just read the Pass article on distortion and feedback. Thats what Im talking about!! A scientific approach.

cbdb said:
No I havent read that one. Didnt know you were refering to a Christian Doppler. First time Ive heard of him. Could you tell me were to find it, or the name of the article. Thanks.

Here is some information: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doppler_effect

If to apply it to audio, what we hear in the physical reality is waves generated by oscillating physical things. Oscillating they move in "single ended" fashion in respect to the listener. The louder they sound, the faster is the movement, the higher is an energy of higher order harmonics in respect to the level of the fundamental frequency. Do you hear distortions when say an acoustic guitar sounds, I mean a real one, in the physical reality? Now, what happens if a sound reproduction track adds distortions that are very close to what we used to hear in the real physical reality, how big are chances to hear them? Now, how big are chances to hear distortions of the character that is never heard in the physical reality?

Sorry for very prompt answer, I have a disaster today: I have an amp's prototype burned that is scheduled to be used this Saturday on a concert, have to fix it ASAP and improve "fool proof" protection...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.