Amp Camp Amp - ACA

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
If I go on top and search "this thread" using "24" as search word......why don't I get any hits? ....too short search word? any suggestions if I want to quick filter out all replies which contains "24"? I am also going for 24V supply....

don't be lazy ...... :clown:

reading almost 4K replies isn't too much , considering that you're spared of entire process of amplifier construction

:devily:

Ok.....I just tried to be "smart".

I am also in a "pick up component" phase. I am waiting for the new PSB as there is layout for the modifications.....a far as I have heard.

So far I have ordered tranformers and chokes for the PSU. It will be dual mono. Last week I was at the Jensen Capacitor factory to pickup some capacitors for the project. The pictures shows what I intend to use for one channel. An alu foil 10 uF input capacitor, the orange cap is a 3300 uF / 63 V to be used as output capacitor. The two 4-pole 33000 uF capacitors is for the PSU. The Lundahl trafo is for size comparision. We will see if there is space on the new PCB for the 10 uF input capacitor......the relative big size may be a disadvantage......

Attachments

• DSC_3756.jpg
    DSC_3756.jpg
    326 KB · Views: 568
Joined 2004
Paid Member
It may just be a bad angle but the 10uF Elna cap in the middle of the board looks a bit 'rough'. Can you check that it isn't damaged maybe?

Hello everyone.

I finished my first ACA build and it sounded wonderful. I was really surprised at the build. This was my first build and it was an amazing experience.

I decided to clean up the wiring runs; to make it neat and tidy. You know that saying "if it ain't broke, you should totally mess with it - whats the worst that could happen"?

I finished the first board and tested it. The channel stopped working properly.
Initially, I was getting very very faint audio from the channel. Then, nothing. At all.

I have tested:

-checked rca cable
-checked speaker cable
-checked source out

-powerbrick is powered up
-adapter is wired properly in chasis
-power is running from the supply through the switch
-switch working properly
-power to the board at 24v
-led lights up
-however when I test q1 for voltage I get 0
-does not heat up

-I went back over all my soldering and re wired a second time
-other than the wiring I have not intentional changed anything

Pretty sure I ve managed to do something inadvertently and I am out of my depth to trouble shoot it further. I am a complete noob and as part of the learning process I'd love to figure this one out. Any insight/advice would be great.

Thanks in adavance

If I go on top and search "this thread" using "24" as search word......why don't I get any hits? ....too short search word? any suggestions if I want to quick filter out all replies which contains "24"? I am also going for 24V supply....

I've been seeing the same behavior for quite a number of searches...have reverted to using googol: diyaudio aca 24v
Returns results starting with:
Amp Camp Amp - ACA

After running for few months (using laptop psu), I am thinking to power up with a toroidal transformer. I have a 15v 250VA and the voltage I measure after leaving the capacitors, I got around 22v. Shall I adjust the pot to reach 11V? Currently running 10v with laptop psu. Does it matter to increase extra 1v?

Ordered the boards from the store on this site. Ordered the parts from the original parts list. Apparently there's been some changes in the parts over the years. Without reading this entire thread, is there relevant or, must know update information on this ACA? I'll keep reading in the mean time but it's a lot to wade through looking for specifics, such as, the actual heat sink size etc. I may have passed it since I only get time to read this when it's late or minus distractions.

Any help would be appreciated.

MrBoat.

An optional resistor of 2.21K has been added to increase the bias.
This increases the dissipation by around 10W.

Thank you baeijsman. Added to, or in place of? Perhaps I need to familiarize with the circuit a lot more. As it stands, I have just looked at the list and the board schematic. Not what each component actually does.