Aluminum MK2 Design Preview

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
A little update on progress…

I'm still in testing... but I was very surprised at the difference the tiny 50mm reflector & condenser is making with the big single ended 400 watt bulb I'm using. With or without the condenser the reflector improves overall brightness.

With the condenser in place, I can put a sheet of 3M DBEF film in the light engine and have just as much light output as if it wasn’t there without a condenser.

One problem I may run into with this design is it being too bright. I think I'll either HAVE TO use films to control brightness or not use the condenser at all with this pyramid. This Suckas bright :)

Oh and I did add a sheet of Lexan to the box for all you plexi fans :) You'll see when I post up the new pics

diyAudio Member
Joined 2003
With or without the condenser the reflector improves overall brightness.

huh funny that i was fooling with mine last night and i noticed the same, the condenser seam's to eat some light (im talking about 0.5% lol) rather then make it brighter, either way it doesnt matter what condenser i use with or without one it doesnt seem to make much difference with this reflector, sorry to hear it may be abit too bright but that u can fix, im sure u could get a big *** image with that machine of yours.

Trev

No, no... the condenser works great... but it may be the center of the brightness problems. It may be too bright with this condenser! I had to use films to control the brightness with the condenser in place. The pyramid alone works like a giant condneser with this bulb... so I really dont think I need it as long as I dont use films. If I end up using the DBEF films I'll keep it in.

JCB

Disabled Account
Joined 2003
I'm just about finished with my adjustments to the aluminum case. I'm hoping to have screen shots by christmas day. Make it a gift to myself :)

I just adjusted some of my heights and centered everything. After I mounted the LCD it sat 1/8 of an inch off center. The top was longer then expected due to how I had to mount the PCB's. I re-designed the light chamber (again, made it a bit longer for the condenser) and made some changes to how I had the mirror mounted. Even if I dont have actual screenshots by the holiday, I'll have updates of the construction.

Attachments

• power-light.jpg
    power-light.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 765
hey jcb im curious about that bulb hows things goin
im intrerested in using it in my next pj but i was hoping i could get some inside tips on it from someone that used it
i love the specs but was wondering if you had any trouble with it?
before i order it

No problems what-so-ever. As of right now I cant see myself going back to a 250 watt electronic setup. It's just not worth it and the 250 isnt much smaller either. Not to mention the bulb is cheaper, the ballast is cheaper and it's A LOT brighter.

As for tips, I'm sure you know what your doing and dont need any :) But You dont really need the condenser and reflector setup cause without it inside the pyramid we both use, the lamp is more then bright enough. But with them in place, inside the setup, the lamp is the brightest I've used so far.

Im finally off today, so I hope to have some final screenshots soon. I'll get exact measurements of the bulb in the socket for you. I just dont remember them right now.

www.diybuildergroup.com
Coming Soon

hmmm looks like a 400w MH bulb to me :)

your right its not much bigger than the HQI but HQI were used mostly to retrofit OHP..and then the enclosure craze came out lol
I used my HQI in my OHP that 400 w wouldnt even be close to fitting it.

BTW nice design a bit big but who cares! lol
Im guessing your using that NEC 1560M...

How much u want for that enc? ;)

i am using it for a 17" lcd the 250 is fine for a 15" but i want the extra lumans for the 17" and the specs are better all around
this fourm is about to see the first 17" DVI-I 1600X1024 super widescreen lcd projector with full 24bit color support no dithering
and full 720p hdtv compatibility for under $1000

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.