Aluminum MK2 Design Preview

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
A friend of mine managed to snap a few shots of the new case I'm building. Let me know what you think.

Attachments

• alloy2.jpg
    alloy2.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 2,378
diyAudio Member
Joined 2003
jcb

heya jcb ya its starting to come along nice, it will look good finnished, just out of curiousity does the frame flex at all? i noticed u used just the 1 rivet in the corners and just courious to see how strong it is as in flexing, also when done are u going to use castors for it to move it around? and are the panels going to be made out of plexi?

nice job man
Trev

Thanks Ace,

The frame doesnt flex much at all. I can sit on top if I want (which is surprising) I though this would be a problem too... but as it turns out the more levels I added the stronger the frame got. Plus I'm still going to add alloy straights on 45 degree angles in the bottom level of the frame itself. That should make it rock steady. I think I'm going to skip the casters because it's being mounted on a shelf behind the couch. No plexi in this design. All Aluminum.

Jcbklyny,
Its good to see that you have started your project. I cant wait to see some results. I just finished mine this weekend. The projector is no where near as pretty as the projectors that some of you have produced, but I think that the results rank up there with the best of you. My entertainment center has been reincarnated into a projector. Keep up the posts Jcbklyny, Great job.

Steve

Thanks again everyone.
All of the aluminum was purchased from 2 different local home depots including the aluminum sheets I'll be using for the shell. 48" and 96" lengths of alloy angles ran between 3 and 9 bucks a piece. Less for the straights. This is my second case actually. The first one was a wood & aluminum mix for the NEC 1560m. I recently sold it and started work on this one.

diyAudio Member
Joined 2003
jcb

thanks for the reply jcb, wasnt sure if it would flex much thats all, and the more levels u make the stronger it gets yeah, that alloy your getting is rather pricey, in australia its much cheaper, the the same stuff your using in this design its about AU$1 a meter, it seems weired how alloy is worth so much on this side of the world, in europe here its worth a fair bit too to buy, about the alloy panels, are they going to be polished by chance?

Trev

I wanted to use a polished alloy for the shell but in testing it was a little too much. A dull polished look seemed better (almost matching the angles). So It'll look more like the base on the second level in the pictures.

Going all aluminum did add more to the cost of the case. Total with all of the alloy, rivets nuts and bolts (for adjusting shelf and mirror mounts) it should run a total of about $50.00. A wooden version can be made for under 10 bucks.

:) Thats the best part about aluminum... it weights under 2 pounds as it is right now! The ballast is the real weight. When finished it's going to weight no more then 25 pounds with the ballast installed. If I did that with wood it'd be ALOT heavier.

Not to mention being that the entire case is alloy, the aluminum is going to act as one big heat sink lowering the overall case temp down anywhere from 20-40 degrees. (This has already been tested and compared to wood. It's also the reason I'm not using plexiglass anywhere). BIG difference. I'm using a radio shack digital temp mod that I used for my PC case mods to measure the temp inside the light chamber and on the LCD itself. It'll be mounted to the case shortly.

Hey
I have a degree in chemical and material structures so ill tell you the truth, plexi is more dense than alloy. It holds heat better and cools more efficently than alloy's. In regards plexi and alloy are almost the same regarding heat. The only difference is melting point, plexi bursts into flames at 350 c and alloys burst into flames at 650 c and melt at 450.Just to clear that up for ya.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.