Alpine 3502 not turning on?

85C is perfectly fine.

The hours are for testing the cap when it's stressed to the limits. Your caps will never be stressed anything near that. If you want to buy caps with longer life or 105c won't do any harm. That said, generally, 105c caps are often larger so it may be difficult to find the same capacitance that is the same size.

One more note. The 105c caps are typically only needed where the caps have a hard life and on the primary side. The inductor on the B+ input makes the life of the caps very easy.

For amps that are hard on caps (some of the old Rockfords were REALLY tough on caps. Those required the lowest ESR available, 105C caps.

Your Alpine was so conservatively built that virtually everything in it has an easy life.

Hi Perry, I don't know if the channel produces audio. I do have a 4 channel lab cope. The bias was dead even on both channels before the capacitor change. I have my pos and neg rail voltages which lead me to believe the problem is a wire or connection to the driver board. The three-legged
transistors that I unsoldered to remove the main PC board had other existing wires soldered to the legs. I think possibly a bad connection when I resoldered the transistor legs to the board.

Ok, were good now. bias responds well on both channels via the pot adjusters. I found a brown wire going to one of the pnp transistor that had come loose. How do i know the correct orientation of the dvom probes. if i invert the probes on the test points the voltage is either pos or neg. does it matter?

Hi Perry, well after getting music on both channels for about 3 minutes there was a stream of smoke coming from the amplifier. the amplifier no longer powers up. what would cause the power supply to shut down like that? What is the most common power supply component that usally goes bad?

I have used a multimeter to check diodes and transistors . this tool has never let me down.

Attachments

• IMG_0377.jpg
    IMG_0377.jpg
    659.5 KB · Views: 13