All Eminence OB

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
tinitus said:
The 10db peak at 2khz ... well, actually from 800hz to 2khz

Should be no problem with "6db", it just needs an RC and a notch

The BETA-15 seems like a nice woofer with lowish Fs and moderate Qts

Is 350 USD for ALL drivers ?

The Beta-15 sure is a nice woofer..

I will have to investigate further on the RC and notch.. Maybe it's time to learn one of those simulation programs..

And yes.. 350 USD for ALL drivers from thomann.de

Yunick said:

The Beta-15 sure is a nice woofer..

I will have to investigate further on the RC and notch.. Maybe it's time to learn one of those simulation programs..

And yes.. 350 USD for ALL drivers from thomann.de

Hi Yunick,
I am a little beat confused. When you design a loudspeaker you choose the speakers "by ear"?
http://www.eminence.com/pdf/beta-15a.pdf

Another thing, if it is to late to trade off the subs (I don't know if that was Zen or not...) and you end up with to much stuff in the xover then is not a first order any more. In my view all the idea fall's apart... if you take some time to look at the specs in the first instance that woul be easy, you know what I mean. I think the main design idea here is very good, but it is difficult to accomplish a good simple speaker, not impossible. It takes some time and work before you can "ear" the results. If you look, you will notice that for a low xover as yours (150Hz/1.order) it will not roll-off gently in the upper highs as I said before, unless you have something in your sleeve.

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
Well, we have to differ between electrical 6db and acoustical 6db ... pure acoustical 6db slopes may not be possible at all

If you look at 6" midrange ... highpass cap will most likely result in more than 6db, because of its own natural rolloff ... and so forth

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Yunick is at half way in making good xover for that combo ;

Beta's peak in range of 800 upwards is easy solvable with just Boucherot parallel to driver ;

goal is to stay at 6db/oct to preserve what we can preserve from energy of sig going in system .

slightly dislocated xover points for bass and main driver,along with just few minor correction elements and- finally - EnABL and phase plug will do the job .

anyway- as Yunick sez- in this prototype stage these spks are easier on ear and more fun to listen than his previous boxes

:devilr:

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
The BETA-15 might be better with lower Fs and the same Qts

And all else equal, a 6" ought to have better midrange quality

And the crossover that follows the kit might be of little use in OB, which has other qualities and may have to be tuned differently

It might be better to follow/copy this project ... well, a slightly wider baffle at the bottom wouldnt hurt ... and assymetrical placement of mid and tweeter

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Yunick will have this:

Attachments

• boucherot.gif
    boucherot.gif
    5 KB · Views: 2,043
I used to use them in a pair of PA speakers until I switched them out for some Eminence Kappa Pro 15's because the Jaycars didn't have the required grunt for loud in a pub !!! The Jaycars sure do have a sweet mid-range though ;-))

They have been sitting on the shelf for about 4 years, and I don't really have a PA use for them, so have been considering using them maybe in a Hi-eff OB for quite some time.

Problem is that I can't get the Eminence Alpha 6" down here, or any other half decent 6" PA driver that I can find, :-((
Anyone know the cheapest Eminence place over there ??

TIA AG

tinitus said:
The BETA-15 might be better with lower Fs and the same Qts

And all else equal, a 6" ought to have better midrange quality

And the crossover that follows the kit might be of little use in OB, which has other qualities and may have to be tuned differently

It might be better to follow/copy this project ... well, a slightly wider baffle at the bottom wouldnt hurt ... and assymetrical placement of mid and tweeter

Thanks for advice. I will be using a 8" because of mr. Linkwitz and i think it will produce more natural size of vocals and i think the should be more natural and one.

I'm still not super-sure wheter to use PA drivers or normal (hifi?) ones.

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
The only OB I have had, was a diy fullrange 2way ribbon (magnetostat)
It had something I still miss, but it also missed something I cant do without ... the slam and "grunt" ... power that will shake the floor

At the moment I want to exsplore really deep bass and I am planning on a 6th order bandpass sub
I have been thinking if it could be used with an OB design, if so it could make a wider range of quality mid drivers possible

The EMS 12" widerange driver mentioned elsewhere could be very interesting, but others like Altec, Supravox, Fertin or PHY is on the list too

Others have proven that with the use of 15ohm mid drivers, it is possible to get very good bass balance with a 4ohm sub driver of much less efficiency ... it is my hope that the attenuated sub will have qualities that blend well with an OB mid driver

They are not cheap drivers though, but not that costly either

hakunin said:

Thanks for advice. I will be using a 8" because of mr. Linkwitz and i think it will produce more natural size of vocals and i think the should be more natural and one.

SL used 8" because it was the smallest size driver that could effectively be EQ'd to go down far enough to meet his dipole high excursions sub-woofer style drivers. His choice of this sort of bass forced him to use 8" drivers for the mids, which in turn forced him to cross the mids to the tweeter quite low. Nothing wrong with either, but it does force the use of active EQ and active crossovers.

Another alternative is to use smaller mid drivers for the OB section, and then use a normal bass driver in a vented enclosure. The mids then don't have to be pushed down un-naturally to meet the bass. Then a passive x-o becomes an option.

BUT.. we are talking, here, about another concept again, the use of a high efficiency PA driver to do the bass, open baffle. Some large diam PA drivers actually have quite usable low mids as well, maybe enabling a higher crossover to a smaller, but equally high efficiency mid and top end, so long as a bit of directionality is acceptable.

I might add, that I can't find a decent hi-eff 8" down here either.

PHL I can get .......... perhaps if I win a lottery !! So anything I use will probably have to be shipped from US with the unfortunate freight charge. :(

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.