All Eminence OB

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
not together ;

I did listened to SFR144 , SFR200-8 , SWR200-8A in various circumstances - in horn loading , and bare drivers ;

Which one would you consider best suited for use in OB paired with 1 Alpha-15? I will add maybe a second Alpha-15 later on..

also - I listened to MJK- style OB , with 2 Apha15 per side , paired with two ancient oval Iskra's per side .... pure joy ;)

That sounds very promising :)
To bad those Iskra's are so hard to find where I live :-/

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Which one would you consider best suited for use in OB paired with 1 Alpha-15? I will add maybe a second Alpha-15 later on..
..../

see enclosed pic - that's for SWR200-8A ( Bass reflex/Onken use , AlNiCo - my fave ) paired with 2 Alpha's . for my ears - that driver have best mid and top end of Sonidos ..... even if just slight differences are in question .

sim is with "standard" MJK 12/12db/oct xover , two Alpha's . two per side is a must ...... but you already know that they're dirt cheap for results ......
even if they are scarce in Serbia , when you can grab 'em for 55E/pc ....... that's bargain .

edit: any of these Sonido's are bargain , too ; they'll never be in last 5% of Lowther stellar hights , but important difference is that you can listen the music from 1 hour of their electric life , not like with Lowthers ...... pain and trouble in first 500Hrs , pain and trouble in making custom plugs ...... and price is in range of 300E/pair , delivered too your doors .
important - Mighty ZM is just a happy customer , nothing else ..... :rofl: I'm boring even to my self with all that Sonido praise .....

To bad those Iskra's are so hard to find where I live :-/

they are hard to find even there ;)

Attachments

• SWR200-8A Alpha15x2 OB 12dbxov.JPG
    SWR200-8A Alpha15x2 OB 12dbxov.JPG
    79.1 KB · Views: 582
Last edited:
Hi OB fans:)

What about Dayton audio IB385-8 15" Infinite Baffle Subwoofer

Power handling: 350 watts RMS/600 watts max
VCdia: 2"
Le: 3.08 mH
Znom: 8 ohm
Re: 5.2 ohms
Frequency range: 20-500 Hz
Magnet weight: 90 oz.
Fs: 20.8 Hz
SPL: 88.2 dB 1W/1m, 90.0 dB 2.83V/1m
Vas: 11.11 cu. ft.
Qms: 12.08
Qes: .69
Qts: .65
Xmax: 14.3 mm
Dimensions:
Overall Diameter: 15-1/8"
Cutout Diameter: 13-7/8"
Mounting Depth: 7-3/8"
Magnet Diameter: 6-1/2"

This driver might be a solution on lower octave mounted instead of second 15" and filtered/powered active.
Truly, I am not experienced with building and tunning OB, but this dayton seems almost perfect to get some tones below 50 hz.

Jernej

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Last edited:
Hi Yunick!

Nice work!

I'm sure that the Zen Mod's proposal with two Alphas and a Sonido will be a hit. In the last years, we have come to the close agreement as to what works (and what does not work) in open baffles. I am still running a single Eminence Beta 15 paired with Visaton B200. I am still puzzled that you managed to get Beta 15 to work with only 1st order crossover ( I could not). At present, (still experimenting) I am crossing the Betas at 120 Hz 12 db/oct (Linkwitz-Riley), biamped and aided by Graham's T-bass circuit. Visaton is cut at approx. 300 hz 12 db/oct (Linkwitz-Riley).

I guess that with Alphas it will be much easier...

Also, for relatively narrow OB's, I have found that they sound better without side wings...

Joined 2006
Paid Member
I like the Dual Alpha's myself, with Grahams circuit goes pretty strong till 40hz or so. Seems 'fast' and 'dynamic'

ZM, Did you get Sonidos to make to OB spec's?
I e-chatted with Zoltan, and says that can be made to spec for this.

I am thinking of course a Goldwood 18" with a Sonidos 145-A on a panel...

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
I like the Dual Alpha's myself, with Grahams circuit goes pretty strong till 40hz or so. Seems 'fast' and 'dynamic'

ZM, Did you get Sonidos to make to OB spec's?
I e-chatted with Zoltan, and says that can be made to spec for this.

I am thinking of course a Goldwood 18" with a Sonidos 145-A on a panel...

look here : OB za Davora - DIYAudio.rs

even in Serbian , pictures are selfblahblahexplanatory

Alpha 15 is dirt cheap nagnagnag....

for translate use google translate ......... or learn Serbian , so entire world can understand you ...... :rofl:

Joined 2006
Paid Member
for translate use google translate ......... or learn Serbian , so entire world can understand you ...... :rofl:

Здраво ЗМ - који желе да разумеју шта ја мислим? Понекад оно што ја мислим - и то је прилично глупо. :D:D:D

Hey - I did that via Google translate - so if it is messed up and has a buncha cuss words - or makes no sense at all................. well it most likely that GT messed it up. OTOH - maybe I don't make any sense in da 1st place!!! :rolleyes:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.