All Eminence OB

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I think the Sonidos will perform to their very best in OBs. I also have had communication with the manufacturers, but I do not think they actually understand the OB virtues. However you will not go down into the low bass with the Sonidos.

Alpha15 and Sonidos might very well be a real winning combo.

/Erling

Hi scorpion !
I had much trouble to get those monacors from a local dealer. They delivered them +10 days pass the schedule. Therefore i couldn't pass my experience with them...
Meanwhile, i obtained several old oval alnicos...
First three pictures that ZM posted presents Tesla ARE668 which are in perfect condition, but they sound quite dreky to my taste.
Those with yellow dust cap are "Telekomunikacija Ljubljana", and they are few db's more sensitive than Tesla's. They sound much better but still i got listening fatigue during longer sessions.

My current setup consist of "same" loudspeaker, but with removed dust cap and phase plug installed. I said "same" ,because it has same basket, same cone, same magnet, but they came from a different manufacturer.(check the picture)
As u can see, left one has much better preserved cone so i didn't want to install phase plug because i had these old ones to experiment.
So, i now have 3 pairs of old alnicos, Teslas ,T-LJ, and Ei. Ei's are those with removed red dust cap and with phase plug.

They sound absolutely great with phase plug.
Sound is maybe just little thin(and that is maybe not their fault) but it has huge sound stage presented with best effortless dynamics that i have ever heard.
I run them FR and Alpha's 15" are crossed with 6.7mH and 30uF (that values i had in "drawer" :D )

After one week living with thees loudspeaker's, i finally got Monacor's so i compared them in just the same conditions with one Alpha 15". Now, i know that is not ideal setup and they couldn't "shine" with such crossover, but it did gave me enough to hear what are they capable of.
One thing is sure-that monacor are great speakers. But i think they have less dynamics&staging than alnicos, but they have amazing disappearing ability!

For now, my setup is consist of Ei oval alnico with phase plug running FR ,Alpha 15" crossed with 6.7mH and 30uF , and backfire tweeter Selenium st324 just capped with 330nF.

Attachments

• image041.jpg
    image041.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 693
Hi chakija,

Thanks for sharing. Yes it is both the wonderful and never ending story of seeking the best sounding compromise.

May be I was lucky by pairing the Monacor SP130X/8 with the R1524 in my 'Volks-OB': http://www.audiocircle.com/circles/index.php?topic=46951.0 but they also performed well accompanied by Eminence Alpha 15s. The 'Volks-OB' combo however stands out a bit in delivering very well defined bass and the fullrange complementing nicely above.

/Erling

Zen Mod said:
in a meantime - read everything you can find about Graham Maynard's T network for OB ;
there is active thread on DiyA

Sorry to barge in like this, but I always find your posts interesting Zen_Mod.

What is your opinion of the T-bass (transformer-bass) circuit devised by Mr Maynard?

I have just ordered 2 x 500VA toroids for my next implementation.

Thanks,
Simon

Hi,

I have tried the GM's T-bass, albeit with sub-optimal components (underrated transformers). It does work, but you will need an amplifier that is capable of running into very low impedance loads. My SS Sony amp that I am using for My Eminence Beta 15's in OB, was going into "protection" mode and disconnecting the speakers at higher volumes. But that does not mean that you should not go for it. I just regret not having a more robust SS amp...

Just my :2c:

BHTX said:
Alpha-15A actually has a fairly light cone for its Sd, especially when you start comparing with other similar drivers from other manufacturers. Of course, it couldn't be too heavy with such a tiny magnet though. Anyway, as far as the Alpha 15 for mids.. it's actually MUCH cleaner than A LOT of MUCH more expensive 15's.. except for that 2 KHz breakup! That huge peak at 2 KHz just kills it all, pretty much rendering it useless for anything other than low frequency duty on an open baffle. On the other hand, wtf is causing that peak? Someone rip off their dustcap, stick something in there, and measure the response at least. I've been dying to figure it out. What if we could turn this cheapo OB woofer into something really nice with greater usability, just by doing a minor tweak or two?

http://www.prodance.cz/protokoly/emin.alpha-15a.pdf

Hi BHTX,

Just came across your post. My suggestion.

Fit a whizzer type tweeter cone to reduce the peak and extend the response. Dust cap would need to be removed, the pole piece lined with damping felt, then dust cap trimmed and refitted inside the whizzer.

However this driver does not have a powerful magnet, so it will always be best as an augmenter to a smaller higher definition driver.

Cheers ........ Graham.

Hi, that is an 8" WG by Dayton. I bought it from PE.

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=270-308

Those triangle felt pads around the mouth are added by myself, for reducing edge diffractions, work very well.

The overall sound is pretty good. Very dynamic and vivid by the modded guitar driver -- as a big midrange. And the woofer is driven by the T-bass circuit, which I think essential to any OB woofer.

Hi Simon,

Don't worry about the wording. As I see the throat of 'this thing', it's actually not like a "real" waveguide...

OK, yes it's an APT-50 driver behind that plasitc stuff. According to the datasheet, this 8" opening one I'm using has a 2.2kHz cutoff. I'm using it to about 3kHz (slightly below the APT's recommended lower limit).

Sure the horn is slightly too large and providing extra control (or loading) which is not fully used.

There're a series of simular circular horns by Dayton. I have 8", 10", and 12" ones. Their lengths are similar and the bigger one just has larger mouth and wider flare. I have ever used the same APT with the 12" one and still 'only' to 3kHz, and I like it better than this 8" one because of the more open and effortless sound.

I'm using 8" one now is because the baffle area is limited. And the felt pads around the mouth more or less render a sound character towards the larger one. So I'm content with it now.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.