Aleph PCB group order

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I really think that beefing up the traces (soldering bare wire to trace) is going to be important, as I will be doing an Aleph 2. Maybe we should kill the soldermask - I'm more for functionality than "beauty"... especially since it won't be seen after the chassis is made. And even if you have a "pretty," professional board made... if the chassis itself and layout inside is a mess, there's really no point to it.

So, IMO, I think we should skip the soldermask (which would also automatically kill the silkscreen). Any objections???

BrianGT - I totally don't want to put you in a position to do more work during school... I've been there - it sucks - and I'm sorry :) School should be your priority - all us mooching buzzards come last - k?

Here are some considerations for the board design that I have considered:
1.) Does anyone object to a 2-layer board design with plated through holes? This could allow for a sizable reduction in board size, along with shorter traces between components.
2.) Would a ground plane be preferred? This could easily be done with the change to 2 layers.
3.) How many resistors are desired to be on board for the output stage?
4.) Should the board have the option of having a single pair of output devices on board, leaving the option for a Mini-A (10w aleph).
5.) Is it a good idea to couple together the diff pair, without heatsinks, (back to back), as for best thermal tracking?
6.) What gauge wire is to be used for wiring to the output devices? Would making the spacing for terminal blocks preferrable?

1) I'm more than open to it - smaller board = cheaper manufacturing/layout price. And shorter traces are ALWAYS nice :)
2) Preferred??... hmmm... I say may as well, if a second layer is being added anyway. This might help out a bit with noise suppression from the transformer/PS if the board is mounted on top of it.
3) As many as would be the max for the largest Aleph ideally. User just would put in as many as required for the model he/she is buildling. On the other hand, these could be placed on the output board if one is done.
4) not a bad idea... would make for a VERY simple and nice Headphone amp :hphones: Muuuuwwaahahahahaaaaaa :cool:
5) It's an option, but one could always use an aluminum bracket.
6) Personally, I'd rather have a solder connection over terminal blocks - no corrosion long-term. And no screws to come loose either.

Here's pics of my solution to puny traces. I scraped solder mask off in a few places to attach

Attachments

• s_picture 002.jpg
    s_picture 002.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 564
I would be interested in two pairs. I used Brians original Aleph PCB and it worked really well. The double sided idea is nice but not necessary. Although that would make for a really compact water cooled version which is what I am aiming to do next. I wish JAYV would finish his PCB layout!!

Thermally coupling the input devices together seems to have little effect on anyting...even output offset. Careful matching of the output devices is what plays the big role there. Personally, I say leave well enough alone and just produce the same PCB.
Mark

Total it up...

I had left the thread sit for a bit to give people a chance to chime in if they wanted...

The general concensus seems to be that leaving the boards as is would be just fine. Going with the soldermask and screen print seems to fit OK too... and for those of us that want to beef up some traces, we can always sand off the mask where needed - good suggestion by Brian Donaldson. The only thing for doing soldermask would be that we would need to add an additional layer of copper to the back in order for them to mask it. This would be up to BrianGT and his work load - otherwise we would just have a single sided mask.

To group summarize... here's what we have for orders:

Sandy H. - 1 pair (post #9)
spitz - maybe 1 pair (post #10)
kleung - 1 pair (post #11)
MikeZ - 3 pair (post #13)
RKH - 1 set, maybe more (post #14)
kilowattski - 1 pair
Brian Donaldson - 2 or 3 pairs (post #23)
roddyama - 2 pair (post #26)
Bikeman - 1 pair (post #27)
Super_BQ - 2 pairs (post #30)
Mark A. Gulbrandsen - 2 pairs (post #47)
HeadshOT - 1 pair (private email)
Brendon - 1 pair (private email)

That makes a total of: 19-20 pairs of boards!!

At this point, I'd like to have everyone above start sending me the money... however you choose - I'm flexible. Contact me for address information if so desired. I will be emailing all of you to make sure everyone knows.

Lets shoot for a 1 week deadline for payment, OK? That makes Thursday, the 23rd of October the tentative deadline.

If there are any more people interested, you're more than welcome to get in on it... right up until the day I make the order.

talk to you all soon

Yea,
We kinda need to know the price...which I assume will be determined, in the end, by the actual number of boards you order....
Also an address as to where to send the green stuff to. If you don't want to post that here then you should contact us by e-mail, but I see no problem with you posting your address here for all us to send our orders to.....
Thanks,
Mark Gulbrandsen
cinerama84106@yahoo.com

I meant to organize things last night and get to everyone via email, but we lost our cable connection... so no internet last night.
My apologies...

I guess I did sorta jump start things a little quick, especially since I didn't show a final price. I will be emailing you all individually with my address as I don't feel confortable leaving it on the forum... (sorry Mark...)

I have not gotten a reply back from BrianGT on what time he has to make the extra second layer: this two things for us (1) to get dual soldermask, and (2) gets us a much nicer looking board for the same price as a single layer with no soldermask or silkscreen

To be fair, hold off payments to me until you I let everyone know exactly what we'll be getting. I'm not sure what I was thinking yesterday, my apologies - I guess I'm a bit excited to get these boards :) At this point, board layouts will be the same as what Brian has posted pictures of in this thread (the original, not mini size). I am asking Brian to add a second layer to the PCB so we can get soldermask on both sides (rather than just one). If he can't afford the time right now, we'll be getting the board with just one side having soldermask.

I have heard no major objections with the long lead time, so we'll be going with the 5 week pricing. Unless we get 25 more board orders (not pairs, 25 single boards) there won't be another price break. So it's not likely to change. If we get enough extras, I'll send the extra ~$2 per pair back to each of you with your boards. Any objections? I say this because I don't know how many extra people will be sending me money last minute. I do have a couple extra orders now... but not nearly enough to put us anywhere near the next price break.

The boards will be 6"x4", 2.5oz copper, with at least soldermask on the layout side. If Brian can afford the time, I've asked him to make a second layer of pure copper just to add the second soldermask and silkscreen. For clarification, the soldermask will be green. The cost difference between what was originally quoted in post #1 and the above specs is just pennies. So, I haven't bothered to subject any further cost to you all.

Ok, pricing, as in the first post:
$22 per pair of boards.
+$3.75 flat rate USPS shipping in padded envelope

For those ordering additional pairs, just add the additional cost of the extra boards. I will take care of the extra shipping costs that incurr (I'm not anticipating an issue here, unless someone orders 5 pairs...)

For those that wish to use paypal, add 3% for the fees involved.

I'm moving the tentative deadline for payment out to Monday the 3rd of November. This gives Brian some time to make the second layer, and gives extra time for those who are waiting on a paycheck to make a decision. I will be out of town for the weekend of Friday 10/31 through Sunday 11/2. Don't be angered if I don't reply at that time...

Hopefully then, everyone should have their boards well before Christmas. Hope this clears things up - and thanks all for ganging up to be able to do this!

Best wishes -

Brian and I are in contact again, and he and I are working out the final changes to add the second layer of copper so we can get the dual sided soldermask.

I will be emailing everyone individually that has "ordered" a board when the board is finalized by Brian. I don't want to put people in a position to pay for something that isn't yet totally defined.

Talk to you all soon... :) Just watch your emails in the next couple days for my contact info.

Out of US 48 states shipment is up to the purchaser. You determine the route, type, style, etc... and you get a quote. When you've decided, just give me the information for shipment to you in an email with the final price breakdown. I'm happy to help by being open to shipping overseas, but I don't want to deal with the details. That's up to you...

Sorry if that sounded rude, that's not my intent!! :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.