Aleph J Schematic

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
EUVL said:
> even 27 can be fine ;

You probably have not been listening to Mr. Curl on the Blowtorch thread.

Whether the JFET will blow at 27V is one thing, whether it still operates properly is another.

Patrick

EUVL , gimme a break ;
if it works on 24 , it will work even on 27 ...... but you must always count on +10% in mains voltage . that is where is real danger , not in squible about tiny fraction of lesser performance;

if I must pay price as usual to collect knowledge in mentioned thread... that always leave bad taste in my mouth .

man can resort on L input filter if xformer in case is on high side , voltage wise .

or burn few volts in R part of CRC filter
whatever

if you wanna comment something - ask Papa why he isn't cascoded little critters

B.L. said:
My Aleph J - modified A5 PCB.
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

This type of horizontal layout is really nice.

One thought, could the distance between the 2 output sections of MOSFETs be increased to better take advantage of the heatsink? Having the actual dimensions of this board would be helpful to judge.

Having space for the 2 additional output MOSFETs is a nice option for higher biased version.

In both board designs above it's great to see the input and output sections on one board rather than 3.

Just my $.02 worth.

Nice work guys.

-David

Thank you very much, Steen. Here's the latest version:

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Doubled the power resistors, so 1R/2W types can be used (much easier and cheaper to get over here), added two decoupling capacitors, increased the space between the output transistors, and did some other minor modifications. Pcb is now 100 * 100mm. If anyone's interested - here's the bottom layer pdf: http://www.hb001.de/aleph_j5.pdf

ask Papa why he isn't cascoded little critters

I am curious about that too.

I had my blue aleph mini boards cascodeded briefly, and listening in mono I noticed the detail was amazing. But it went POOF the next time I turned it on, and the jumper wiring I did to cascode it was too much of a PITA to swap out the jfets, so I didn't keep the cascode.

But I am working on a cascoded aleph board -- with the intention of becoming a respectable citizen by doing away with the blue boards in my mini-a.

JJ