Aleph J Schematic

Does it really make such an hearable difference?

Is better damping factor the only advantage or is there more advantages? Say you use a large inductor in the crossover with series resistance of 100 mOhms. Then damping factor is still 80 % of original with this amp which shouldn't affect it that much or?

Or just if for the sake of it you DIY wind an monster inductor with a series resistance of less than 50 mOhms so that damping factor is 90 % of original value. The Aleph J already have fairly low damping factor, does a decrease of 10-20 % really make such a difference?

I mean, DIY winding of obscene inductors would be way way cheaper and much more simple than building another Class A amp, matching levels and that :p

If one had an obscene inductor in the crossover with this amp, would biamp-improvements be theoretical or real? Are the tweeters affected negatively by the crossover or is it only the bass that suffers from less damping factor?

// Olle

Driving a sub crossed at 40hz with an Aleph J really makes no logical sense. It was not designed for that. The typical subwoofer has distortion of several percent in that range, current and damping factor are much more important than the vanishing distortion numbers of a particular amp. An active low pass filter is the most logical way to do it.

Pretty much OT, hey.

I have desided to make 3 stereo Aleph J's instead of JX, to run some horns.

I remoddeled some big *** toroids to give 2x18 volts last night and need to order the PSU parts for CRC PSU, can someone help me with this. I am still learning how to do the PSU simulation and want to get a parts order off so i can receive the parts before Easter holidays. I think the toroids should be around 500va and I am using 4 output fets per board, going for 25 watts per channel.

Thanks in advance.

The one and only
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Here it is again.

:cool:

Attachments

• ALEPHJ.gif
    ALEPHJ.gif
    56 KB · Views: 777