Aleph J Schematic

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
EUVL said:
> if we use slightly higher rails - is it cheating?

No. But that gets you back to post#241 which is really equivalent to the first solution in post#220..

I have the feeling that you are really going round in circles right now.

Patrick

hehehe ........ then teach me ....... ;)

there it is - another perpetuum mobile from ZM's cousine

EDIT:
have you measured data for LU xconductance?

Attachments

• a-j.jpg
    a-j.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 1,819
The J511 on the RHS somehow stops the diff pair from working ??
And splitting the 1k into 250 does nothing but reduce 1st stage gain by a factor of 4. In fact, the 750R might as well be removed.

> have you measured data for LU xconductance?

You can calculate from the slope of Id vs Vgs.
Under ZV9 bias, it is about 4S, and the source resistor is dominant.

Patrick

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
EUVL said:
The J511 on the RHS somehow stops the diff pair from working ??
And splitting the 1k into 250 does nothing but reduce 1st stage gain by a factor of 4. In fact, the 750R might as well be removed.

> have you measured data for LU xconductance?

You can calculate from the slope of Id vs Vgs.
Under ZV9 bias, it is about 4S, and the source resistor is dominant.

Patrick

so looking at difference between LU and , say, IRFP150 - it's >cunning< to increase drain res for same ratio .......

naah ...... maybe I'll just use nice choke under that 2SJ :devilr:

EDIT _ I know that that J511 can't work like that ........ I told ya that is Perpetuum Mobile

:rofl:

Attachments

• a-j.jpg
    a-j.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 1,760
some referring material

Zen Mod said:

so looking at difference between LU and , say, IRFP150 - it's >cunning< to increase drain res for same ratio .......

naah ...... maybe I'll just use nice choke under that 2SJ :devilr:

EDIT _ I know that that J511 can't work like that ........ I told ya that is Perpetuum Mobile

EUVL said:
> naah ...... maybe I'll just use nice choke under that 2SJ

Good. You get 0V across at DC, right.
BUT, now you need a choke that has a constant impedance from 20Hz to 200kHz, or you have frequency dependent open loop gain. AND 90� phase shift ??

;)

Patrick

referring to http://www.ne.jp/asahi/evo/amp/SITamp.htm,
maybe some new ideas come out, i think .

Why not wait for NP's PCB layout?

I'm sure I'm missing something here, but since Mr. Pass will, if past is prologue, eventually publish his own PCB layouts, why spend so much time and energy on interpreting the schematic? I for one would be more than happy with a diy clone of the Aleph J, using the master's own board design.
Are the variations here meant to improve on performance or reduce cost? Seems to me the biggest ticket items will be the toroidal transformer and the chassis, which you will need regardless.
Or is it just the pleasure of the intellectual pursuit, like taking one of Miles' charts and blowing your own riffs on top of it? If I understood amplifier design better than I do, I could appreciate that.
I don't mean this as flame bait, not at all. I built various kits back in the golden age, the 60's, and have recently built a diytube clone of the classic Dyna ST-35 that I'm really happy with. And I purchased brand new a Threshold 400A circa 1979 that I loved a lot. I'm really intrigued with the idea of building one of Nelson's designs.
I just get a little blown away by some of the discussions here, and a little intimidated.
Thanks,
Larry

Hi Larry,

don´t waste any more time!

On www.analogforum.de is a tread where a layout based on Papas´ schematic has been made.

It is not like the original layout, but an adaption for better practicability.

As the original Aleph J is available to a member in the forum, they also stand the chance of a real A-B comparison.

Btw, they have a deadline ending today for pcb orders...

Cheers

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Zen Mod said:

is this cheating?

I think that this schmtc is good enough for start ; without Aleph CCS for start ( without CCS modulation) , just twidling with few parameters ; it's easy to implement right amount of modulation for upper half .....later

edit:

I forgot to say that PSU filtration is premised to be good ......... anyway ;) , same as for any A class amp