• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Aikido 9 pin All in One Build

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Let me see if I understand how to calculate R12a and R12b.

On page 8 it says 6CG7 tubes will draw 2.6mA. Together that's 5.2mA per channel, or 10.2mA total. (I'm using four 6CG7's)

My transfo is 230vac, so 230X1.414=325.22, minus 2v for rectifier loss. So the transfo once rectified will deliver 323.22vdc. So I need to drop the voltage by 23.22vdc. According to the chart in the manual, R12a would be 3,000 and R12b would be 10,000.

Can you guys double check my figures here?

OK...well first it is not more voltage, it is more CURRENT.

Now as to the technical piece, not sure how to put it other than tubes have sweet spots of sounding the best and passing along/amplifying the cleanest signal.

What I can say is I have played quite a bit with operating currents in my 9 pin aikido and my personal preference is that the amp sounds better to me with the tubes running hotter (more current). Downside becomes shorter tube life but in the grand scheme I am not running $$$ NOS tubes where I might second guess this approach.

Yes, R17 and R18 create the voltage divider to create your B+/4 for heater reference.

Typical you would use the 300K / 100K combination. So think about it. If the series of R17 and R18 offers 400K of resistance right? You have 300V going into the circuit which ends at ground. So, under 300K resistor and above the 100K resistor you will have dropped 75% of the voltage right? Thus...the tap creates your B+/4....

I've been reading some of Broskie's blog posts and (I can't find the link right now) he mentioned using more plate current for the input tube vs the output... I remember giving examples of 300r for the input tube Rk and 1k for the output tube Rk on a 6SN7/6CG7. He said it would cause the tubes to age at different rates and said the input and output tubes could be changed to even out wear.

Is there a good reason to run the input and output tubes at different plate currents?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.