Advice for driver

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Hey Dave, what speaker cab combo are you living with at the moment...

FH3 with A7PeN at the moment. Chris will need the A7 soon for the new MTM so i'll 1st switch to Mar-Ken12PeN, but i expect those drivers to go soon, so maybe the same FH3 with stock A7p after that. Chris also has another set of FH3 with supraBaffle so FH3 with FE103 Sol & CHN70 (and CHS70) are potentially in the mix.

dave

Sounds like an interesting implementation. As Dave say's, the FX120 is a very nice driver, and certainly laid back compared to the FE126eN. Very smooth thru the mid-treble region. Sd is only 66.5cm^2 thou, so maybe a little on the small side? If they're a good price, maybe hard to pass up. They work well in other enclosures also. I have mine in an Onken box, on the desktop at the moment.

A10p is also a very nice driver. Capable of deep bass in the FHXL enclosure. I would probably pick this driver for a "single" speaker application over the FX120, because of the extra bandwidth.

jeff

Thank's Jeff..
FX120 is interesting for me, cause the prices, but not for sounding..
I keep A10P, at this time.
It's not easy to choose a FR when you have already listened to a lot of things and you want even better ..
Phil.

Nigel - couldn't some of your examples more accurately be classified as live PA / sound reinforcement application, than your average domestic playback system?

I mean, 11 is definitely more than 10, innit ;) - but in smaller spaces, even 9 is a bit much?

Yes the FX120 is a nice enough sounding driver - a bit of an orphan in the line these days perhaps, but not at all hurtful, and at the right price still a contender in its weight class.

But as Jeff suggests above, the 10P and 10.3 are pretty good candidates for single driver application - the smaller units really shine with filtered LF support. .

Hello, just received my alpair 7.3s and I found some really cool hard wood at work that I would like to repurpose... I only have enough for a bookshelf enclosure.. 6.5inch for front baffle and the rest that follows, 10 inch for sides... where can I get a plan that would work... Thanks for the help Dan

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.