AD797 not sounding good

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Alright, pulled the trigger on 6 OPA827. Seems most people think they're just as good as the 627 sonically, at 40% the cost.
Yes, they spec out fantastically. BUT, an OPA1641 ($2.74) is within a whisker of the 827's specs at less than 1/3rd the cost. (827=$9.31)
I hope that the 827 works for you. It SHOULD be quite an improvement over the AD711 ($5.24), which has MUCH worse noise and distortion specs.
But, then there are the proponents who say that all opamps sound exactly the same. Let's hear YOUR results.

If nothing else, as long as the opamps are behaving well and the OP enjoys the process, he's certainly gained something for his labors. The AD711 isn't a bad chip, either, but certainly outpaced by newer offerings.

I agree that the 827 and the 627 should be pretty much identical in this spot.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Yes, they spec out fantastically. BUT, an OPA1641 ($2.74) is within a whisker of the 827's specs at less than 1/3rd the cost. (827=$9.31)
I hope that the 827 works for you. It SHOULD be quite an improvement over the AD711 ($5.24), which has MUCH worse noise and distortion specs.
But, then there are the proponents who say that all opamps sound exactly the same. Let's hear YOUR results.

All good advice, and to the OP well worth considering.

I like the OP275 better than a good many much more expensive and parametrically better devices. (I mentioned them a couple pages back.)

The OP275 is one of the better sounding op-amps regardless of specs.
The OPA1641/42 is one of the cleanest sounding JFET op amps I've heard, though some might find it almost bordering on harsh if not implemented correctly.

I don't agree the OPA827 sounds just as good as the OPA627. It may in the application the OP will be using them in.
I've used both within the feedback loop of other op-amps and it was no contest.

The OPA1641/42 is one of the cleanest sounding JFET op amps I've heard, though some might find it almost bordering on harsh if not implemented correctly.
Just EXACTLY what is 'implemented correctly'? Let's say that the IC power pins are bypassed correctly (close 0.1uF caps) and the power supply is well-regulated and filtered. What else needs to be addressed?

Let try to JFET-bipolar opamp combining, as suggestion of Mark as above and from Denon.

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    245.2 KB · Views: 384
Baffled by people who swap op amps!! Usually the circuit around them has been designed specifically for them. My advice, don't mess about with them unless you are sure all the components used to implement them are compatible with your new selection.

Op amps don't have a "sound" they have a specification which any designer will tell you....!!

Usually the circuit around them has been designed specifically for them.

"Usually" here means "less than 10% of the time", right?

The vast majority of opamp circuits are really generic and apart from stability and bypassing concerns opamps are easily swappable. Why would people, and here i mean "listeners", not try do adjust the sound to their own liking if it takes so little effort? And yes, the little critters most definitely have their own sound, even the same opamps made at different facilities do.

Opamp swapping, same as cap swapping has made many people, some of which lacking deep understanding, happy. Anything wrong with that?

No...usually all the time in any piece of kit worth buying! From O72's through 5534's to 797's, as chips advanced they have improved in noise and distortion. The manufacturers are quite specific as to their specification and implementation...all there for all to read.

No, this is just another component for the inveterate tweaker who are probably less qualified than the original designer...or should be.

If that is not the case you've bought the wrong piece of kit!.

It's the same argument for those that waste their time and money on "special" cables when they should have bought a pair of speakers that at least have half a chance of accurate performance in the first place and haven't been purchased because of marketing , brand name and snake oil...

So. you reopened a 5 year old tread, just to make totaly wrong statments?
In most cases, OPamps gets chosen because they have a ton of them already.
And why is it, that many kits comes with varius OPamp choices, with no other changes?
Why is it that ex Wayne at Pass labs recomend swaping OPamps for each liking on the Whammy HPA? are you saying that he don't know what he's doing? you know better?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.