AD797 not sounding good

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I dropped in some AD 797 into an Adcom GDA-700. Circuit diagram attached - see page 4.

I recapped the unit and added 100uF Silmic and 0.1uF MKP bypass to all V+ and V- pins.

In short, it doesn't sound that great. I put some OPA627 in a similar unit last year and Frankly the 627s smoke the 797.

I know the circuit implementation of the DAC is probably not ideal for the AD797. Any suggestions on simple changes to make this work?

Attachments

• Adcom GDA-700 Schematics.pdf
    330.1 KB · Views: 592
The AD797 is very high performance but, as a consequence, is somewhat notorious for exhibiting very high frequency oscillation unless carefully implemented. You would want to have low inductance bypass capacitors located right at the chip's supply pins. Also, try placing 100 ohm resistors in series with the 120pF feedback loop capacitors, C440 and C441.

this I/V circuit requires a unity gain stable op amp - the AD797 isn't without added parts that would also affect the response

I wouldn't be satisfied applying the mods with a AD797 without looking with a >50 MHz 'scope to verify

and the AD797 input current noise isn't suited to the >5k feedback R, the PCM 1702 low I out
some fet input op amps will give lower noise in this circuit than the AD797

Stole the words right out of my keyboard, Chris.

But there are a number of bad-for-the-application opamps. :D This certainly seems one case.

As has been flogged, the AD797 needs decent attention to what surrounds it. Incredibly linear when used right? You bet.

I see the recommended 100 Ohm resistors for C440 and C441 based on the data sheet. What happens when these are left out as they currently are?

Sounds like, when you add up these responses, the short of it is that the 797s aren't suitable for either of these stages. And, I take it, no simple modifications will make these work acceptably?

The OPA627 were actually used in a GDA-600 and are SOIC mounted on dual adapters, so aren't suitable for this unit.

I do, however, have some LME49710 available soon. Anyone see a problem for those?

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Daniel,
I agree with your take on things also.

Hi belgiangenius,
Try the OPA134 J-Fet op amps in this one. I know you'll like the results. The LME49xxx series are BJT inputs, so not really suited if the circuits did need the J-Fet type op amps. The OPA134 is unity gain stable.

There isn't anything wrong with socket adapters. Sometimes they are the only choice.

You really do have to examine the spec sheets for the original device and your candidates. When you're done that , read the application notes. What you have doe here was merrily picked a "best op amp" and stuck it into the application without configuring the circuit for it. Everyone answering your question does read the data sheets and the application section. Some of us even read the general application notes that these companies generate at great expense, but they are free tools for you to use.

-Chris

Just make sure it's the 4627--the 37 is compensated into G= +5

That said, the datasheet shows no DIP package. Maybe older stock?

Dang! No DIP. That's out.

My local supplier only has 2 OPA627 left and a bunch of OPA604.

Considering buying the 2 OPA627 for the gain stages and 4 OPA604 for the I/V stage and balanced inverter stage. I assume the gain stage would be more influenced by the opamp than the I/V stage?

Other way around, typically. I/V is pretty demanding and a good/fast/emi-resistant opamp is best there. In audio, I'd say I/V and phono input are the two most demanding spots for an opamp.

That said, OPA604's or OPA134's will also work well throughout.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.