Acoustat Answer Man is here

How did you determine that the 500M-ohm resistor is bad? Due to the extremely high value, these are not measurable with an ordinary ohmmeter (they will measure as an open circuit).

Finding an exact replacement will be difficult, as these resistors were always a special-order item for Acoustat. The good news is that the exact value is not citical - try to get as close to 500M as possible, although you could probably get away with going as low as 100M. I would not recommend a higher value than 500M.

Your best bet is to find something from a electronics surplus supplier, many of whom advertise on eBay. The resistor should be rated for at least 5000 volts (5kV). I would recommend replacing both resistors at the same time, especially if you use a different value from the original.

check out this eBay listing: 500MEG Ohm High Voltage Resistors IRC MVX 2 10KV | eBay

This appears to be the EXACT part you need to replace the 500M-ohm. I'm not sure why the photo shows three different sizes, but the description is right on the money.

How did you determine that the 500M-ohm resistor is bad? Due to the extremely high value, these are not measurable with an ordinary ohmmeter (they will measure as an open circuit).

Finding an exact replacement will be difficult, as these resistors were always a special-order item for Acoustat. The good news is that the exact value is not citical - try to get as close to 500M as possible, although you could probably get away with going as low as 100M. I would not recommend a higher value than 500M.

Your best bet is to find something from a electronics surplus supplier, many of whom advertise on eBay. The resistor should be rated for at least 5000 volts (5kV). I would recommend replacing both resistors at the same time, especially if you use a different value from the original.

I used a meter and followed the voltage to its end point and compared it to the good unit. I could be wrong but the resistor didn't look great either compared to the working one

I own a pair of Acoustat Model 6 that I purchased last year off Ebay USA for $1800.00USD and another $$1700.00 to send to Australia.

When they first arrived, they had some cracking noise - you could see the sparks at night! I sent emails to the original owner and he said he never had that issue at all. I cut the original speaker cloth and vacuum the whole unit with limited success. I check all the panels and found that some of the wires even touch the film already. I had to glue them back one by one and clean the wire the same time. In the end, I also used an industrial heat gun to re tension the panels. After that no more arcing or buzzing - No more blue sparks at night!

I replaced the speaker cloth and the speakers almost look like new.

I need some help in regards to the room placement of the speakers. My room is 6 meters x 7.5 meters. I tried a few different placement suggested by number of websites without a complete satisfaction. (They sounded better in my old house - smaller room in L shape)

I'll upload some pictures tonight.

Here is one of the photos.

Attachments

• 20130309_104216_1.jpg
    20130309_104216_1.jpg
    517.9 KB · Views: 279
I used a meter and followed the voltage to its end point and compared it to the good unit. I could be wrong but the resistor didn't look great either compared to the working one

That's a pretty good way to determine that the resistor has a problem. If it has any signs of physical damage, it should be replaced even if it seems to work okay electrically.

Did you see my other post directing you to a current eBay auction for a suitable replacement part?

...I need some help in regards to the room placement of the speakers. My room is 6 meters x 7.5 meters. I tried a few different placement suggested by number of websites without a complete satisfaction. (They sounded better in my old house - smaller room in L shape)

I'll upload some pictures tonight.

I'm happy to hear that you got your speakers working properly. Acoustats are hard to kill, but they do take a little loving care to keep them working well.

You didn't say what you didn't like about the sound in your current room, so it's a little hard to make specific recommendations. But looking at your photos, I might expect that the bare floors and large expanse of glass behind the speakers could be causing a lot of hard reflections. Generally, the speakers should be placed to form a (more or less) equilateral triangle with the listening position as the third point. The speakers should be aimed (more or less) at the listening position. You might want to try reducing the distance between the speakers and the rear wall.

In my experience, hifi systems always sound less satisfying when moved to a different room. Neither before or after was perfect, and each has its own set of peculiarities. So that 'reference sound' that you became accustomed to in the old room was considered 'right', and now the new room sounds 'wrong'. This is not to say that some optimization of current set-up might not be possible. It's just that it may take some time to grow accustomed to the new room.

Hi audioboat just to let you know that the difference between the model 6 and the Spectra 66 is in the three dimensional image the model 6 as a bigger sound and the Spectra 66 as a better image but both are very good speakers my friend Jocelyn as rebuilt and owned many Acoustats here are a few, 1+1s - 6s - Spectra 66s - Spectra 88s DIY - AND a few other pairs.

Attachments

• Serge_23.JPG
    Serge_23.JPG
    37.2 KB · Views: 81
  • 600x450xSerge_22.JPG.pagespeed.ic.xSs5K08AF8.jpg
    600x450xSerge_22.JPG.pagespeed.ic.xSs5K08AF8.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 95
  • 450x600xAcoustat_Spectra_8800_10.JPG.pagespeed.ic.QRCmB8IkXe.jpg
    450x600xAcoustat_Spectra_8800_10.JPG.pagespeed.ic.QRCmB8IkXe.jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 87
  • Pierre_01.jpg
    Pierre_01.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 74
  • 450x600xSerge_03_750x1000.jpg.pagespeed.ic.rBZ627RWYe.jpg
    450x600xSerge_03_750x1000.jpg.pagespeed.ic.rBZ627RWYe.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 79
  • Keep_It_Simple_1600_X_1200.JPG
    Keep_It_Simple_1600_X_1200.JPG
    27.5 KB · Views: 217
  • Base_Acoustat_6.jpg
    Base_Acoustat_6.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 80
I did not make the issue clear enough - that is my fault.

My old listening room is L shape and much smaller (3.8Meters x 5meters) than the current setup. The speakers offered more bass than the new room. (in the current listening position) If I walk around the room, I can hear more bass near the back. It seems that the bass has been cancelled off right in the middle of the room where chair is. I tried to move the speakers or the chair without much luck.

I have not started the room treatment as yet. (I didn't do any room treatment at my old house either)

Any suggestions?

audioboat toe the speakers in more and move the speakers back some, it will take some experimentation , but you will find a sweet spot.
You also have your TV right on the same plane as your speakers, keep the TV back from the speakers and maybe put a wool blanket over when listening as an experiment.
When you having them sounding good, you can play around with toe in a little more. paying attention to imaging + wideness of the soundstage.

Being that your last room was much smaller, your speakers loaded the room more than the bigger room. But Placement can make a big difference.
Good luck.

Audioboat, I'm using 2+2's in a 33ft wide by 90ft long room with ceiling 12'3", the speakers are 15ft off the rear wall and approx 18' between them, I sit 70' from them. I have never heard these acoustats sound better, I was never really fond of them till I got them in this room, and the wow factor set in. The volume knob is lower and the output is greater and fullest sound, ex knob at 12 now at 9, they use the room to expand

Delta Star, with a room like that not taking anything away from you're 2+2s because i know what they can do when they have ROOM to breathe I would be looking for a pair of Spectra 66 or 6600s and maybe if you have DIY experience why not build yourself 8800s you have the room for any of those and dollar for dollar you will be laughing all the way to the bank .

PS: Nice to see ANOTHER happy Acoustat user.:):):)

Audioboat, I'm using 2+2's in a 33ft wide by 90ft long room with ceiling 12'3", the speakers are 15ft off the rear wall and approx 18' between them, I sit 70' from them. I have never heard these acoustats sound better, I was never really fond of them till I got them in this room, and the wow factor set in. The volume knob is lower and the output is greater and fullest sound, ex knob at 12 now at 9, they use the room to expand
If only I had a room that size, I would be in heaven, what a challenge with all my builds. I would have a field day, what a challenge, it would be heaven.

If only I had a room that size, I would be in heaven, what a challenge with all my builds. I would have a field day, what a challenge, it would be heaven.

Yes JAMESBOS , with a room like that i would have these in the room same as my friend Jocelyn Acoustat DIY Spectra 8800s all steel frame 800 pounds of pure joy ( once in place ) :):):)

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Hi audioboat just to let you know that the difference between the model 6 and the Spectra 66 is in the three dimensional image the model 6 as a bigger sound and the Spectra 66 as a better image but both are very good speakers my friend Jocelyn as rebuilt and owned many Acoustats here are a few, 1+1s - 6s - Spectra 66s - Spectra 88s DIY - AND a few other pairs.

Is that a Model 6 pushed up against a 2+2 (Model 10? 5+5?) in that one photo? Holy cow!