Acoustat Answer Man is here

Is that a Model 6 pushed up against a 2+2 (Model 10? 5+5?) in that one photo? Holy cow!

Hi hella356 , it's a pair of Spectra 44s & Spectra 66s together all on one Krell KRS-100 mono blocks per side YEP 20 Panels total i have heard that system to BUT my preference is still for Jocelyn's Spectra 8800s because they are ALL the same panels , in the other two the Spectra 44s have Italian panels the sound is not quite the same as the USA panels.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Acoustat_Spectra_4400_Italie_02.gif

Have a look at my current setup drawing.

Any suggestions?

Maybe a question of choice BUT i prefer not to angle to much try opening them more, if at first you don't succeed try try try again, These are 2 feet from the side walls and 7 feet from the rear wall.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Last edited:
James this is my hobby :)
My acoustats aren't lonely :) I have lots more to acompany them. some are to heavy to lug into the room. The room is a work in progress.

My hobby is building them as I can't afford to buy all these expensive speakers! If I had a bigger room I could build big, and really listen in a proper sized room. I could let my imagination run away with me, no knowing what would come out as I have many ideas running through my mind.:mad:

Joined 2005
Paid Member
Delta, I also have / had a few... Martin Logan CLS I, CLS II, Apogee Duetta Sigs, Magnepan Tympani T-IVa, Tympani T-ID, MGIIIa, MG1.6, MG.5, MMG, SMGA, Acoustat Model 3, Spectra 22, Sanders 10c. Also building a monster Model 6 with 12 panels. (Bold is currently in my possession)

I have my fav, but if you tell me your fav, I will tell you mine:eek:

Acoustat cloth cleaning...

Hi all, I just found/and joined this group today, so forgive me if my post seems a bit novice to everyone. I have a pair of Acoustat speakers which I purchased from an old friend of mine some 15 years ago who had purchased them new back in the early 80's. He was a heavy smoker and the cloth on these speakers has been stained with the smoke residue. Is there anyway to clean these? or is there a place I can purchase new covers for them? I am hesitant to spray anything on them for fear of ruining the panels inside. I have had these on my 3rd floor (where my secondary system is located - my "man-cave"). I would have them as my main speakers in the living room, however, the cats, with their claws, and the speakers would not be a good combination.

Thank you for any information.

Daniel

Hi all, I just found/and joined this group today, so forgive me if my post seems a bit novice to everyone. I have a pair of Acoustat speakers which I purchased from an old friend of mine some 15 years ago who had purchased them new back in the early 80's. He was a heavy smoker and the cloth on these speakers has been stained with the smoke residue. Is there anyway to clean these? or is there a place I can purchase new covers for them? I am hesitant to spray anything on them for fear of ruining the panels inside. I have had these on my 3rd floor (where my secondary system is located - my "man-cave"). I would have them as my main speakers in the living room, however, the cats, with their claws, and the speakers would not be a good combination.

Thank you for any information.

Daniel

They can be washed, although removing the socks is a chore. I washed mine, but ended up replacing the stock fabric with stretched Spandex, with much better results, both sonically & visually.

As I remember, Dan told me he didn't have a schematic. But I have always been curious as to how he drew and had made those new boards that he used in his statement version of the servo amps. I only ever saw his own pair as the remainder of those 20 pairs he had made had already gone out.

Of course, one of the first mods was to remove the protection circuit. My pairs both had 2 switches you had to flip in order. First, for the tube heaters and then once they'd been on for a couple of minutes the second switch to give 'em voltage. You had to reverse that on shut-down. But there's the rub. Though sonic-ally superior, it opened up the amps to damage if the power was suddenly removed and then quickly applied again. That's exactly what toasted my first pair and without Dan I couldn't quite revive them. The second pair didn't have all the mods so I decided to sell.

Danny Fanny Servos?

Acoustat Servo Tube Amp Amplifier Audio ESL Electrostatic Speaker Panel | eBay

Dan Fanny Servos

Dan Fanny, creator of the American Hybrid Technology line of electronics, took the original direct coupled Acoustat X amps to their ultimate conclusion, redesigning the solid state front end to use 7308/6922/6DJ8, taking out the protection circuit, swapping the 6HB5 for the more powerful 6LB6 cap tube, and swapping numerous caps, etc. When I got involved, we had full wave transformers built that took the amp to another level. Still one of the best amps I have ever heard. Once Danny sold his preamp and other electronic intellectual property to Lloyd Walker, Dan just seemed to disappear...:confused:

The e bay listing is still active.. That's not Dan Fanny selling those servo's. I hope the seller isn't one of us here and if he is......your ad was an amusing read...:eek:
oh i had to type in Acoustat in e bay's search bar to see the ad, the link didn't work for me...
You guys must see this!!!